In detention room in Suvarnabhumi. Don't know what's happening

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

20+ flights a day to KUL, can't see any reason the OP was held more than an hour or two.

They said that the airline with which I flew is responsible to transport me back. I've been here for 24 hours now.... On the airline  website, it's showing that there is no flight to Kuala Lumpur today but yesterday they said the flight was confirmed for today....

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

What exactly is a "digital nomad".  I always thought it was somebody who worked on line, often from country to country and never paying any taxes based on their income, hence becoming an aggravation to many countries if visited regularly.  Am I right or is that just a misconception on my part ?

Ibn my opinion, you are right..

glegolo

• Like 2

Just now, Zhanna said:

I pay taxes in my home country. I work for translation services. My tax is deducted from my pay every month

So that suggests you work for a company then if you have tax deducted monthly, correct ?. I thought digital nomads worked for themselves. Am I missing something here ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zhanna said:

My definition of digital nomad is that it's a traveler (i.e. nomad) who works digitally (hence digital). AT least as the name suggests, there is no implication that the person works for themselves and/or evades taxes

That's interesting but this extract is from Wiki which suggests something else, especially the ultimate sentence ! ;

"Legal developments[edit]

Many digital nomads tend to come from more developed nations with passports allowing a greater degree of freedom of travel. As a result, many tend to travel on a tourist visa.[28]While it is technically illegal for a digital nomad to work in a country on a tourist visa, many digital nomads tend to reside in locations with a lower cost of living while working remotely on projects outside their country of residence. In most countries, as long as the nomad is discreet and is not taking a job away from a local person, the authorities will turn a blind eye to nomad work. Visa runs are also often common in the digital nomad community. Some nomads have also attempted to legalize their stay by taking up part-time jobs in teaching English as well as taking university courses in their host country. In addition, digital nomads are often using their status as permanent travelers to escape the tax liability in their home countries without, however, immigrating to the tax system of another country"

• Like 2

Did you get the option to buy your own ticket and fly out asap by yourself? 

When first denied and detained, you are able to go back to an embassy and fly in with new visa, or you have quarantine before a new enter to the country? 

• Like 1

I can't imagine the question "what is the purpose of your visit to Thailand" has not been asked. 

Based on the original post, it seems something along the lines of "I am a digital nomad" may have been the answer. Or, "I am working in Thailand". 

Just get on the next flight out and don't tell immigration officials you are working in their country without a work permit next time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Did you get the option to buy your own ticket and fly out asap by yourself? 

When first denied and detained, you are able to go back to an embassy and fly in with new visa, or you have quarantine before a new enter to the country? 

they told me that most airlines won't accept me. Plus, the airline said they'd pay for the ticket - why would I refuse?

3 minutes ago, Zhanna said:

they told me that most airlines won't accept me. Plus, the airline said they'd pay for the ticket - why would I refuse?

Good question why should you refuse such and offer, now you know I guess. I would never let myself been detained if I could get out of there asap with another flight. You did not have 20 000,- in cash on your when you arrived, or any savings or credit cards? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You are supposed to have 10k THB (can be in another currency) cash with you when entering with a visa on arrival, so for this they could also have denied you.

According to the current interpretation of Thai authorities working online with no connections to Thailand (except your physical presence) is not considered as working in Thailand, so it doesn't require a work permit and can be done while in Thailand on a tourist visa.

Where did you get that information? As far as I understand things that is not true at all. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You only pay for the room if you sign the paper and agree to pay for it.

Without signing the paper the airline has to pay for it according to the law

Whatabout the "return" ticket if you a forced back to another destination, will the airline pay that also if you dont sign the paper? 

2 minutes ago, meand said:

Where did you get that information? As far as I understand things that is not true at all. 

From the actions of Thai authorities in the past. We saw several news where people were found to be working online on a Tourist by Thai authorities, but these people were not charged for working without work permit and just let go.

We didn't see a single news about somebody being arrested / deported for working online on a tourist visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhanna said:

I was going to get visa on arrival. I submitted my documents but they complained about the passport. I stay in Thailand a lot because I like the apartments. and then when the visa is out I fly somewhere else.

You work without a work permit and don't pay taxes here. They finally are doing something about this. Time to get a proper visa or move to another country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Zhanna said:

the reason you would consider refusing to fly on the airline that brought you in is you might be able to leave detention sooner by buying a ticket on another airline.

you did the right thing by refusing to sign the papers (written in thai), reportedly by signing you then agree to pay for your detention and go back to where you came from on the airline that brought you to thailand.  if you do not sign, you do not have to pay for the detention and you can buy a ticket on another airline and go to a destination of your choice.

i understand that some airlines may not accept you but you don't need to wait to go back to KL on the airline that brought you to BKK.  i'd offer to pay your own way on the airline that brought you, they don't want to have to give you free transport so they'll likely set you up with a flight to any city they fly to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your problem is a result from getting to many visas on arrival back to back. There have been other reports of people being denied entry for that reason.

I highly suggest you get a single entry tourist visa while in Kuala Lumpur. You apply for it the morning of one day and pick up the next afternoon.

Click on tourist visa to open the checklist for the application you will need to download and print  to submit with the application and click on the link at the bottom of this page to make an appointment. 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/99061-Visa-Requirements-II.html

But won't the Thai authorities deport him back to the country of which he holds a passport, in this case Kazakhstan ? If so shouldn't he apply for a tourist visa in Kazakhstan ?

21 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You are supposed to have 10k THB (can be in another currency) cash with you when entering with a visa on arrival, so for this they could also have denied you.

They didn't ask for it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

But won't the Thai authorities deport him back to the country of which he holds a passport, in this case Kazakhstan ? If so shouldn't he apply for a tourist visa in Kazakhstan ? 

He will not be "deported", he is just denied entry, this is not the same.

4 minutes ago, Zhanna said:

They didn't ask for it.

They hardly ever do, this makes it more easy for them. They didn't see it, so you didn't have it, so you can be denied for not having money ????

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2