In detention room in Suvarnabhumi. Don't know what's happening

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

No and no.

You are confusing deportation (commonly for criminals and overstayers) with denial of entry. They are very different.

He is being detained airside. i.e. not in Thailand. Immigration want to hand him off to the airline who brought him, one way or another. This is almost certainly the way he will leave the detention room in Suvannaphum. The same airline is the way it is done. Nationality is largely irrelevant.

Many thanks for clarification on that issue. But can the airline deny him return ?

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

From the actions of Thai authorities in the past. We saw several news where people were found to be working online on a Tourist by Thai authorities, but these people were not charged for working without work permit and just let go.

We didn't see a single news about somebody being arrested / deported for working online on a tourist visa.

Even assuming that is true, you have to understand what you are saying. The fact is you are at the mercy of any given immigration officer's discretion. 

Showing up in Thailand as a digital nomad on a tourist visa, and declaring "I am a tourist" to immigration, probably no problem. 

Conversely, showing up in Thailand as a digital nomad on a tourist visa, and declaring "I will work here, but only just a little bit on my computer", is a very unwise course of action. Paying taxes or not does not matter at all either btw. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Many thanks for clarification on that issue. But can the airline deny him return ?

Yes, but .....

the airlines can refuse to take him if he doesn't pay but the airlines have to work with the Thai authorities day in, day out and they will be under a lot of pressure to take him. 

In this case, visa on arrival, they may be obliged to take him. However, in cases where foreigners had legit visas, the airline does not appear to have been negligent so I can't see the existence of an obligation.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

what does a digital nomad actually do?

I asked this question earlier on the thread. Best go back and read the thread as we have been advised earlier that the thread is about the detention of someone, not about discussing digital nomads.

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, but .....

the airlines can refuse to take him if he doesn't pay but the airlines have to work with the Thai authorities day in, day out and they will be under a lot of pressure to take him. 

In this case, visa on arrival, they may be obliged to take him. However, in cases where foreigners had legit visas, the airline does not appear to have been negligent so I can't see the existence of an obligation.

Given that then what happens ?, The Thais can not make an airline take somebody back if they had a proper VISA so surely the only re-course would be to return him to the country of which he has a passport, Kazakhstan, something I already mentioned earlier.

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

Given that then what happens ?, The Thais can not make an airline take somebody back if they had a proper VISA so surely the only re-course would be to return him to the country of which he has a passport, Kazakhstan, something I already mentioned earlier.

I think the airline will cave. i.e. take him and then try to recover the money later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

20+ flights a day to KUL, can't see any reason the OP was held more than an hour or two.

But isn't his departing flight restricted to the airline he flew in on?  That narrows down availability considerably.

Just now, dddave said:

But isn't his departing flight restricted to the airline he flew in on?  That narrows down availability considerably.

Yes, you are correct. Also the flights on that particular airline could be full.

1 hour ago, Zhanna said:

I am Russian and my passport is Kazakhstan

Just to ensure clarity. You have a Kazakhstan passport, so hence you are a Kazakhstan national correct ? Are you also a passport holder of a former Soviet Union state because as you will be aware Kazakhstan does not normally allow dual citizenship unless there is an agreement with one of these former states.  So hence you would be considered a Kazak national only.  That may influence where the Thais return you to if the original inbound airline refuses to return you to the originating airport.

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Actually, the cost of the detention must be borne by the Thai authorities when the denied entry was not due to negligence on the airline's part.

The reality is they have runners who go and buy food and water for you as long as you give them money.

Just now, Briggsy said:

Mate, you keep going on about him getting sent to Kazakhstan. That is not what happens in 99.99% of cases. This is NOT a deportation. The airline that brought him in will take him back to Malaysia.

A large minority of Kazakh nationals are ethnic Russian. Perhaps that is what he meant.

Well actually that is not what I meant. They may be ethnic Russians but they only have Kazakh passports and right of abode in Kazakhstan, not in Russia, a sore point with many and is  something you learn from the locals if you ever worked there.

But my actually point was ; should the inboard airline refuse to take him back, which they may or may not do, where would the primary return country be for the Thai authorities ?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

20+ flights a day to KUL, can't see any reason the OP was held more than an hour or two.

School holidays in every other country except Thailand and most direct flights are chockers. Plus the airline needs to come up with an empty seat first. They won't bump a paying passenger to make space for the OP whose fare they have to pay for themselves.

Edited by NanLaew
gr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Well actually that is not what I meant. They may be ethnic Russians but they only have Kazakh passports and right of abode in Kazakhstan, not in Russia, a sore point with many and is  something you learn from the locals if you ever worked there.

But my actually point was ; should the inboard airline refuse to take him back, which they may or may not do, where would the primary return country be for the Thai authorities ?

The inbound airline has the responsibility of removing the inadmissible person. They cannot shirk that responsibility even if they were completely blameless. Usually, they will return the passenger to the last embarkation point. If that is not possible (the person has no visa, for instance) they can take him anywhere else that will admit the passenger. If ever in this situation, you should leverage this reality, plus the fact that the airline must remove you even if you do not pay.  Decide where you want to go (that the airline has flights to) and make clear you will pay without argument for that flight, but resist attempts to get you to pay if they try to fly you elsewhere, or (especially) try to get you to purchase additional flight coupons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zhanna said:

Thanks for replying, Jack. I did not sign the paper. All I want is to fly back to Kuala Lumpur. The representative of the airline said the flight is today but today they are telling me it is tomorrow. The wardens refuse to answer any questions. They are not telling me what time the flight is tomorrow. Just because they lied yesterday, I find it hard to believe them.... And I have no way to check which flight I am on because I was not the one who booked it (the airline did) and I don't know the reservation number.

Hi Zhanna. What is your nationality and where you from? Are you Malaysian? 

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote from another topic
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

The inbound airline has the responsibility of removing the inadmissible person. They cannot shirk that responsibility even if they were completely blameless. Usually, they will return the passenger to the last embarkation point. If that is not possible (the person has no visa, for instance) they can take him anywhere else that will admit the passenger. If ever in this situation, you should leverage this reality, plus the fact that the airline must remove you even if you do not pay.  Decide where you want to go (that the airline has flights to) and make clear you will pay without argument for that flight, but resist attempts to get you to pay if they try to fly you elsewhere, or (especially) try to get you to purchase additional flight coupons.

"they can take him anywhere else that will admit the passenger ", which ultimately must be their country of origin, in this case Kazakhstan !!

Relax sit and reflect. Being detained wont kill you and enjoy the free boiled rice and chicken bits while they figure out what to do with you. Your free to claim you have no money and can't pay for a flight anywhere, nobody got a life sentence in detention that Im aware of

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

Relax sit and reflect. Being detained wont kill you and enjoy the free boiled rice and chicken bits while they figure out what to do with you. Your free to claim you have no money and can't pay for a flight anywhere, nobody got a life sentence in detention that Im aware of

Isn't telling them that you don't have money exactly the wrong step when you're planning to come back to Thailand?

Isn't that an often used reason by the IO for denying him/her entry into Thailand? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Isn't telling them that you don't have money exactly the wrong step when you're planning to come back to Thailand?

Isn't that an often used reason by the IO for denying him/her entry into Thailand? 

Yes and Yes but he is already in detention awaiting deportation. How much worse can it possibly get?

• Thanks 1