To Keep the Brain Trust Active

Gonzo the Face

As I get older I find that I have to agree with a great man who said " A mime is a terrible thing to waste." Words spoken by Marcel Marceau.  As I get older I think I am loosing my mime. So I find that I would like to request help from the TV Brain Trust again. 
I have a guesthouse and restaurant, as many of you know, for over 20 years now.  Close to two years back I was visited by the powers that be and was told that after operating as a guesthouse for over 20 years , I could no longer rent rooms to my customers by the night, but they would let me rent by the month. Well having the vast majority of clients who are backpackers and trekkers, who don't stay for more than a few days, that pretty much wiped out the guesthouse clientele. 
For years   we have had a relatively good restaurant business having a very interesting menu and, as our customers report, very good and very economical food.  Very honestly I can say that we have not had a food complaint in the total time being here.  The guesthouse business did supply a great percentage of our food business.  We have had a very good following from various groups in the come, stay for a few years and then return home, categories. But they seem to not be coming to Chiang Mai as much,  any longer.  What I am saying overall is that business has slowed to a trickle, to become more of a worry than like a labor of love.

Some time back we even advertised on this forum, offering a 10% discount to all identifying members.  Many of the members are no longer with us or no longer here.  But any TV member giving their TV name still gets the discount.  Groups for breakfast are very desirable but harder and harder to find. Heaven forbid, I have even thought of selling., but this has been my home for about 30 years now and I find it hard to envision moving.  
So believing that two minds are better than one, it stands to reason a couple hundred are better than two.  So if you would, how about helping a former gimp out.  OK Brain Trust , What can you suggest to turn things around.  Any suggestions???
Thanks in advance.
Gonzo

Lets assume that the daily rate is 500 baht, but ur not allowed to rent by the day, only the month. 

Draw up contracts where the customer agrees to stay for the month for a total monthly rental of 500 baht. If they choose to check out after 1 day, then that's fine. You have followed the letter of the law and you can charge what you like for your rooms. It is your business after all. ????

11 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Lets assume that the daily rate is 500 baht, but ur not allowed to rent by the day, only the month. 

Draw up contracts where the customer agrees to stay for the month for a total monthly rental of 500 baht. If they choose to check out after 1 day, then that's fine. You have followed the letter of the law and you can charge what you like for your rooms. It is your business after all. ????

Don't think I haven't thought along those lines.  Buuut I am a falang and have been living in Thailand for any years,  They would get me.  That may work back home but I don't want to chance it here.

I think a lot of people aren't aware of frozen food items you keep in your freezer.  I've been taking advantage of this and it gives me more options for easy to heat meals and desserts.  Maybe I'm an exception since I eat most of my meals at home.

It wasn't until I asked how you can keep so many items on your menu and that I can buy them still frozen in portions, so if you advertised this, it may open up more business to people like myself.

We have had to jump through hoops with our business to comply with health and safety and obtain licences, as does everyone else.

So, you know what I am going to say.....

Why dont you address the issues required to get the licence and stop whinging on about it or sell it and let someone else gleefully tackle it.

14 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

We have had to jump through hoops with our business to comply with health and safety and obtain licences, as does everyone else.

Why don't you address the issues required to get the licence and stop whinging on about it or sell it and let someone else gleefully tackle it.

.....so you think I am "whinging" .  Weeelll just maybe you don't  know what the current difficulty and current confusion of getting a license for my type of business is.   

You know what ... when HE designed us, he designed the brain much larger than the mouth.   

Its a shame that some people on this forum seem to get that backwards.

Gonzo , did you check on the 2 year waiver for licenses under Article 44.

Did you pay your Tesabahn taxes yet for this year? If they let you pay for the one which is a piece of harder white paper (something like Safety and Waste on title); that will mean they are ignoring the issue of license. It would be well worth checking this, it could well mean you are fine for the next 2 years at least.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, eyecatcher said:

Why dont you address the issues required to get the licence and stop whinging on about it or sell it and let someone else gleefully tackle it.

You simply can't in many cases, the buildings and structures aren't build to be compatible with the hotel laws or in other cases they straight out refuse to issue a license or it takes years. Many want to comply and paying a bit of money for the licensing fees is not their problem, if it was that easy - but it isn't.

Only thing you could get away with is the under 4 rooms/20 guests rule where you wouldnt need a license, doesnt work for most people tho.

Getting a hotel license is no straightforward process at all, i guess your business isn't a hotel, is it?

Archived