BANGKOK
simon43

Nong Khai border crossing now has finger print sensors

2 weeks ago when I crossed back into Thailand from Laos, there were no machines.

This afternoon when I crossed back, there were finger print sensor machines in use, with a bevvy of friendly Thai women to advise and help those who were confused by the machines ==> right hand 4 fingers, left hand 4 fingers and then both thumbs.

My turn came, the finger-printing went fine and then the usual confusion when the IO saw my Elite visa.  Cue discussion with IO colleagues as to how to process this!  5 minutes later and I'm back in with another year stamp.

I'll repeat this next weekend (I'm in the middle of relocating to Laos, so am moving my worldly goods one box at a time each weekend) 🙂

• Like 2

If they rolled that out at the main airport , you'd be starting to cue before leaving the plane

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

If they rolled that out at the main airport , you'd be starting to cue before leaving the plane

The airports got this first, see for example here:

• Like 1

Simon43 is moving on and out. WOW. Good luck as I have read you posts for quite some time. What is the reason for out of here? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

They have, and I stood in line for about five minutes when I arrived a couple of months back.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I do not share the same opinion of this military junta and its cronies

What the F are you smoking dude!!! Hypocrisy at it finest

"Human rights in Myanmar under its military regime have long been regarded as among the worst in the world."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Myanmar

"The military of Burma holds a large amount of power in the government, despite the end of the last Burmese military dictatorship."

Why would any normal human run away to the 2 s##t holes Laos or Myanmar? enjoy LMAO !

Edited by madmen
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The uncertainty on visa rules and reporting requirements for foreigners is such that I'm no longer prepared to base my future in this country.

You and hundreds of others...apparently including tourists from western countries...Thailand is no long a most favored tourist or retirement destination...will continue to fail as a destination of choice...

• Like 1

Here is the thing though, in SEA, what seems to be easy and accessible as far as visa, permits and living in a respective country, could turn overnight not to be so like the case in Thailand where everything was simple and straightforward until some paranoids got up one day and moved the goalposts again and again, asian people has this inheritable fear of foreigners, and will try to limit and contain them to pender to their electorate by creating even more fear hence tightening of regulations and so forth...

...permits and living in a respective country, could turn overnight not to be so like the case in Thailand where everything was simple and straightforward until some paranoids got up one day and moved the goalposts again and again...

Very true indeed.  At least in both Myanmar and Laos, PR is relatively easy and cheap to obtain.

• Like 1

Now I'm confused, @simon43. If you already have PR in Laos, why the need for you to get a business visa (as you mentioned in another recent thread)?

I wholeheartedly agree with your take on regular Thai people vs. the Thai government / officialdom.