BANGKOK 20 August 2019 01:44
volleyowl

Singing at Central World/Any mall in Bangkok

Posted (edited)

Hello there!

How could one start singing at a mall in BKK? Do I need a demo of some sort? I was thinking of having some songs on Youtube to show, in case whoever I spoke to at the mall needed to hear any of my work.

I need to note that I am an expat (legally employed with a work permit and Non-B visa in Thailand) and I am unsure if I am even legally able to sing on stage at a mall here (I wouldn't see why not, but then again, this is not my native country, so who knows). 

Earlier today, I went to the mall and saw a live singing group (singing English songs) and thought what .. the.. hell. They were really bad. Not in key and not doing the song -any- justice. Ouch. I am not saying I am "so much better" but I have been told by my vocal coach (and others) that my range is similar to Christina Aguilera (I have taken singing lessons for about 13 years), therefore, I humbly believe that I could do better (plus, singing has always been a hobby of mine. It helped in the tough times, for sure). It also helps that have a firm handle on vocal control and vary in range, so I hope to do a better job with my singing.

Do you know how I could get started with singing at the mall? Who would I need to contact? I may have a Thai translator with me (as I am still learning Thai) but if she is not available, I may need to negotiate/speak to the appropriate individual(s) myself. 

Do people who sing at the mall (bands, singers with their own group) - receive compensation? It isn't required for me, but of course, payment would be a great bonus. As an expat, if I did receive payment, will that pose any issue? As mentioned, I have a work permit and a Non-B visa, but am unsure if singing at a mall (again, I just thought of this today after seeing the horrid singers and band on-stage LOL) is something that I could legally do in Thailand. Hopefully I could, as now the idea of singing is really starting to excite me since it is also a hobby of mine. 

Thank you very much for your help!

Edited by volleyowl
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

What an interesting post. As for the work permit, I do think that getting a permit to work as a teacher (say) might not allow you to sing. Things are not always as they seem here in LOS, and what should be easy can be difficult.

When I first came to Thailand  went to Pattaya, I wrote a 20 minute stand up comedy routine based on my very limited experiences. Couldn't get a bar owner to participate. So I went down a different route. Translated the script into Thai, and helped my Thai nephew get started on the scene.

Good luck with the singing. Hope to hear you sometime.

Edited by owl sees all

Posted (edited)

Why would you want to sing in a mall as opposed to a bar?

Anyhow, suggest to avoid these sort of idiotic ideas in Thailand.

And yes, you'd probably need a work permit and singing in a very public place like a mall is the worst sort of publicity you want.

Just stick to karaoke.

Edited by varun
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 7:37 PM, owl sees all said:

What an interesting post. As for the work permit, I do think that getting a permit to work as a teacher (say) might not allow you to sing. Things are not always as they seem here in LOS, and what should be easy can be difficult.

When I first came to Thailand  went to Pattaya, I wrote a 20 minute stand up comedy routine based on my very limited experiences. Couldn't get a bar owner to participate. So I went down a different route. Translated the script into Thai, and helped my Thai nephew get started on the scene.

Good luck with the singing. Hope to hear you sometime.

Thanks for the encouragement, Owl sees all. BTW, nice nickname lol. 

I think being able to speak Thai would up my credibility, so I may definitely need to go with someone that can translate. People tend to be biased against, rather than for, farangs, regardless of how nice and personable you are. At the end of the day, in their eyes, you still are a foreigner. 

I'll let you know if/when I'll be on stage sometime :) Thanks again! 

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 8:19 AM, varun said:

Why would you want to sing in a mall as opposed to a bar?

Anyhow, suggest to avoid these sort of idiotic ideas in Thailand.

And yes, you'd probably need a work permit and singing in a very public place like a mall is the worst sort of publicity you want.

Just stick to karaoke.

Why? Because that is my choice, that is why. People such as yourself will always be one of those idiots judging others from the outside and trying to deter others from things they know nothing about, and at the end of the day it is only the stagnant and judgmental that are the true idiots.

Also, I do not drink, so why would I want to waste my time in a place where there are plastered/shmammered people. Besides, drunken karaoke singers are very obnoxious and 'think' they are good when they just need to stop. 

Edited by volleyowl
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, volleyowl said:

Also, I do not drink, so why would I want to waste my time in a place where there are plastered/shmammered people.

Generally you'll find much better acoustics in a bar than a mall.

If you were to proceed with this, you'd be all over local social media in five minutes, and any initial praise would quickly be weighed down with barbs about you taking a Thai job, and questions about whether you're legal. Work permits here are tricky and typically location specific, and those who arranged yours are unlikely to give their blessing here - you could easily end up on the wrong side of the law in a very public way and lose whatever WP privileges you presently have. I do appreciate your sentiment, as a lot of public performances of Western music here are piss-poor, but it's an idea fraught with difficulties. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 12:02 PM, volleyowl said:

Do you know how I could get started with singing at the mall?

Probably you would need a WP for singing.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:21 AM, volleyowl said:

Why? Because that is my choice, that is why. People such as yourself will always be one of those idiots judging others from the outside and trying to deter others from things they know nothing about, and at the end of the day it is only the stagnant and judgmental that are the true idiots.

Also, I do not drink, so why would I want to waste my time in a place where there are plastered/shmammered people. Besides, drunken karaoke singers are very obnoxious and 'think' they are good when they just need to stop. 

The fact that you are this naive shows you know nothing about Thailand.

Like it or not - it is open season on farangs everywhere - in the workplace, on the street and that goes double for those operating in grey areas.

It is definitely your choice to sing publicly in any mall.

But it is also BIB's choice to shake you down, fine you and possibly toss you in the slammer on at least threaten you with it.

Finding gainful (legal) employment as a singer/entertainer in a hotel bar/restaurant is one thing - 

but that is definitely not what you're after.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You go to a nightclub like tawan daeng and ask them to sing a song.

Friend of us did the same, she sang 2 songs with the band on stage and got 3 1000 baht billets in her bra after it from other guests.

If you're good, i mean really good like our friend is, those places can help you out.

• Thanks 1

You can also go to those huge karaoke places like karaoke city, ask for a room near the entrance and they'll be hanging for the windows of your bungalow if you're good.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:34 AM, lamyai3 said:

Generally you'll find much better acoustics in a bar than a mall.

If you were to proceed with this, you'd be all over local social media in five minutes, and any initial praise would quickly be weighed down with barbs about you taking a Thai job, and questions about whether you're legal. Work permits here are tricky and typically location specific, and those who arranged yours are unlikely to give their blessing here - you could easily end up on the wrong side of the law in a very public way and lose whatever WP privileges you presently have. I do appreciate your sentiment, as a lot of public performances of Western music here are piss-poor, but it's an idea fraught with difficulties. 

This.

In order for a prospective employer, e.g., nightclub owner, hotel manager, etc., to apply for a work permit for a foreign musician, that employer has to provide a compelling reason why the job can't be done by a Thai.

You can probably count the number of venues that provide work permits for farang musicians in Thailand on one hand, and the guys who have those gigs locked down aren't planning on going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Send demotapes to several malls, restaurants, bars etc, if they are good enough someone might hire you.  

Edited by balo

15 minutes ago, balo said:

Send demotapes to several malls, restaurants, bars etc, if they are good enough someone might hire you.  

This gave me a great income idea that i would not even need a work permit for.

I can send recordings of me singing to different malls, and they would probably pay me good money not to sing there.:shock1: 

• Haha 1