New passport transfer of visa

Will be getting a new Australian passport shortly. Im just wondering what the process is once I get hold of the new passport. Can I have the visa stamp transferred when I do my 3 monthly visa run to Nong Khai (Vientianne), and if so where exactly do i do this? At the border or at an office nearby or, do I have to do this at CW prior to doing the visa run? There may be a 1 or 2 week gap between me getting the passport and doing the visa run.

Assuming you are referring to having a single/multiple entry non-immigrant visa that may still be valid.

From my experience dealing with a similar situation, when you receive new passport, you will also receive a letter in English that tells immigration to transfer stamps into new passport.  You bring the old passport (if you have it), new passport, and the letter that come from the new passport.

Your visa will stay in the old passport.   It is the exit stamp that will go in the new passport.

If you need to still use the valid, non-immigrant visa in the old passport to enter, my understanding is that you would need to show the visa from old passport.  And you will receive all new stamps in the new passport.

A visa cannot be transferred. You have use both passports on entry to the country if you have a valid multiple entry visa in your old passport to use it for entry to the country until it expires.

On the first departure from the country you will show both passports and immigration will stamp you out of the country in the new one after transfering your entry stamp to it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

On the first departure from the country you will show both passports and immigration will stamp you out of the country in the new one after transfering your entry stamp to it.

Do you first need to go to your local Immigration Office, after your new passport arrives?

Or do you simply present the old and new passport when leaving the country on a border run, and they do everything at the border?

Maybe one for Ubonjoe. 

Also this occurred long time ago so I'm bit fuzzy on it. I went to CW to transfer reentry permit to new passport. When io saw it was issued at DM airport told me he cannot. Perhaps it was just lost in translation. Anyway I just carried both passports for international travel until my next extension.

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Maybe one for Ubonjoe. 

Also this occurred long time ago so I'm bit fuzzy on it. I went to CW to transfer reentry permit to new passport. When io saw it was issued at DM airport told me he cannot. Perhaps it was just lost in translation. Anyway I just carried both passports for international travel until my next extension.

It is still the same for a re-entry permit if the office doing the stamp transfer did not issue it will not be transfered.

Some people have gone to the airport that issued it.to have it transferred.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa cannot be transferred…

That's not true! My Non Immigrant Visa from 2006 is transfered in 2016 to my new passport. That's why I don't need the old passport anymore.

IMG.png

This is the first page of my new passport after the transfer.

Edited by thpitsch
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

If you get a different pp number with your new pp (as is the case with American pp), then you should also update any bank account info associated with the old pp number.

And your driver's licenses, if any, will be invalid until the new passport number is also given there.

39 minutes ago, thpitsch said:

That's not true! My Non Immigrant Visa from 2006 is transfered in 2016 to my new passport. That's why I don't need the old passport anymore.

That is only a stamp with info about the long expired visa that you used to get the entry you have been extending. It is only info to prove you used a non-o visa for entry to the country.

27 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Sorry Ubon Joe I beg to differ, I have had my visas, reentries & extensions transfered on 3 occasions into my new PP. I make a point of it to avoid any confusion as I travel a bit

The topic is about a valid multiple entry visa that cannot be transferred.

Your visa expired long ago and you only have a stamp with info about the visa you used for entry.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Dave Sabino said:

Go to the immigration office and get them to transfer into new passport will probably cost you Baht 500 but it saves having problems when doing a border crossing. 

As I wrote before he would probably be turned away at most immigration offices and be told to do it on departure from the country since he only has a entry from a visa to be transfered.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa cannot be transferred. You have use both passports on entry to the country if you have a valid multiple entry visa in your old passport to use it for entry to the country until it expires.

On my 1st dep. from Bkk with the new p.port airport immigration transferred the stamp to the new p.port. No need to get it done at CW or wherever you normally go.

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

If you get a different pp number with your new pp (as is the case with American pp), then you should also update any bank account info associated with the old pp number.

I changed 3 passports since I live in LOS, everytime I have brought the latest one to my bank for them to update their records, all I know is that they make copies, I sign them, I say thank you and leave, and they still use the first passport number. I don't mind, just I am sorry for the poor trees.

I got mine transferred a few weeks ago in Buriram, when I collect my new passport was given a letter asking immigration to transfer stamps into new passport. 

I took both passports and the letter to Buriram immigration office 10 - 15 minutes it was done Baht 500.

2 hours ago, thpitsch said:

IMG.png

This is the first page of my new passport after the transfer.

They do not transfer the visa, they use an immigration stamp on which they write relevant information for future reference. 

your 2006 visa is dead, no longer valid, cannot be used, cannot be renewed or extended. The only thing put in your new passport is the information about it.  If you tried to enter the country by claiming it's a visa and pointing at that stamp, after the laughter died down, you would find it is not a visa and then asked if you have a re-entry permit or want a 30 day visa exempt entry.

If you had a valid unexpired visa in your old passport you'd have to carry both passports until the visa expired because visas are not transferred to new passports,

Edited by Suradit69
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2019 at 8:24 AM, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Joe. I have 2 questions;    1. If I can do this at the border near Nong Khai, is it specifically done at the border or do I have to go to a separate office near the border?                                      2. If I have not done a tm30 (i have a multi o based on marriage), will this be an issue when having the stamps transferred at the above location?

Thanks again.

Edited by johnny1966

9 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

Thanks Joe. I have 2 questions;    1. If I can do this at the border near Nong Khai, is it specifically done at the border or do I have to go to a separate office near the border?                                      2. If I have not done a tm30 (i have a multi o based on marriage), will this be an issue when having the stamps transferred at the above location?

1. At the border since you will only have one stamp to be transfered.

2. No

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, Dave Sabino said:

I took both passports and the letter to Buriram immigration office 10 - 15 minutes it was done Baht 500.

No charge for transfer of stamps at any office. It's FREE. I did mine at Buriram tuther month. They asked for 500 Baht. I refused to pay and I still got my stamps transferred. Grow some.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1