A place to get a longtail boat and engine

jstset123

All,

I have lurked around several forums in search of a longtail boat to run the rivers and lakes for fishing. We use them back in the states to run swamps and shallow water for hunting and fishing. I finally found a place that produces boats and has the engines and outdrives. I thought i would make a post to help others. For the outdrive piece SPS, CLP, kkk, CKS all build various outdrives that connect to a honda or a Honda clone engine ranging from 2hp to 25hp and then they make bigger units for all the truck engines you see on larger boats. SPS is the original and the best handling IMHO www.thailongboats.com build several smaller boats from stainless and aluminum. You just about have to have a truck and putting a rack in the bed is the simplest option. When not in use just slide the rack out of truck bed. The website i have included has everything. I would suggest not getting the smallest boat i call it a skiff, its about 27k baht but the wider boats in 16 to 18 ft are much easier to walk around and fish. They are about 10k more. The clone engines are super cheap a 13hp engine from china can be as cheap as 6800 baht. The Thai's that have to live by these boats generally run a True Honda engine as parts are much easier to source correctly, even though the clones use many of the same parts. Many of the engines can be sourced on Lazada not always the cheapest. The key is getting the unit setup correctly and it will take a few tries as the skeg gets bent slightly the mount moved etc. The longboat guys set mine up in about 30 mins with a couple of runs to test. It runs at over 50kmh with a stock clone engine in 13hp.  The same boat with a Vtwin vanguard does well over 100kmh. Im not in that big of a hurry and a flat bottom at that speed can be rough if its not glass smooth. I hope this help someone and saves time. I like to fish but i have done more exploring and boat riding than anything its a blast. I would suggest you call these guys up and  ask to run one of their boats if you have never driven a long tail. They do drive a bit different than an outboard but they are easy to learn.  

Honda does have a marine version of the small engine(s) last time I looked.  Not sure what's different, but maybe better waterproofing/corrosion protection for some components.

I'd like to have a turbo diesel.

Archived