Thaksin planning new party "Pheu Dharma", says source

webfact

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

Wrong. He dragged Thailand into advancement and challenged the Status Quo and was brought down for doing it. Anyway all that is academic he should 'retire'.

Can't resist  'You're joking right - some nice satire right?'

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A potential benefit from the Junta's favourite bogeyman being active is that it can perhaps take a little bit of their focus away from FFP, allowing them to spend their time for something beneficial rather than dealing with the endless amounts of nonsensical legal from the "good people". 

And no, I don't like Thaksin. I also do not believe that FFP is inherently under his "rule", despite some shared ideals. Yet, at this point in time, anything that gets Junta's cute little camo knickers in a twist is a good thing, be it by Thaksin or someone else.  

6 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

How's he going to run this .. We thought he had a Jail sentence waiting if he sets foot in Thailand again .. Either way with all the other bitching that's going on its probably the last thing the present admin' want to hear about .. 

I think the present admin will be delighted with this news, for two reasons.  It shows that his exile from power still gnaws away at him - he's a bitter old man, and all the money in the world can't buy him what he really craves, and, more importantly, it gives them the excuse to carry on repressing the country under the pretence of fighting corruption.  As long as there's the threat of him coming back, they can rally supporters, stir up opposition protests and crack down with more military rule.  The best thing Thaksin could do would be to stay quiet, stop the public displays of his control over the PTP, and get on with enjoying life with his ill gotten gains.  If he had have done that in 2006 then I think it's highly likely that he would already be back in Thailand by now.

Just now, ballpoint said:

I think the present admin will be delighted with this news, for two reasons.  It shows that his exile from power still gnaws away at him - he's a bitter old man, and all the money in the world can't buy him what he really craves, and, more importantly, it gives them the excuse to carry on repressing the country under the pretence of fighting corruption.  As long as there's the threat of him coming back, they can rally supporters, stir up opposition protests and crack down with more military rule.  The best thing Thaksin could do would be to stay quiet, stop the public displays of his control over the PTP, and get on with enjoying life with his ill gotten gains.  If he had have done that in 2006 then I think it's highly likely that he would already be back in Thailand by now.

It's not news, this party exists since 2010.

Just now, ThomasThBKK said:

It's not news, this party exists since 2010.

It is news.  The fact that someone already registered the name back in 2010 doesn't change the fact that Thaksin has announced that he will start a new party.  he can either get the original registration transferred to his, or more likely, a nominee's name, or have the nominee register a new name.

1 minute ago, ballpoint said:

It is news.  The fact that someone already registered the name back in 2010 doesn't change the fact that Thaksin has announced that he will start a new party.  he can either get the original registration transferred to his, or more likely, a nominee's name, or have the nominee register a new name.

It's an active party and at least extremely bad and misleading journalism not to mention this party already exists and is head by the ex people power party leader.

thaksin not plan and think anythink because have only big criminal and out of thailand law, if come to thailand need be take off to jail fast and fight key far to sea. this criminal not can go to thailand ewer back or die. or go jail forewer.

1 hour ago, Chrisswe said:

Why do you think he do it ?? Cause of roughly 38 - 40 milj peoples still stay behind him !!!!! 

Thailand has  51,419,975 registered voters,  with an average turnout of just under 70%.

As another poster rightly pointed out, mathematics is obviously not your strongest subject.

Once a fool always a fool and Thaksin is living proof of that. He still thinks he is going to rise from the ashes, return to Thailand a hero and save the country. All he will accomplish is to ensure that he and anyone stupid enough to follow him will never grab power again. Forming an new political party to oppose the Military dominated Government now in place is like taking a knife to gun battle.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He has had his time in the limelight. He needs to step away from politics. His continued involvement is actually harming the country. He is continuing to give those rabid anti-Thaksin voters something to continue screaming about. With him out of the picture, along with some of the yellow shirt leaders, perhaps divisions could start to be healed. The Junta has done eff all in this regard, despite them claiming it as one of their goals. If anything the country is more divided than ever. 

And then I woke up. 

Serious question: do many people on this site really not know what Thaksin did while in power? So many seem to speak of him like he's some Robin Hood character who was forced out of the country on made-up charges.

It's like the Thai people who believe Hitler was some kind of superhero.

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Wrong. He dragged Thailand into advancement and challenged the Status Quo and was brought down for doing it. Anyway all that is academic he should 'retire'.

Communist-esque (but definitely blatantly populist) schemes like the rice-buying scheme brought Thailand forward?! Kleptocracy (continued under his sister) is bringing Thailand forward? Wow, some people...

Yes, he challenged the Status Quo... by trying to turn it (or "advance it", rather) into a dynastical system, where he would rule during his life time via puppets and proxies, such as his "charming" sister (I love the poster with the giant dildo, which reads "my brother gave me this award", btw)...

Get real. I am not saying others were much better, but to paint Thaksin as anything but a liar, thief and authocrat under the guise of democracy is naive and ignorant at best, being an imbecile at worst. I don't know you well enough, to decide which.

And I am sure you will find many Thais who will say he was great. But surely they weren't farmers, who were left on the verge of or actual bankruptcy, and others who got to "profit" from his "advancing the country" schemes..

44 minutes ago, GarryP said:

He has had his time in the limelight. He needs to step away from politics. His continued involvement is actually harming the country. He is continuing to give those rabid anti-Thaksin voters something to continue screaming about. With him out of the picture, along with some of the yellow shirt leaders, perhaps divisions could start to be healed. The Junta has done eff all in this regard, despite them claiming it as one of their goals. If anything the country is more divided than ever. 

And then I woke up. 

Woke up to the fact you deliberately didn't mention the red shirt leaders?

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Woke up to the fact you deliberately didn't mention the red shirt leaders?

The whole lot. Red and yellow alike.  Influential people on both sides have proven they are in politics purely for personal gain, are morally bankrupt and that they have no principles at all.  

Love or hate him; he is the only person who can seriously challenge the elites and military bloc. They will be losing sleep to know that he has not given up after 2 coups, much indoctrination and intimidation of his supporters, buying up his politicians and countless legal charges of his family to keep him silent. His party still win big in previous election and could have form the government if not for some skullduggery by the junta and the betrayal of the usual political party suspects. FFP seem to be a revelation but on their own, they may not have the political incumbency and grassroots support to go against the junta. In my view, Thaksin is much needed to impede militarism authoritarianism disguised as democracy from dominating Thailand for a long period.  

5 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The junta has really got under his skin, hasn't it? While I would welcome any effort to get rid of this military's influence, it can never involve this corrupt parasite. Thaksin can still capture headlines, but he carries too much baggage - anyway he'll be defanged at every step by the military.

IMHO it is the other way around.

He has got under the junta's skin.

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The whole lot. Red and yellow alike.  Influential people on both sides have proven they are in politics purely for personal gain, are morally bankrupt and that they have no principles at all.  

OIC you suddenly add red and try to make it look 'everybody'.

TV members are not as dumb as you seem to think.

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

OIC you suddenly add red and try to make it look 'everybody'.

TV members are not as dumb as you seem to think.

Not sure what your problem is. But you are certainly proving that your second sentence does not apply to you.  Look at my posting history before you start making false claims. 

29 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I disagree with you about Thaksin Shinawatra.

If you are talking about the military and the number of military coups, then, yes, some people never learn.

Ok, so he is squeaky clean? And that he is trying to interfere with Thai politics as a fugitive from abroad, you can not see the slightest problem with?

I never said that it is better with a military coup and a militant regime, but that is not the object in this thread. This is about Taksin creating more problem in Thai politics from abroad. He could have stayed and taken his 2 year that could have been down 50% if he admitted to the charges. At the end he would probably have gotten a suspended sentence. Instead he have chosen to flee the country and become a fugitive. from that position he is then still trying to handle Thai politics without the legal right to do so by third parties.

In that case its better with the military regime that was. A better solution, though, is to dissolve all parties that co-operate with him and jail the third parties for whatever illegal activities they can according to the law.

53 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Love or hate him; he is the only person who can seriously challenge the elites and military bloc. They will be losing sleep to know that he has not given up after 2 coups, much indoctrination and intimidation of his supporters, buying up his politicians and countless legal charges of his family to keep him silent. His party still win big in previous election and could have form the government if not for some skullduggery by the junta and the betrayal of the usual political party suspects. FFP seem to be a revelation but on their own, they may not have the political incumbency and grassroots support to go against the junta. In my view, Thaksin is much needed to impede militarism authoritarianism disguised as democracy from dominating Thailand for a long period.  

"...Thaksin is much needed to impede militarism authoritarianism ..."

If you are suggesting that thakins' goal is to stop miltiarism / authororitarianism then you get the annual award for silliest / most inaccurate / most divisive  / most ironic comment.

In terms of democracy he's commented several times that democracy was not his goal etc.  

23 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, so he is squeaky clean? And that he is trying to interfere with Thai politics as a fugitive from abroad, you can not see the slightest problem with?

I never said that it is better with a military coup and a militant regime, but that is not the object in this thread. This is about Taksin creating more problem in Thai politics from abroad. He could have stayed and taken his 2 year that could have been down 50% if he admitted to the charges. At the end he would probably have gotten a suspended sentence. Instead he have chosen to flee the country and become a fugitive. from that position he is then still trying to handle Thai politics without the legal right to do so by third parties.

In that case its better with the military regime that was. A better solution, though, is to dissolve all parties that co-operate with him and jail the third parties for whatever illegal activities they can according to the law.

So you think that it is better to have a coup every few years rather than have a legally elected government that can be voted out?

I never said that Thaksin was squeaky clean but at least he was legally elected which is more than any military coup has ever been. His is the only elected government that achieved a full 4 year term and then won a second election.

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"...Thaksin is much needed to impede militarism authoritarianism ..."

If you are suggesting that thakins' goal is to stop miltiarism / authororitarianism then you get the annual award for silliest / most inaccurate / most divisive  / most ironic comment.

In terms of democracy he's commented several times that democracy was not his goal etc.  

I guessed you really out of touch with reality and acting silly. The whole election campaigning was about anti militarism against pro democracy. The military dictating politics were all written in the charter, 20 years strategy plan that laid serious charges to those opposing, their refusal to cancel the law on extra judiciary detention and retaining the same ministers in Interior and Defence. You do need a new pair of bifocal. 

Nice try on Thaksin quote and taking it out of context. Let me put the whole comment and let other decide. 

“Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it’s not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned,” he said. “Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress.” 

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I guessed you really out of touch with reality and acting silly. The whole election campaigning was about anti militarism against pro democracy. The military dictating politics were all written in the charter, 20 years strategy plan that laid serious charges to those opposing, their refusal to cancel the law on extra judiciary detention and retaining the same ministers in Interior and Defence. You do need a new pair of bifocal. 

Nice try on Thaksin quote and taking it out of context. Let me put the whole comment and let other decide. 

“Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it’s not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned,” he said. “Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress.” 

As always el, when you can't reply you flood your response with diversion etc.

Re the paymaster and democracy, your comment (which I doubt is accurate) is really no different to mine'.  And your comment doesn't change the fact he didn't support the building of democracy, in fact he destroyed it and his sister did the same. 

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

As always el, when you can't reply you flood your response with diversion etc.

Re the paymaster and democracy, your comment (which I doubt is accurate) is really no different to mine'.  And your comment doesn't change the fact he didn't support the building of democracy, in fact he destroyed it and his sister did the same. 

Every point I made was to educate you but it’s fully in vain and beyond my honorable attempt. 

10 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

How's he going to run this .. We thought he had a Jail sentence waiting if he sets foot in Thailand again .. Either way with all the other bitching that's going on its probably the last thing the present admin' want to hear about .. 

just a major stir from Thaksin to keep the junta government on their toes and something else to worry about.

Archived