Thailand’s tourism – stormy weather ahead

webfact

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Anecdotal evidence although personally satisfying is hardly meaningful.  Ask a government teacher why they are a government teacher and why they take the test.  It'll give you a better idea.  400 million middle class Chinese.  I really don't think Thailand has a worry in the world.  

Ok, take out the anecdotal evidence and I still stand by my position. Of the 10 positions listed, 7 are either a director's position or manager's position. In my job back home I had a managerial position and 6 people that reported to me. Five out of the six had degrees, some advanced, but they were not in managerial positions. The sixth was going to school to get her degree. So, are you saying that here in Thailand 70% of university graduates hold managerial positions?

Just now, RobboR said:

A survey of 935 people with NO proof whatsoever. 

If you look at the figures, the individuals with the larger salaries have got 20+ years experience!

I couldn't look at the figures as my virus scanner (AVG) blocked the link. No matter, it is clearly an utterly ludicrous claim!

Another reason the white tourists don't go is because They have had enough of the Thai rip off merchants, Rude and arrogant hordes of Chinese idiots and a pathetic exchange rate.  Its got to the stage where I can have a cheaper holiday here in Australia. 

At least Americans and Europeans get over 30 baht to the dollar.

Australian is rock bottom at 20 and heading south. Watch tourist arrivals at Phuket airport dive when baht goes to 19 .

I think another major factor is the contempt Thai authorities have for westerners and Chinese who are not staying in 5 star hotels and spending 50k everyday. Safety standards are non existent causing  hundreds of unnecessary deaths every year not least being the roads and condos.

Twenty years ago all the beer bars should have been removed and beaches properly maintained.

What do they mean by quality tourists experiencing "wellness" in the (polluted) North?

They're insane these people.

13 minutes ago, LongTang said:

You want to tell this to a good friend of mine who is making 18,000 a month with a degree and about 10 years experience?

Exactly! So, for everyone surveyed who said they make 1.7 - 2 million Baht a year how many are there that make 200k baht a year to arrive at an average of 84k a month?

54 minutes ago, RobboR said:

Utter piffle and balderdash

Should get rid of all the Thais that can't meet the bare minimums too ?? 

Nobody wants them either?? 

Average salary is 14k, expats need 65k.

If you got rid of everybody under 65k there wouldn't be many people left

PERFECT! 

13 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Another reason the white tourists don't go is because They have had enough of the Thai rip off merchants, Rude and arrogant hordes of Chinese idiots and a pathetic exchange rate.  Its got to the stage where I can have a cheaper holiday here in Australia. 

Cleaner beaches also

Thailand is out of control (''brake failure'' of sorts ), give the powerfull tour groups/ developers/politicans an inch and they take the mile EVERY TIME ,in the past the money just kept pouring in. Saddly this once amazing country and its friendly people and presitine natural resources have suffered and been pimped to the max...Greed Greed Greed...or, just keep spinning the truth and build a new mall/ condo development ....RIP Thailand

10 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

Safety standards are non existent causing  hundreds of unnecessary deaths every year not

I noticed yesterday in some High end condo block Fire exit doors open the wrong way

Hand out 40 THB for 1 US $ from tomorrow onwards .....and by the end of the week, guarantee all the taxi cheats will have their cabs full of tourists !....and be more nice and polite with all the decent visitors and do not only bootlick one specific type of tourists....immigration boys also need to chill down, be nicer and stop harassing with their redtape...and then maybe..?

Too big an ask for all those “back tracking,loss of face measures “ to happen ... so no maybe ! Of course the figures will be manipulated and all will be forgotten by high season !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The major Buddhist holidays Asarnha Bucha Day and Khao Pansa on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively, will see a ban on alcohol sales across the country, including Phuket, from midnight tonight through to midnight Wednesday night.

Great if you've just landed for a holiday

The concept of treat people nicely, fairly and give them value and they will come back is lost on a lot of the service industry here.  A bad reputation is hard to recover from.

Thailand's turn to the chinese for tourism and belt and road is...um, paying off nicely.  This is a decision that may never be recoverable.  

Expats contributions help and in the coming months, especially into next year, after any relocations have taken place, immigrations decision to change requirements is going to start showing the effects.  Hard to call that money back. 

The corruption and greed has and is going to continue to be the bleeder.  Wide spread change needs to happen.

How many Thais, even middle class Thais, make 65k a month? I consider myself lucky, as I have far more than that in retirement income and live well here (even with a Baht-sucking girlfriend). But I could live decently on half that if I had to/wanted to (without the Baht-sucking girlfriend).

Yes ! Can do without the GF’s who are only nice when there’s plenty of $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Lots of excuses here but non of the “officials” in the article addresses the substance - while other tourist destinations have seen the trends Thailand has become a very un-sanook country to visit. Starting already before you arrive with their idiotic and outdated immigration laws. This is the 21st century for crying out loud! Collect the bloody information you think you need on a tourist online before people travel instead of making them fill out a stupid paper form and let them wait in line for hours now on top of it bloody finger printing them like criminals making people miss their onward flights! What a great welcome to the country!

Then follow Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and put a little 90 day stamp in a tourists passport when they arrive! Make it as painless and easy for people to visit.

Start treating tourists as what they are - GUESTS in your country - and not suckers you can rip off wherever they go!

It’s the digital age - people read a lot about a country online before they decide to take a holiday. What is this idiotic obsession with trying to treat intelligent people like sheep? I often overhear tourists who want to buy a beer or booze in a supermarket only to be told they can’t because they only sell at certain times - asking whatever moron came up with this idiotic law? People on holiday want to enjoy themselves not encounter restriction after restriction. Thailand has lost it’s shine already years ago and people are moving on to other destinations and tourists will choose destinations that are welcoming without hassle.

As soon as a destination here became popular it was destroyed out of pure greed.

The sea is polluted, garbage everywhere along the roads, food contaminated with chemicals, the air we breath toxic at times - all reasons not to visit.

I wonder why people are surprised tourist numbers are going down - who wants to - and why should people put up with these health hazards while on holiday?

If one followed the European elections people should realize that the environment means everything to a new generation of young Europeans and let’s face it - Thailand is an environmental disaster. These young people are shocked when they visit here and the level of environmental mayhem and destruction they encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, LongTang said:

Rubbish !!! 

The MAIN reason they are no longer coming is that they are NO LONGER FEEL WELCOMED !

The high Thai bath is definitely not helpful, but its not the main reason.

From 2006 till now it was about 30 to 35 Bath for a $, So no drastic changes there !

That’s fine if you earn US dollars. Any other western currency and you are hurting when it comes to the Thai Baht 

....and we should all not forget this problem - it will coming again and the tourists number will drop in the high season even more: BBC News 30.01.2019

" More than 400 schools are shut in Bangkok as the Thai capital battles an air pollution crisis...

Thailand's capital city is experiencing some of its worst-ever air pollution levels, caused by ultra-fine dust particles known as PM2.5.

Traffic exhaust, construction works, burning crops and pollution from factories are blamed for the haze. Authorities' efforts to clear the air have so far failed."

41 minutes ago, nickstav said:

I looked at the list. Those are targeted positions and mostly managerial positions. I don't think they represent the average Thai, even those with degrees. Look on the list at what a teacher makes. How many Thais with an undergrad degree are working as salesgirls in department stores? I've met quite a few.

I've even met some working in a bar. A woman I know in the village has indebted herself paying 10,000 Baht a month for her daughter to get a good degree in economics in Bangkok, the daughter is working on the tills now in Tesco.

Lived and worked in Thailand for years and loved the place. At one time I never thought I'd leave. When I did leave I still visited a couple of times a year but now I just don't want to go back. It's a combination of all of the things that are talked about these days and for me, primarily it comes back to these things.  1/ The tourist experience is not what it should be and I am made to feel like I am not wanted and only my money us.  2/ The friendly and helpful service I used to receive everywhere I now only get in my hotel. Outside it's just a battle, and I don't go on holiday to battle!  3/ Thailand is poor value for money now due to a combination of my weak currency but also price increases in Thailand. I walk around some shopping malls on the floors with restaurants and most non-Thai food is more expensive than home. No, thanks. I'll give Thailand a miss for a year or two and think about it again then.

I've been here since the late 1980s. 

In my veiw, Thai people have changed.

Without doubt, Thais (speaking generally) are no longer as welcoming as they once were. Thais, in general, have become much more selfish and far less considerate. It is general, I know, but I speak from my experiences.

Yes, the baht doesn't help, the government crackdowns don't help, visa situations etc down't help. But the bottom line is Thais have changed. And it isn't for the better.

Archived