CELTA v TEFL v TESOL

I did a TEFL quite some years back and am wondering is there any advantage of also doing a CELTA or TESOL course?  

Will it make new more attractive to employers and increase my earning potential or is it not worth doing?

Which is better and why?

Thanks

It's unlikely to increase your earning potential, however it may help you gain employment. They are now looking for certificates with registration numbers and at least a 120 hour course, you can never have too many certificates, especially in a country like Thailand. Beware the cheap courses available on the Internet, where you basically do it in a day and then they give you a 120 hour certificate, absolute rubbish and the authorities are not fooled.

A CELTA certificate is internationally recognised, so if you plan on doing TEFL/TESOL in other countries it is well worth having. It's a month long course with lots of classroom practice and can be stressful, as giving and receiving feedback from your peers is a key part of the course. There are written homework assignments that need to be completed.  You can do it in Thailand in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and, I think, Phuket.

https://www.ihbangkok.com/teacher-training/celta/bangkok/

Thailand seems to place more value on having a degree in any subject, rather than a decent TEFL/TESOL qualification.  However, jobs in Europe, Japan etc rightly place more emphasis on a practical qualification for the job!

47 minutes ago, JWRC said:

It's unlikely to increase your earning potential, however it may help you gain employment. They are now looking for certificates with registration numbers and at least a 120 hour course, you can never have too many certificates, especially in a country like Thailand. Beware the cheap courses available on the Internet, where you basically do it in a day and then they give you a 120 hour certificate, absolute rubbish and the authorities are not fooled.

I did my TEFL with SEE in CMsbd that was a 4 week course. 

Perhaps the aspiring teacher could enroll in and complete an accredited master's degree program in ESL.  It is generally a two year course with a thesis and gives a deeper and more broad depth of knowledge into the language.  It definitely carries a lot more weight that some dodgy CELTA, TEFL, or TESOL one month program.  Of course, armed with a master's degree I doubt that they would be teaching in Thailand unless it was at one of the bigger international schools that pays a proper wage with international standard benefits.

30 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Perhaps the aspiring teacher could enroll in and complete an accredited master's degree program in ESL.  It is generally a two year course with a thesis and gives a deeper and more broad depth of knowledge into the language.  It definitely carries a lot more weight that some dodgy CELTA, TEFL, or TESOL one month program.  Of course, armed with a master's degree I doubt that they would be teaching in Thailand unless it was at one of the bigger international schools that pays a proper wage with international standard benefits.

One could yes, and where would one do that?  Would need to do a cost benefits analysis to see if it was worthwhile. People at the latter end of their career might be better off just doing the dodgy other exams wouldn't you say?

7 hours ago, stament said:

One could yes, and where would one do that?  Would need to do a cost benefits analysis to see if it was worthwhile. People at the latter end of their career might be better off just doing the dodgy other exams wouldn't you say?

Try an accredited university in the US, Canada, England, New Zealand, or Australia.

Archived