Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

webfact

Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

1pm.jpg
Thai caption: Alcohol ban on Buddhist holy days

A blanket alcohol ban will be in place from 12.01 am tonight until midnight on Wednesday.

The 48 hour ban marks two Buddhist holidays - Asahna Bucha and Khao Phansa (the start of Buddhist Lent)

The Royal Thai Police said that jail terms of six months and/or fines of 10,000 baht await anyone breaking the ban on the selling and distribution of alcohol. 

Spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said the ban will be strictly enforced.

The only exceptions are international airports. 

Asahna Bucha marks the day of the first sermon after the Lord Buddha's enlightenment celebrating the Four Noble Truths. 

These are the truths about Suffering, the Cause of Suffering, the End of Suffering and the truth of the path that leads to the End of Suffering.

Many Thais will be going on holiday but will be joining in with candlelight vigils. 

Many will also give up alcohol for Buddhist Lent - a four month period. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-15

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Many will also give up alcohol for Buddhist Lent - a four month period

If they are such devout Buddhists, they should not be drinking in the first place, so nothing to give up.

And the ban is on selling and distribution of alcohol.........not consuming it. Get stocked up.

One been to Sarnath, where this sermon happened. Very few Thais I've known over 25 years know where it is.

Alcohol would be banned if discovered today, causes more problems than all illegal drugs put together.

22 minutes ago, webfact said:
The only exceptions are international airports. 

A lot of hotel also sell to foreigner.

9 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

"Spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said the ban will be strictly enforced"

LMAO!!!!

So basically, Now. Religion is State Run. Don't Mideast countries have religious police too?

"Spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said the ban will be strictly enforced."

Is this the same strict enforcement that has led to the yearly increase and record number of road fatalities during Songkran?

"Hour 9.

I'm getting uncomfortably aware of my surroundings, and everything seems to have weird focus to it. My throat is dry and I'm breaking out in sweats. I'm not sure how long I can carry on."

Have to admit it must be a bit of a bummer for first time holiday makers who get to the restaurant and then find out they can't have a glass of vino collapso with their meal.

I don't think the question can I drink alcohol with my meals in Thailand is asked by many when booking.

It's the local businesses I feel for. Most everyone will be on holiday and a lot like to drink to enjoy themselves during time off, but no, it's all "please be a good Buddhist and follow our rules even if you are a non believer." I would say even those who's id's say they are believers are not but it's just a state requirement to be a follower of one religion or another. 

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

A bit of an overreaction dont you think?  Nothing stopping you buying all the alcohol you want now and taking it home.  In the Middle East you can't do that. 

No. I don't think it is a big of an over reaction. Christians as well as other religions have lent also. But, the government doesn't get involved as to what a person may or may not consume due to religious reasons. I am sure the people can decide for themselves if they want to consume alcohol or anything else because of their religious preferences. 

I don't see the Thai government dictating what can or cannot be purchased or consumed in the southern region due to Ramadan.  

27 minutes ago, Longcut said:

So basically, Now. Religion is State Run. Don't Mideast countries have religious police too?

As long as I can recall in Thailand there have been No Alcohol days for Lent. This is not a new thing. You write as if this is a new ruling.

And really, if you can't get your self organised enough to get to your local store to buy the alcohol you need for 48 hours, you have bigger problems to deal with.

40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

One been to Sarnath, where this sermon happened. Very few Thais I've known over 25 years know where it is.

Alcohol would be banned if discovered today, causes more problems than all illegal drugs put together.

That statement is scientifically proven to be incorrect if it refers only to perceived health benefits - not to any actions taken by inebriated drinkers. 

Imagine being a newbie tourist just landed and looking forward to a cold beer or  wine and told 'no alcohol for sale for 2 days'.

Obviously upmarket hotels will keep selling as well as airport lounges.

Stuff everyone else.

If you see a tourist buying a beer arrest him and extort  baht from him.

Just another ripoff.

What were they saying about declining tourist numbers?

32 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

A bit of an overreaction dont you think?  Nothing stopping you buying all the alcohol you want now and taking it home.  In the Middle East you can't do that. 

Of course you can buy alcohol in (some) Middle East Muslim countries. It's being aware of the legalities that permit it.

14 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

As long as I can recall in Thailand there have been No Alcohol days for Lent. This is not a new thing. You write as if this is a new ruling.

And really, if you can't get your self organised enough to get to your local store to buy the alcohol you need for 48 hours, you have bigger problems to deal with.

Really?  So you were never here prior to 2015?

According to an announcement by the Prime Minister’s Office on January 22, 2015, the sale of alcohol is prohibited on five specific religious days: Makha Bucha, Visakha Bucha, Asarnha Bucha Day, Khao Pansa and Wan Org Pansa days.

56 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If they are such devout Buddhists, they should not be drinking in the first place, so nothing to give up.

And the ban is on selling and distribution of alcohol.........not consuming it. Get stocked up.

"and the ban will be strictly enforced" BY WHO ????

you are correct in your post..... all words again everytime there is  Bhudda holiday.....!!!

Buddhist holidays and alcohol bans always make me smile.

The same old miserable drunks trying to rationalize how it's not fair for the non Buddhist's or tourists on holidays or small businesses or how they can beat the law and buy from Mom and Pop stores, or sadly sit in a dimly lit bar drinking beer from coffee mugs.

It's like a Groundhog Day thread.

41 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"Spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said the ban will be strictly enforced."

Is this the same strict enforcement that has led to the yearly increase and record number of road fatalities during Songkran?

And the new strict enforcement of the requirement to stop at zebra crossings recently reannounced.

52 minutes ago, Yinn said:

A lot of hotel also sell to foreigner.

In Pattaya I used to go to what is now Avana Hotel on the backside of the mall. Just sit on the terrace and order a beer.

Any mom and pop store with no electronic register will also discretely sell beer to a local they recognise.

23 minutes ago, Longcut said:

No. I don't think it is a big of an over reaction. Christians as well as other religions have lent also. But, the government doesn't get involved as to what a person may or may not consume due to religious reasons. I am sure the people can decide for themselves if they want to consume alcohol or anything else because of their religious preferences. 

I don't see the Thai government dictating what can or cannot be purchased or consumed in the southern region due to Ramadan.  

thais WILL NOT stop drinking during the holiday....it is not their way....they will go to buy booze and drink and drink......

38 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I am sure all the expat alcoholics will be sure to have a

fridge full of booze,after all its 48 hours !

regards worgeordie

If not, they'll be the ones with the hand tremors and bloodshot eyes.

1 minute ago, DLock said:

The same old miserable drunks trying to rationalize how it's not fair for the non Buddhist's or tourists on holidays or small businesses or how they can beat the law and buy from Mom and Pop stores, or sadly sit in a dimly lit bar drinking beer from coffee mugs.

Your miserable old drunks will have already stocked to ensure they're not affected by this latest ban, unlike the tourists who have maybe planned to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with their dinner in town during their stay.

As stated. Your first night in Pattaya / Phuket / BKK . You have read about all the luverly ladies who work in the bars. You and your mates are all revved up for a great night out . You are sat in your condo/hotel talking about who is going to do what. 

You walk out onto the main strip . 

Not one bar open , no music . No pretty ladies. No pretty lights .

For 48 hours . What a bummer.

Oh well , it will give them plenty to talk about on Facebook / Twitter etc. ( I take it you are allowed to use social media )

Archived