Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

webfact

41 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Have to admit it must be a bit of a bummer for first time holiday makers who get to the restaurant and then find out they can't have a glass of vino collapso with their meal.

I don't think the question can I drink alcohol with my meals in Thailand is asked by many when booking.

My son in law is arriving at Chiang Rai airport tomorrow morning 10.00.  " Where can I get a cold beer ? "  He will ask , my house I will reply .  OP says midnight Weds. Is that 3 days or is someone pissed already ?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, NE1 said:

As stated. Your first night in Pattaya / Phuket / BKK . You have read about all the luverly ladies who work in the bars. You and your mates are all revved up for a great night out . You are sat in your condo/hotel talking about who is going to do what. 

You walk out onto the main strip . 

Not one bar open , no music . No pretty ladies. No pretty lights .

For 48 hours . What a bummer.

Oh well , it will give them plenty to talk about on Facebook / Twitter etc. ( I take it you are allowed to use social media )

you are but negative comments make get you locked up or deported ????

14 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Your miserable old drunks will have already stocked to ensure they're not affected by this latest ban, unlike the tourists who have maybe planned to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with their dinner in town during their stay.

ha, ha - how genteel, TOG. More like:

...unlike the tourists who maybe planned to enjoy a p*ss-up in town with a shedload of hot chicks during their stay. Forget dinner, a few big macs would do.  

When these days of no booze come around I just stock up and should I wish to enjoy a beer with friends in our favorite establishment not a problem. The owner has payed the tea money to the head police noddy and he is allowed to sell and serve booze as long as it's in coffee mugs. I am pretty sure his is not the only place that hasthis in place everytime the no booze ban is in effect.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In my experience as a long time expat it's Thai people who mainly break the law all the farang that i know abide by the law.

Would be interesting to see how many Thai's get caught DUI over the next few days

42 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Your miserable old drunks will have already stocked to ensure they're not affected by this latest ban, unlike the tourists who have maybe planned to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with their dinner in town during their stay.

...and there we have it...

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Have to admit it must be a bit of a bummer for first time holiday makers who get to the restaurant and then find out they can't have a glass of vino collapso with their meal.

I don't think the question can I drink alcohol with my meals in Thailand is asked by many when booking.

If they can't have a couple of days without alcohol, obeying the laws of the country, they probably have an alcohol problem. This may Werth help then to realize it.

I live in the sticks so dosnt effect me,shop sells regardless should i feel the desire

But any tourists arriving will certainly remember their days of enlightenment in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If they can't have a couple of days without alcohol, obeying the laws of the country, they probably have an alcohol problem. This may Werth help then to realize it.

Not the point at all............ they are on holiday not a Buddhist retreat!

1 hour ago, Longcut said:

No. I don't think it is a big of an over reaction. Christians as well as other religions have lent also. But, the government doesn't get involved as to what a person may or may not consume due to religious reasons. I am sure the people can decide for themselves if they want to consume alcohol or anything else because of their religious preferences. 

I don't see the Thai government dictating what can or cannot be purchased or consumed in the southern region due to Ramadan.  

You have truly missed the point. At no stage have the government said a person or people cannot consume alcohol, I wish people would read these posts correctly.

1 minute ago, poohy said:

But any tourists arriving will certainly remember their days of enlightenment in Thailand.

If they are desperate, they will find some alcohol.

I used to buy it from drug stores back in the day.

6 minutes ago, JWRC said:

You have truly missed the point. At no stage have the government said a person or people cannot consume alcohol, I wish people would read these posts correctly.

Correct, but it says you cannot purchase it. How does a tourist purchase alcohol while on vacation. Do you expect them to stock up like a local?

Why would the government ban the purchase of alcohol if they didn't want you to drink it?

56 minutes ago, essox essox said:

"and the ban will be strictly enforced" BY WHO ????

My neighbour the local 2IC of police will be ….. whoa hold on...….. OK never mind, he and the family are already drunk. ????

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

A glass of wine with dinner is not a drinking problem.

2 bottles every night is.

53 minutes ago, NE1 said:

As stated. Your first night in Pattaya / Phuket / BKK . You have read about all the luverly ladies who work in the bars. You and your mates are all revved up for a great night out . You are sat in your condo/hotel talking about who is going to do what. 

You walk out onto the main strip . 

Not one bar open , no music . No pretty ladies. No pretty lights .

For 48 hours . What a bummer.

Oh well , it will give them plenty to talk about on Facebook / Twitter etc. ( I take it you are allowed to use social media )

The only point I'll pick you up on is the 'lovely ladies in the bars' bit.

PS.

You can use social media but can't drink at the same time.

1 hour ago, Longcut said:

Really?  So you were never here prior to 2015?

According to an announcement by the Prime Minister’s Office on January 22, 2015, the sale of alcohol is prohibited on five specific religious days: Makha Bucha, Visakha Bucha, Asarnha Bucha Day, Khao Pansa and Wan Org Pansa days.

Well, yes I was here well before 2015, but your reply seems to show you weren't. I can clearly recall the closing of pubs and bars for July Lent back as far as the early 2000's and I have photographic proof of it. When I was based in Phuket then, the Patpong bars would close. The bars in each soi in Bangla Road would form together and have their own special "Olympics" style events against the other soi bar teams.

So yes, actually, I was here well before 2015. Can you say the same?

16 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Correct, but it says you cannot purchase it. How does a tourist purchase alcohol while on vacation. Do you expect them to stock up like a local?

Why would the government ban the purchase of alcohol if they didn't want you to drink it?

Perhaps they want tourists to buy their alcohol upon arrival from the King Power monopoly. Otherwise, why would international airports be excluded from the ban?

3 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Thais do as they are told.

It is not their choice.

Thais do as they are told? Rubbish. Drive on the left please. Wear a helmet please. Don't drive after drinking please. No prostitution please. etc etc.

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thailand has a very large percent of people suffering from the disease of alcoholism. Many go to the temple for 3 months to abstain. Sadly, 99% of them relapse during awk pansaa.

So what?

Their choice and nothing to do with anyone else.

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Some seem to think a glass of wine or beer with your dinner means you have a problem.

I drink a fair bit and fall down, no problem.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

The mug option will be, as usual, widely available.

But I reckon that for newcomers it will look bizarre.

Archived