Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

webfact

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, JWRC said:

You have truly missed the point. At no stage have the government said a person or people cannot consume alcohol, I wish people would read these posts correctly.

Don't let the truth get in the way of people fabricated notions created to match their wayward sense of logic. People are angry damn it! And they should have the right to fabricate and manipulate the truth to match their concepts of mistreatment by a government that don't care about them.

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

ha, ha - how genteel, TOG. More like:

...unlike the tourists who maybe planned to enjoy a p*ss-up in town with a shedload of hot chicks during their stay. Forget dinner, a few big macs would do.  

Just wondering, what do they serve at bars (naughty, and upscale); Fanta or Lactasoy 5 Baht in a tumbler?

No wonder that tourists are leaving in droves...

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

A lot of hotel also sell to foreigner.

And nearly all of the ma and pas shops sell it anyway as they are true Thai Buddhists and never turn down money, the real and only form of enlightenment in Thailand they strive for.

11 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

The mug option will be, as usual, widely available.

But I reckon that for newcomers it will look bizarre.

True, but the quality tourists, rich families with a couple of kids, will be totally unaware of the social rules of this system.

Does one extend the pinkie when sipping your wine from the mug. Do you grasp the mug or use the handle? Should red go in the mug and white in a teacup? Is a saucer required and can the kids drink from the saucer?

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

As stated. Your first night in Pattaya / Phuket / BKK . You have read about all the luverly ladies who work in the bars. You and your mates are all revved up for a great night out . You are sat in your condo/hotel talking about who is going to do what. 

You walk out onto the main strip . 

Not one bar open , no music . No pretty ladies. No pretty lights .

For 48 hours . What a bummer.

Oh well , it will give them plenty to talk about on Facebook / Twitter etc. ( I take it you are allowed to use social media )

Yep, you forgot the part about being here on a 48hour stop over....

29 minutes ago, overherebc said:

True, but the quality tourists, rich families with a couple of kids, will be totally unaware of the social rules of this system.

Does one extend the pinkie when sipping your wine from the mug. Do you grasp the mug or use the handle? Should red go in the mug and white in a teacup? Is a saucer required and can the kids drink from the saucer?

No worry about the last happy fews who are still holidaying in Thailand... They are staying at Four Seasons, Evason or Aman ; where a "no" has never been considered as an answer. 

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Of course you can buy alcohol in (some) Middle East Muslim countries. It's being aware of the legalities that permit it.

I was making a point to a poster who was making an irrelevant compassion.  

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Thais do as they are told.

It is not their choice.

Rubbish.  I  know for a fact that my family here will stock up and have a party. As I say, their country, their rules. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

It's the rulers country and their rules, not the people's.

In every country in the world, be they democratic or autocratic, the rulers always set the rules, that's why they are called 'rulers' 

My goodness me, all this comment/angst/anger/bewilderment, just because retails of all kinds cannot sell alcohol for a mere 48 hours.  And we have this ludicrous set of negative comments every time there is a Thai holiday that impacts the drinking habits of foreigners.  There are some mighty sad ( and unhealthy) people around if this is what occupies their minds so much. 

18 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I  know for a fact that my family here will stock up and have a party. As I say, their country, their rules. 

So let's define the rule: Every time there is an alcohol ban, set by the government, you are to stock up and get pissed during it. Got it. 

I have an opinion about such rules. I think you can guess it.

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Well, yes I was here well before 2015, but your reply seems to show you weren't. I can clearly recall the closing of pubs and bars for July Lent back as far as the early 2000's and I have photographic proof of it. When I was based in Phuket then, the Patpong bars would close. The bars in each soi in Bangla Road would form together and have their own special "Olympics" style events against the other soi bar teams.

So yes, actually, I was here well before 2015. Can you say the same?

I got here in the early 70's and even back then, the bars had closing times. Not the same thing. One could still buy alcohol after the bars closed. 

15 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

So let's define the rule: Every time there is an alcohol ban, set by the government, you are to stock up and get pissed during it. Got it. 

I have an opinion about such rules. I think you can guess it.

well it's not compulsory to do so. 

42 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

My goodness me, all this comment/angst/anger/bewilderment, just because retails of all kinds cannot sell alcohol for a mere 48 hours.  And we have this ludicrous set of negative comments every time there is a Thai holiday that impacts the drinking habits of foreigners.  There are some mighty sad ( and unhealthy) people around if this is what occupies their minds so much. 

Is that sadly unhealthy or unhealthily sad?

????????

Imagine being a newbie tourist just landed and looking forward to a cold beer or  wine and told 'no alcohol for sale for 2 days'.
Obviously upmarket hotels will keep selling as well as airport lounges.
Stuff everyone else.
If you see a tourist buying a beer arrest him and extort  baht from him.
Just another ripoff.
What were they saying about declining tourist numbers?

From previous posts airports will be dry as well

4 minutes ago, Kim J said:

The most retarded thing when they have these alcohol bans is that it even extends to the bars and restaurants in the international airports after immigration in international space.

According to the OP, not this one.

Spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said the ban will be strictly enforced.
The only exceptions are international airports. 

1 minute ago, brucegoniners said:

These bans get old. I’m not a Buddhist. I shouldn’t have to follow their laws.

You don't have to.  If you can find somewhere selling alcohol, you can buy it.  You won't be breaking the law, only the seller will be.  Easier still, buy your alcohol the day before.  There is no law stopping you drinking it on Buddha days.

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

A bit of an overreaction dont you think?  Nothing stopping you buying all the alcohol you want now and taking it home.  In the Middle East you can't do that. 

If you work for a certain Defence Company it’s an alcoholic’s paradise. Real stuff as well ( expensive ). SID comes to mind as well.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Have to admit it must be a bit of a bummer for first time holiday makers who get to the restaurant and then find out they can't have a glass of vino collapso with their meal.

I don't think the question can I drink alcohol with my meals in Thailand is asked by many when booking.

When you a first time holiday maker, you should read a bit about the country you are going to visit.

39 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I got here in the early 70's and even back then, the bars had closing times. Not the same thing. One could still buy alcohol after the bars closed. 

I started my boozing in the 60s in England and even then there were 'licencing hours' both for pubs and offies, and very strict on Sundays, a total ban in Scotland I think.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Have to admit it must be a bit of a bummer for first time holiday makers who get to the restaurant and then find out they can't have a glass of vino collapso with their meal.

I don't think the question can I drink alcohol with my meals in Thailand is asked by many when booking.

I don't see tourists crying over this.  Should we mention the super weird alcohol rules (for an outsider) in the USA or in the nordic countries? Thailand has a few of these no-sale days per year, and a weird 2-5pm ban, both  applied in varying degrees. I think everybody can easily live with that from residents to tourists.

Archived