Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

webfact

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

When you a first time holiday maker, you should read a bit about the country you are going to visit.

Maybe ask the question re' booze if you're daft enough to go to the middle east. Ok in some, not ok in others.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confusion arises for non-Buddhists as to which dates are non-drinking days – they are not exactly publicised and some are not religious but political, eg “elections”). Many tourists say these arbitrary days are puzzling, and they are also frequently gobsmacked by the 2pm-5pm lockouts. I recently tried to explain the latter to someone in (Muslim-majority) Kuala Lumpur and they just laughed at the “stupidity”.

Some of the posters are correct though – nothing new about stocking up for a day or two if you do know in advance. But my local 7-11 ran out of almost all beers yesterday (Sunday)….

Who else remembers drinking beer in a cup poured from from teapots in the bad old days?

3 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

Confusion arises for non-Buddhists as to which dates are non-drinking days – they are not exactly publicised and some are not religious but political, eg “elections”). Many tourists say these arbitrary days are puzzling, and they are also frequently gobsmacked by the 2pm-5pm lockouts. I recently tried to explain the latter to someone in (Muslim-majority) Kuala Lumpur and they just laughed at the “stupidity”.

Some of the posters are correct though – nothing new about stocking up for a day or two if you do know in advance. But my local 7-11 ran out of almost all beers yesterday (Sunday)….

Who else remembers drinking beer in a cup poured from from teapots in the bad old days?

Brunei for sure. Don't know if it's still the same.

I read the link & pondered for a minute or two before clicking the link to open it.

I made a mental note of all the responses I expected to find inside and I have not been disappointed, the usual "if you can't go for 2 days without a drink, it's their country their rules, stop bleating about it, 1st time holiday makers should read up" etc etc.

Every time we have a Big Buddha day this thread rises like a Phoenix from the Ashes with the same tired posts I've been reading on here for years. 

Being a creature of habit I like to visit my favourite bar have a laugh and a beer or 3 with fellow expats then off out with the Mrs for a nice meal with wine or beer, I do this 2 or 3 times a week, tomorrow would have been my afternoon out, do I compromise and go out today or wait until Thursday to catch up with all the banter ? Sod it, I'll go this afternoon. and tomorrow I'll have a couple of cold ones in the privacy of my own home.

3 hours ago, DLock said:

The same old miserable drunks trying to rationalize how it's not fair for the non Buddhist's or tourists on holidays or small businesses or how they can beat the law and buy from Mom and Pop stores, or sadly sit in a dimly lit bar drinking beer from coffee mugs.

and the same old people getting on their soapboxes to complain about the miserable drunks ..........

39 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

When you a first time holiday maker, you should read a bit about the country you are going to visit.

A first time holiday maker is prolly coming for the temples, culture and shit anyways so would be happy to go without booze for a day or 2.

59 minutes ago, Kim J said:

The most retarded thing when they have these alcohol bans is that it even extends to the bars and restaurants in the international airports after immigration in international space.

but you can still buy duty free, can't stop King Power making money

For a country known as a holiday and party destination, with a 30% decline in tourism, I would maybe consider different. E.g. banning Thais from buying alcohol in the bars.

But the rich Indians will soon be coming, so maybe it’s okay.

17 minutes ago, legend49 said:

That is fine 2 days shut down that is 2 days I dont waste my money in helping the sick economy.

AHAHA your 2 small bottles of happy hour beers will crush the economy..Please snap out of it

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

A bit of an overreaction dont you think?  Nothing stopping you buying all the alcohol you want now and taking it home.  In the Middle East you can't do that. 

Depends on where you are in the ME.

1 hour ago, Longcut said:

I got here in the early 70's and even back then, the bars had closing times. Not the same thing. One could still buy alcohol after the bars closed. 

I didn't say closing times. Context does not seem to be your strong point. I referred to the closing of the bars for the Lent holiday.

Gee, you have been coming here since the 70's and still haven't adapted to local customs. You still get irritated over 4 or 5 days per year that you can't buy alcohol.

9 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

and the same old people getting on their soapboxes to complain about the miserable drunks ..........

Recovering alcoholics are worse . They turn weird after forced AA intervention by family  and become god botheres to help their no control over addiction ????

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

One been to Sarnath, where this sermon happened. Very few Thais I've known over 25 years know where it is.

A reflection of who you know ? A Thai woman I know  in Chiang Mai has made four trips to India in the last six years to visit Mahabodhi, Sarnath, etc., with other member of her Wat's community. Each trip is on a chartered flight with 30~50 other pilgrims.

~o37;

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

If they are such devout Buddhists, they should not be drinking in the first place, so nothing to give up.

Does the same apply to Catholics...many of them give up the booze for Lent too (and much more than that)?

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Have to admit it must be a bit of a bummer for first time holiday makers who get to the restaurant and then find out they can't have a glass of vino collapso with their meal.

I don't think the question can I drink alcohol with my meals in Thailand is asked by many when booking.

Restaurant owners can always put a free opened bottle on the table. With compliments of the owner.

10 minutes ago, madmen said:

Recovering alcoholics are worse . They turn weird after forced AA intervention by family  and become god botheres to help their no control over addiction ????

God botherers? Is that what the LGBTQ community calls Christians now?

4 hours ago, NE1 said:

As stated. Your first night in Pattaya / Phuket / BKK . You have read about all the luverly ladies who work in the bars. You and your mates are all revved up for a great night out . You are sat in your condo/hotel talking about who is going to do what. 

You walk out onto the main strip . 

Not one bar open , no music . No pretty ladies. No pretty lights .

For 48 hours . What a bummer.

Oh well , it will give them plenty to talk about on Facebook / Twitter etc. ( I take it you are allowed to use social media )

guess that's what happens when you don't research before you travel, like the many other morons that get washed ashore here..

17 minutes ago, khunpa said:

For a country known as a holiday and party destination, with a 30% decline in tourism, I would maybe consider different. E.g. banning Thais from buying alcohol in the bars.

But the rich Indians will soon be coming, so maybe it’s okay.

Depends on their religion.

These are the truths about Suffering, the Cause of Suffering, the End of Suffering and the truth of the path that leads to the End of Suffering.

For the unenlightened. . . 

Suffering - absence of alcohol.

Cause of Suffering - a 48 hour ban.

End of Suffering - midnight on Wednesday.

Path that leads to the End of Suffering - always keep a few spare bevvies in the fridge.

Cheers!

Archived