Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

webfact

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

depends on the person..

Or what's in the bottle. ????

Let's face it, if you're drinking that stuff they call 'fruit wine' that is cheap bulk imported crap with up to 15% pear juice or whatever it is they add, you're not drinking it because it compliments the food.

4 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

As long as I can recall in Thailand there have been No Alcohol days for Lent. This is not a new thing. You write as if this is a new ruling.

And really, if you can't get your self organised enough to get to your local store to buy the alcohol you need for 48 hours, you have bigger problems to deal with.

It's the way this 'rule'(since when, by whom?!?) is being more and more strictly enforced, like, erm, in the last five year or so, with enough strength to make the bibs to come out of their cool offices (what is a feat in intself), to put pressure on all shops and 'waterholes', ...and also on resorts/hotels and restaurants with international customership, whoch were previously let out of the consequences of this ...dictatorial measure.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the Four Noble Truths.

Anyone... go ask 10 random Thais what the four noble truths are and get back to us. I’ll be waiting.

Meanwhile, it’s good to see forced compliance on such a holiday. 

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

According to the OP, not this one.

Spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said the ban will be strictly enforced.
The only exceptions are international airports. 

after Immigration it's still Thailand, it's not any kind of 'international space'.  

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

after Immigration it's still Thailand, it's not any kind of 'international space'.  

Thailand's a planet, isn't it? Totally detached from the rest of the universe!

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

One been to Sarnath, where this sermon happened. Very few Thais I've known over 25 years know where it is.

Alcohol would be banned if discovered today, causes more problems than all illegal drugs put together.

Spoken like a true druggie.

3 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

The mug option will be, as usual, widely available.

But I reckon that for newcomers it will look bizarre.

That is the Swedish coffee choice. What is a Swedish coffee you ask ? One pours a tiny amount of coffee in a cup and then you put a one cent coin in the cup after which you pour in vodka so long until you can see the coin.

6 hours ago, fishtank said:

Yet more mumbo jumbo tosh.

Let people live their lives how they want.

Agreed, chill out with the restriction.  These Buddhist claim to be so pure and holy, as if they don't touch alcohol. 

No wonder Thai immigration are getting harder on shallow minded frangs who even don't feel ashamed spitting in the plate they eat from. 

God bless Thailand inspite of the arrogance and ungrateful mankind not yet humans. 

Just now, Different said:

No wonder Thai immigration are getting harder on shallow minded frangs who even don't feel ashamed spitting in the plate they eat from. 

God bless Thailand inspite of the arrogance and ungrateful mankind not yet humans. 

woah ! calm down, a little anger management please

The start of lent is an important event in Thailand.

It will be the same long after you & I have passed on.

You still as I write this 7 hours to get your lazy self down to a liquor place & buy as much as you want.

You just cannot prop up your bar stool for 2 whole days,. Get a Grip

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The Thais are, it's you that is out of step.  Their country, their rules.  

Fair enough but nanny countries are not where I would choose to live or visit. Their country, their rules, my choice of where to live. Despite speaking Thai quite well, I prefer Cambodia these days.

3 hours ago, mania said:

So extra long lines at Suvarnabhumi Airport bars tonight? ????

Worth a trip out there or Don Muang just to buy beers from the 7/11 stores. Better still to just stock up ahead of time.

5 hours ago, DLock said:

Buddhist holidays and alcohol bans always make me smile.

The same old miserable drunks trying to rationalize how it's not fair for the non Buddhist's or tourists on holidays or small businesses or how they can beat the law and buy from Mom and Pop stores, or sadly sit in a dimly lit bar drinking beer from coffee mugs.

It's like a Groundhog Day thread.

And then there's the self righteous lot on the other who like to make comments just like yours. 

Archived