Cha Am: Bypass traffic paralyzed by pile up after trucker falls asleep at the wheel

webfact

Cha Am: Bypass traffic paralyzed by pile up after trucker falls asleep at the wheel

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that traffic on the Cha Am to Pranburi bypass came to a standstill for half an hour yesterday afternoon after a ten wheel truck carrying wood plowed into cars and trucks waiting at the Bang Chang Thaeng Krajat intersection lights. 

Parinya, 42, driving was with six relatives in a Toyota that was crushed. All were injured and taken to Cha Am and Hua Hin hospitals. The family were on their way back to Bangkok.

Rattanapong, the 32 year old driver of the ten wheeler, had to be cut free in a half hour operation. He survived and is now out of danger.

An 18 wheel truck trailer, a six wheel truck and a Honda car were also damaged. 

Sanook said it is thought that Rattanapong had a "lap nai" experience - a microsleep. 

He will face charges of negligent driving. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-15

It's about time the trucking companies were held partly responsible for these crashes. I'm sure the drivers are under pressure to drive too many hours or risk losing their jobs.. Sure a lot can't drive for toffee but the companies should provide more training to adequate standards...

I know, tell him he's dreaming (no pun intended)

Tachographs or Spy in the cab have been mandatory in European trucks for years to curb drivers from driving whilst tired .. Driving a truck carries heavy responsibility that isn't always taken too seriously in Thailand sometimes .. 

4 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Tachographs or Spy in the cab have been mandatory in European trucks for years to curb drivers from driving whilst tired .. Driving a truck carries heavy responsibility that isn't always taken too seriously in Thailand .. 

Yes indeed. In the past, I have suggested that tachographs should be fitted in cabs, especially the long distance public buses, but I always got the same reply "YOU MUST BE JOKING".

12 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. In the past, I have suggested that tachographs should be fitted in cabs, especially the long distance public buses, but I always got the same reply "YOU MUST BE JOKING".

Indeed it would go along way to trying to improve the safety standard of some of Thailand's  transport fleet .. Besides mandatory requirement in European trucks in Britain they are checked for calibration and any signs of tampering with the seals as part of the Truck's MOT test .. The Police and enforcement agency DVSA have legal right to check a trucks Tacho' at the roadside and if the number of driving hrs allowed have been exceeded the driver is in trouble along with the transport company .. Fines for driving " over hours " can be big and persistent offenders can also have their operations license removed .. 

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Indeed it would go along way to trying to improve the safety standard of some of Thailand's  transport fleet .. Besides mandatory requirement in European trucks in Britain they are checked for calibration and any signs of tampering with the seals as part of the Truck's MOT test .. The Police and enforcement agency DVSA have legal right to check a trucks Tacho' at the roadside and if the number of driving hrs allowed have been exceeded the driver is in trouble along with the transport company .. Fines for driving " over hours " can be big and persistent offenders can also have their operations license removed .. 

Brilliant ,,, But again one big problem ,Who in the name of satan is gonna enforce  all them goodies.

5 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Brilliant ,,, But again one big problem ,Who in the name of satan is gonna enforce  all them goodies.

Indeed therein lies the rub .. It would probably be too much to expect Thailand to aspire to and then enforce European conventions on road safety hence the appalling death rate on the roads .. 

Well at least it wasn't the "Brakes failed".  The guy dozed off.  Sad but it happens.  Wonder how long he had been driving continuously that day.  Did the truck driver have a CDL Commercial Drivers' License as it is known in the USA?  Is there any such requirement for a CDL in Thailand?

My Thai bro-in-law can come to a Thanksgiving or Christmas party at our house in the USA and take a nap on the couch at the drop of the hat, no matter the noise level. Middle of the day.  A dozen or more people milling around, kids included. <deleted>?

Archived