Blue book stuck in limbo. What do I do?

I bought this car in Pattaya a little over a month ago. Registered on a Thai name, Bangkok plate. 

Went to the land transport office, did the inspection and an agent was paid to take care of the rest. She told us it would be ready in two weeks.

It's been over a month now and no blue book yet, last week she said it was the Bangkok's transport department taking their time, this week she won't even answer the phone.

What can I do in this case? Is there a way to check if the transfer is actually being done?

I always wonder why people pay agents for things which can easily done by themself. Getting this transferred takes two trips to the DLT (the first one you did already), of maybe 30 minutes or an hour each.

The DLT doesn't keep the blue book between the two required visits (usually you have to wait about 3 business days in between), which means the blue book has to be with the agent (unless he lost it).

If the agent doesn't respond anymore somebody has to file a police report. If it's still in the sellers name then he will have to do this, otherwise you.

A little off topic but a good example how buying or selling a ride in LOS can be problematic. One must forget about how simple it is back home, here near everything is complicated where it could be so simple..But hey, if things were made simple just imagine the redundancies...????

I m afraid for your situation, you can go at local dlt with number plate explain what happen and ask why. Maybe car you bought have some problem (fine not payd, over 3 years tax not paid, mismatch engine or fake blue book) where do you bought these car? Maybe they have a copy of that. 

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

I always wonder why people pay agents for things which can easily done by themself. Getting this transferred takes two trips to the DLT (the first one you did already), of maybe 30 minutes or an hour each.

The DLT doesn't keep the blue book between the two required visits (usually you have to wait about 3 business days in between), which means the blue book has to be with the agent (unless he lost it).

If the agent doesn't respond anymore somebody has to file a police report. If it's still in the sellers name then he will have to do this, otherwise you.

As I understand it the transfer has to be done at the DLT that the car is registered at. The OP says the car has a Bangkok plate so the blue book will have to be taken to Bangkok. 

5 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

As I understand it the transfer has to be done at the DLT that the car is registered at. The OP says the car has a Bangkok plate so the blue book will have to be taken to Bangkok. 

This is wrong

The transfer will be done completely at the Chonburi DLT, no visit to BKK necessary. The 3 days waiting time and the two visits are required because the one DLT sends some documents to the other DLT (i don't know if BKK sends documents to Chonburi or if it's the other way arround), but this is something the DLTs handle internally.

Sounds like the agent i used.

Ongoing nightmare.   Part 1.

In January I bought a bike from a thai dealer on sukumvit. ฿300k .

First time i've bought second hand.   The bike had BKK plates, falang owner in the book.

Got a residence certificate, went back to the dealer. He said go to DLT  st regents and call this number.   Got to the testing area , called the number , a woman met me. 

I thought she worked there , i didn't know she was an agent until  a few weeks later.

Check the bike ,go to her office out side the main building.  I pay her 6,200฿ for changing the plate, book, transfer tax, insurance road tax.  Should the seller pay some of that ?

Plate will be here in 2 weeks.  

A hundred  B/S excuses  later  ,  several visits to  the dealer and her office, and many phone calls, most not answered,  the green book is dropped off to a friend of mine in late june.

5 months later. [He also has dealings with her].    

The book has my name in it but a BKK address. Great.  Went to her office, not there.   Called her ,she says chonburi  ''no have number plates''.  Sounds plausible.  

So i've paid her 6,200 +1000 for res' cert'. got a book in my name, with someone else's BKK address  , and still on BKK plates.    

Go inside ask several people what to do , not interested.   Finally the number plate man says it has to go to BBK to change to chonburi.   [turns out he's wrong]

Go back to the dealer, he says the agent is the same with everybody.  Takes months. 

Go to another agent i've used before at a testing station on sukumvit near the HW7 flyover. 

He says it can be done at chonburi,    DIY 2 trips ,cheap.  or pay him ฿2500  just 1 trip for inspection.

I go for the 1 trip option.

At the end of July i drop off the book and another residence certificate , passport copies for him to check.   All good.  

Go DLT chonburi, call his agent, straight in no queues, inspected.

Pencil rubbing on masking tape for chassis number.    thailand 4.0

Plate and the book due  this week.

Cost ?  6,200 + 2,500 +  2000 for 2 agent supplied residence certificates = 10,700  all in + hassle, phone calls ,many trips to DLT.     TIT as they say,    

Part 2 later.  

post #7     It can be done in chonburi.

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Another reason why i would never buy a second hand vehicle in Thailand.

I live in Chon Buri and bought a used Ducati from BKK. Got all the usual paperwork plus a signed POA. Couple trips and all done at Chon Buri DLT with Chon Buri plates in my name. It’s really not difficult 

Did you request certain numbers for the plate?  If so DLT waits until those numbers roll around again.  It took over 3 months to get our plates last year.  But we didn't use an agent, it was handled by the dealer.

If you just want plates from your local jungwat and don't care about certain numbers it is easy to do by yourself without an agent and you will get the plates right there.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:
5 hours ago, alanrchase said:

This is wrong

The transfer will be done completely at the Chonburi DLT, no visit to BKK necessary. The 3 days waiting time and the two visits are required because the one DLT sends some documents to the other DLT (i don't know if BKK sends documents to Chonburi or if it's the other way arround), but this is something the DLTs handle internally.

I just recently changed the name on my bike and had to go it's registration province to get it done. The other option would have been to register the bike in the new province first. Get new number, plate and book. In Bangkok those can be done in a few days, but In Chonburi I had to wait 60 days for replacement plate after I lost one. Would the changing province plate be any faster? Are you saying Automobile and Motorcycle registration is not same?

2 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

I just recently changed the name on my bike and had to go it's registration province to get it done. The other option would have been to register the bike in the new province first. Get new number, plate and book. In Bangkok those can be done in a few days, but In Chonburi I had to wait 60 days for replacement plate after I lost one. Would the changing province plate be any faster? Are you saying Automobile and Motorcycle registration is not same?

Isn't it all daft stuff...?

Sounds like the agent i used.
Ongoing nightmare.   Part 1.

In January I bought a bike from a thai dealer on sukumvit. ฿300k .
First time i've bought second hand.   The bike had BKK plates, falang owner in the book.

Got a residence certificate, went back to the dealer. He said go to DLT  st regents and call this number.   Got to the testing area , called the number , a woman met me. 
I thought she worked there , i didn't know she was an agent until  a few weeks later.

Check the bike ,go to her office out side the main building.  I pay her 6,200฿ for changing the plate, book, transfer tax, insurance road tax.  Should the seller pay some of that ?
 Plate will be here in 2 weeks.  
A hundred  B/S excuses  later  ,  several visits to  the dealer and her office, and many phone calls, most not answered,  the green book is dropped off to a friend of mine in late june.
5 months later. [He also has dealings with her].    

The book has my name in it but a BKK address. Great.  Went to her office, not there.   Called her ,she says chonburi  ''no have number plates''.  Sounds plausible.  
  So i've paid her 6,200 +1000 for res' cert'. got a book in my name, with someone else's BKK address  , and still on BKK plates.    

Go inside ask several people what to do , not interested.   Finally the number plate man says it has to go to BBK to change to chonburi.   [turns out he's wrong]

Go back to the dealer, he says the agent is the same with everybody.  Takes months. 

Go to another agent i've used before at a testing station on sukumvit near the HW7 flyover. 
He says it can be done at chonburi,    DIY 2 trips ,cheap.  or pay him ฿2500  just 1 trip for inspection.
I go for the 1 trip option.

At the end of July i drop off the book and another residence certificate , passport copies for him to check.   All good.  
 Go DLT chonburi, call his agent, straight in no queues, inspected.
 Pencil rubbing on masking tape for chassis number.    thailand 4.0
 Plate and the book due  this week.
  Cost ?  6,200 + 2,500 +  2000 for 2 agent supplied residence certificates = 10,700  all in + hassle, phone calls ,many trips to DLT.     TIT as they say,    

Part 2 later.  

post #7     It can be done in chonburi.

As you explained the first case. They went to bkk and changed your name as the owner. Cost is less than 100 thb. It should have your name and chonburi address as owner but bike remains in bkk register. No problem what so ever.

Cost to change registration province is high. Over 2000 thb. It was not necessary at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, zhangxifu said:

As you explained the first case. They went to bkk and changed your name as the owner. Cost is less than 100 thb. It should have your name and chonburi address as owner but bike remains in bkk register. No problem what so ever.

Cost to change registration province is high. Over 2000 thb. It was not necessary at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I paid her to put it on a chonburi plate with my chonburi address, the same as the res' cert'  

It came back 5 months later with my name, same plate and a BKK address.

So an incorrect, false,  as in not my chonburi address.

Who's address is it ?  

Who gets the speeding tickets  ?

I had no idea what it should have cost because i have never done it before.

She's done it on the cheap so she can pocket the money.        

1 hour ago, yodsak said:

I paid her to put it on a chonburi plate with my chonburi address, the same as the res' cert'  

It came back 5 months later with my name, same plate and a BKK address.

So an incorrect, false,  as in not my chonburi address.

Who's address is it ?  

Who gets the speeding tickets  ?

She's done it on the cheap so she can pocket the money.        

If the owners name was changed but not the address, it sounds weird. Main thing is that name and passport number are correct. You can see the previous history and changes in the book. Now that you have discovered it was some fraudulous agent I would go check all the data of the vehicle on DLTs computers. That it matches the book. I think all those PooRooBoo places can access the same computer system, maybe they can help. It might be that he just saved 10 thb asking to change only the name and not the address. But I would check that everything is in order. I would guess the computer system will also notify of speeding tickets but it dosn't yet matter as it seems you only need to pay them if you want to change the owners name.

I lost my number plate so had to learn all this from scratch and its a lot of steps. No thai friends could clearly explain how it works. Even the 5 different DLT's I have been to in Bangkok and Chonburi and Isan would only explain a small part of the whole process and then I would always be at the wrong office.  I just received my yearly private insurance bill and it still uses the old address for some reason.

7 hours ago, zhangxifu said:

Costs something like 200-300 THB

2 hours ago, yodsak said:

You should have asked before ????

For a small bike the whole package (name and province change, new tax and insurance) about 1000 THB. If it's a more expensive big bike a few hundred baht more. So you paid her probably about 4500 THB too much

1 hour ago, jackdd said:
9 hours ago, zhangxifu said:

Costs something like 200-300 THB

I was told for a car. Assumed same for bikes?

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/16/2019 at 7:14 PM, yodsak said:

Update.  Thats the name of the agent i used.  

727760847_ScreenShot2019-07-16at19_12_31.png.4cf4f2eac3fbb541ffc3532024b8d101.png 

2052668702_ScreenShot2019-07-16at19_10_05.png.8c63897bb3e7f3635df25d0afbc1988c.png

Lucky i got the book back in time.  

UPDATE

That's her. I forgot about this thread but found out about the whole story and that she is a scammer. She is on the loose again btw, but her office is gone.

I made some contacts immediately and so did my wife. Good thing we have some connections, otherwise I think I would never see that book again. I got it delivered to me this afternoon, all is good now.

Archived