Paying your PEA Bill While Out Of Thailand

NCC1701A

I don't have a Thai ID number to use the PEA app and when I use my landlords number it lists all their properties and I really don't want to get into that as they don't speak English and I want to keep it simple. So, how can I pay my PEA bill? I have a feeling I can't which is a bummer because I want to be able to leave for more than a month without the power being shut off.     

Don't know if this helps but opposite me is a big house that the owner comes to about 3 times a year . All the PEA bills get stuck in his tin on the gate . My wife says the bills are nothing to pay . If the bill for the month comes to less then 100B it is added on to the next one , makes sense . No one there so no bill.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Don't know if this helps but opposite me is a big house that the owner comes to about 3 times a year . All the PEA bills get stuck in his tin on the gate . My wife says the bills are nothing to pay . If the bill for the month comes to less then 100B it is added on to the next one , makes sense . No one there so no bill.

Thank you I have internet and CCTV system running. Not sure if that is 100 baht.  

14 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I put several thousand baht on PEA, AIS, True and then they just debt the charge every month, get the bills by email and you can keep track.

How did you manage that? A couple of months ago, I went to PEA’s Pattaya head office, and they told me it was absolutely impossible to pay electricity bills in advance. I asked them very clearly in both English and in my rudimentary Thai. Their accounts section was unable to cope with negative numbers.

I then went to a Bangkok bank branch to see if I could have electricity payments automatically debited to my bank account. The staff member, who was fluent in English, spent 45 minutes filling out a fearsomely complicated form, which I took back to PEA head office. However, a couple of weeks ago, the estate agent that I bought the condo from told me she received an overdue bill, and kindly paid it for me with some money I’d left. However, I can’t expect her to keep on providing me with a free accounting service, and by the time I return to Thailand in a couple of months I expect to have the electricity disconnected, as even though I switched the power off at the fuse box, I believe there’s a small monthly fixed charge. Hope toofarnorth’s correct in that they’ll just add it to the next bill.

• Thanks 2

Thanks Jabis, I’ll look into that when I’m back in Thailand (stupidly forgot to take a bill with the meter ID with me). However, it might need a Thai credit card? which is no doubt a whole new world of bureaucratic pain for me to get.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Up until last month PEA would send me a bill by email I could then pay via my online banking , however they have now installed a plastic tube by my metre and put a printed bill in it which I find is a bit of a nuisance I tried to get an explanation but had no luck . If I were you I would just make sure the fridge was empty and switch off the fuse box in your property so that no electricity is being used   I don’t think they would switch you off .

8 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I then went to a Bangkok bank branch to see if I could have electricity payments automatically debited to my bank account. The staff member, who was fluent in English, spent 45 minutes filling out a fearsomely complicated form, which I took back to PEA head office. However, a couple of weeks ago, the estate agent that I bought the condo from told me she received an overdue bill,

it can take upto 2 bill cycles to kick in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

how?

Go to PEA with a recent bill, get direct debit form, go to bank, get them to complete form.

I think that was how I did it but they may have altered it slightly since then. Ask your bank.

42 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

As far as I know there are only two: PEA (provincial) and MEA (metropolitan). MEA is for Bangkok.

PEA and MEA sell power to households and businesses.

Prices/conditions are equal.

EGAT generates and buys power for the country (not dealing with private customers).

Edited by KhunBENQ

i just added the electric as a payee on bkk bank internet banking and login, choose that payee and it shows amount owed if any.

one thing that is extremely important if you will be outside of thailand is to get international roaming for your thai mobile number as you may need to receive passwords etc related to online banking for security reasons. you can turn off data when roaming and sms message are not expensive to receive.

• Thanks 1