Paying your PEA Bill While Out Of Thailand

NCC1701A

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

You can make up a Thai ID number, change a couple of middle digits of a real number. You can check it has a valid checksum (actually a Luhn check digit for the pedants) using this little app 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/thaiidnumcheck/ (if you're not on a PC there are several online checkers too).

The PEA app does pretty much no checking other than the check digit and if you happen to hit a real ID just cancel and try again with a different number.

Crossy, you lost me at the word 'You'????

OP you really must be living in the dark ages to come on here and ask this question. As others have said, pay by direct debit from your bank all the time, not only when you are out of the country.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 10:57 AM, toofarnorth said:

Don't know if this helps but opposite me is a big house that the owner comes to about 3 times a year . All the PEA bills get stuck in his tin on the gate . My wife says the bills are nothing to pay . If the bill for the month comes to less then 100B it is added on to the next one , makes sense . No one there so no bill.

Correct. 

My wife's Aunt lives in BKK now and she's pays nothing.

If she comes back for a couple of days. The bill under a certain amount does not have to be paid.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Go to PEA with a recent bill, get direct debit form, go to bank, get them to complete form.

I think that was how I did it but they may have altered it slightly since then. Ask your bank.

Still the same process 4 moths ago - took only until next cycle to kick in

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, NCC1701A said:

Thank you I have internet and CCTV system running. Not sure if that is 100 baht.  

If the power is under a certain wattage there is no charge.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Qman said:

You can pay online using the phone app from Kasikorn.  You need the account number from the invoice and when you input the number it pulls up your current balance and you just pay online.  Works very easy and can be used for rentals or owned property.  Not sure about other banks.  I know Kasikorn did not have a PEA payment option last year but it is now available.

I should mention for clarity that this works when you are away from your residence as with just the account number the bill populates the payment app.  Since the number is very long just take a picture of an old one with your phone and have it on file.  If you know the approximate date you receive the bill then easy to do a day after without the bill in hand.  While mostly used to pay online without having to go to 7-11 or PEA office the absentee accessibility is very nice.

I use Counter Service Pay (https://cspay.payatall.com/CSWeb2/#/tabs/home/home), as PEA didn't have a direct epay option when this was setup.  It has worked great for quite awhile now.  However, when my wife and I get back to Thailand in the fall, I'll look into direct debit, as that sounds like a better option in case I forget (or can't) login to check and pay the bill with my "no foreign transaction fee" credit card.

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Go to PEA with a recent bill, get direct debit form, go to bank, get them to complete form.

I think that was how I did it but they may have altered it slightly since then. Ask your bank.

I did the exact same last year with both electric and water bills but returned the completed forms to PEA and the Water company.

I'm using KrungThai Bank.

7 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Correct. 

If she comes back for a couple of days. The bill under a certain amount does not have to be paid.

I just had a bill for last month, i'd used 1 unit of electric and got charged 44 baht!!

PEA Kanchanaburi

I pay the PEA bill With the truemoney app. The first time i scanned the barcode on the bill. After the first bill is paid all the following bills will come up by itself in the truemoney app every month and it is just for me to click on it to confirm the payment. I hope in the future the same will happen to the PWA bills. I have to scan them every month to pay them and they will come every month even if no water is used for many months in a row. The bills for both the electricy and water can be viewed in their Android app so when i have to abroad i open up the PWA app for water to see the barcode for my latest bill and pay it With truemoney app that is installed on another phone. There is no fee for paying bills With truemoney

Edited by Trollmann

I'd use the bank app - Kbank has it but I am pretty sure all other banks do also.

For Kbank in particular, make sure wifi access is enabled in the app settings while travelling abroad.

Or Bluepay (if you take the time to register with your passport). They have PEA as well.

Edited by lkv

presuming you have a Thai bank acc. Go to PEA get a form for direct debit go to your bank with said form go back to PEA and give them the form it can take up to 2 months for it to kick in. They wanted my wifes I D (PEA acc. in her name)and when i protested and explained i am paying the bill from my bank, it was ok.  With sms banking you will get an sms when paid. BBK bank.

Edited by brianthainess
added info

16 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Correct. 

Where i live if you don't pay the bill after 1 mth they take the meter 3000 b to put back and pay upfront money

22 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Up until last month PEA would send me a bill by email I could then pay via my online banking , however they have now installed a plastic tube by my metre and put a printed bill in it which I find is a bit of a nuisance I tried to get an explanation but had no luck . If I were you I would just make sure the fridge was empty and switch off the fuse box in your property so that no electricity is being used   I don’t think they would switch you off .

Although i pay by direct debit the meter man still has to put the bill in the little box it is his job. There is a standing charge about 59 baht if not paid meter removed !

11 hours ago, Boycie said:

I just had a bill for last month, i'd used 1 unit of electric and got charged 44 baht!!

PEA Kanchanaburi

you have to have 2 consecutive months of under the limit amount to get it free. So if last month you used enough to get charged, this month you'll be charged as well for even 1 unit. However if next month you still use under the limit you won't be charged

• Thanks 1

I don't have a Thai ID either but at the PEA office with my GF her number was accepted and I have the PEA app. I then loaded the account numbers for the three properties I rent in different provinces and pay directly from my phone as the account arrives. My landlord who gives me the PEA account at the property I spend most time at, has no knowledge of how I make the payments and I am surprised yours has become involved. Perhaps you are not getting the original PEA account ?It's a great App. Wish Provincial Water had a similar one ?

18 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

you have to have 2 consecutive months of under the limit amount to get it free. So if last month you used enough to get charged, this month you'll be charged as well for even 1 unit. However if next month you still use under the limit you won't be charged

Many thanks LukKrueng, good to know, your a joule.

So at my current rate, if i'm not at ohm and out of the Ampere, watt no charge after 2 months? ????

Proton please, those with a short fuse, no need to relay with any negative comments, i'm only winding you up, lets all be positive here ????

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 2:19 PM, KittenKong said:

I have been paying my PEA bill by direct debit for nearly 10 years. It has never gone wrong and I have never had to even think about it.

Likewise. When going away just pay internet a couple of months in advance, don't have any water bills. All sorted.

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

Many thanks LukKrueng, good to know, your a joule.

So at my current rate, if i'm not at ohm and out of the Ampere, watt no charge after 2 months? ????

Proton please, those with a short fuse, no need to relay with any negative comments, i'm only winding you up, lets all be positive here ????

basically yes. however I was recently told (not by official PEA employee) that this only works for 5amp meters whereas house meters of 15amp have a minimum fee of 100 thb/month. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:01 AM, stbkk said:

I pay my electricity bill via my Bangkok Bank internet banking each month. Once I registered them as a payee (using the CA Ref on the bill as reference) I don't even need to see a bill. I go through the bill payment process and it comes up with the bill amount automatically (BEFORE I press confirm!).

I set it all up in about 5 minutes using Bangkok bank internet banking.

Hope that helps.

Maybe I'm missing something.

the first CA ref field on the payee screen only allows 7 characters; my bill has many more. There are two CA references on my bill. I also have a BBL internet account.

I live in chaam so maybe I don't have the same PEA payee as you. It was worth a try though.

thanks

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/16/2019 at 11:01 AM, stbkk said:

I pay my electricity bill via my Bangkok Bank internet banking each month. Once I registered them as a payee (using the CA Ref on the bill as reference) I don't even need to see a bill. I go through the bill payment process and it comes up with the bill amount automatically (BEFORE I press confirm!).

I set it all up in about 5 minutes using Bangkok bank internet banking.

Hope that helps.

can I ask specifically which entries you used on the bill 

BB asks for a 6 digit number "customer No"  is that the "user No" on the bill

Then there are 2x reference Numbers 1&2 I assume it is "CA Ref No1"

many thanks for the very useful info 

On 7/16/2019 at 12:38 PM, atyclb said:

i just added the electric as a payee on bkk bank internet banking and login, choose that payee and it shows amount owed if any.

one thing that is extremely important if you will be outside of thailand is to get international roaming for your thai mobile number as you may need to receive passwords etc related to online banking for security reasons. you can turn off data when roaming and sms message are not expensive to receive.

How did you did this?

I do not see PEA in the payee list on BBK bank online internet banking?

Or did you pay using BBK bank app?

Thanks

On 7/16/2019 at 10:38 AM, RocketDog said:

....She advised me to use the PEA phone app and pay by credit card. My mastercard just announced the foreign payments fee just increased from 5% to 10% and the exchange rate rape is still free....

foreign transaction fee is really 10%? (includes the "free" exchange rate conversion)  So if you buy something for 8000 baht, you pay the equivalent of 800 baht fee?

On 7/16/2019 at 6:17 AM, jabis said:

You can pay with any credit/debit card or online banks (having 10 baht surcharge)
EDIT: I rather pay with online bank, with 10 baht surcharge, than store credit card information on their server ????

Some of the banks are free.  At least through the PEA app.   But I imagine it would be similar via the browser-based login.

153254807_PEAappinternetbankingsometimesfree.thumb.jpg.bf4decd00231767c3800a3227b079eac.jpg

On 12/27/2019 at 10:20 AM, zeekgarcia said:

How did you did this?

I do not see PEA in the payee list on BBK bank online internet banking?

Or did you pay using BBK bank app?

Thanks

use bangkok bank i banking . aka bualuang banking

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 10.42.16.png

I am using the PEA app and when I click on pay my mobile banking automatically shows a request to pay the bill from PEA  (there is probably a stage in the PEA app where i indicate my bank and mobile number, I forget).

Then all I have to do is pay it no need to enter any reference numbers as it all transferred over automatically from the PEA app.

I have been out of country most of the past 3 months now and paid via PEA app and Mobile banking each month, no problem at all. (other than need to remember to check for the bill each month).

As a follow up to my post back on page 1 of this topic, the lady at the Bangkok Bank who spent so long filling out such a complicated form must have done a good job, because my PEA payments were successfully linked to my Bangkok Bank account, and I was relieved to return to my condo with the electricity still connected. Much easier for someone of my age to get bank staff to handle the process, instead of struggling with some “app”.

The only thing I need to do now is keep the bank account topped up, don’t even need to look at an electricity bill. Just hope this auto debit keeps working...