Entering Thailand by air several times per year for short visits

Still unable to find anything written on this by immigration although land crossings are fixed at twice per annum. Following a recent two week stay in Thailand I was questioned by passport control as to why I did not have a visa and this was when I was leaving Thailand at Don Muang. I want to visit Thailand a few times each year for less than 30 days each time and would like to know the exact rules for doing so. I am a UK passport holder living in Cambodia. 

• Like 1

There are no written rules about what you have done or are planning on doing.

The only rule that was ever written was to check for those doing out/in trips to get new 30 day visa exempt entry to stay in the country,

• Like 1

Less than 30 days each time? If it is something like a few days each time, I think there shouldn't be a problem entering dozens of time each year. If it is 20 days or more each time, I think that may be a problem.

As for land border crossings, Malaysians are the only nationality exempt from the two entry limit. After all, many Malaysians cross over to Betong and Hat Yai to spend the weekend there.

I do more 15 visa on arrivals each year. Stay between 5 and 28 days. In that time had a 1 day overstay fine. Aus passport

Only questioned once to put more details of my intended place of residence In Thailand.

• Thanks 1

The commonality for being denied with a "good" western passport seems to be a cumulative stay of 9 months or more for 2 or more years consecutive years. Even then your chances of being denied are probably small, but you would be understandably nervous when going through immigration.

If your cumulative stay is say 6 months per year your chances of being denied are very close to nil. 

Caveat: The above assumes you have had zero issues during your stay in LOS

If you keep each stay to below 14 days then you will probably be fine.

The only two questions you need to ask yourself are:

1- will it be enough to enjoy your stay?

2- Do you really want to attach yourself to a place that will probably put you in a lot of heartache at some point in time..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There is no set limited, but immigration office have the discretional power to deny entry following any number of previous visits. They are only likely to deny entry if they think your living in the country.

A few entries per year of less than 30 days should not be a problem.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

There are no written rules about what you have done or are planning on doing.

The only rule that was ever written was to check for those doing out/in trips to get new 30 day visa exempt entry to stay in the country,

Joe, I've actually come across information that states that the number of times you can enter via an international airport in a calendar year on a 30 day exemption is NOW 4. Unfortunately I'm unable to locate the link to post it here. I do have a friend who was refused entry on his 5th visit last year at Swampy, so IO's appear to be enforcing this new limitation.

17 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Joe, I've actually come across information that states that the number of times you can enter via an international airport in a calendar year on a 30 day exemption is NOW 4. Unfortunately I'm unable to locate the link to post it here. I do have a friend who was refused entry on his 5th visit last year at Swampy, so IO's appear to be enforcing this new limitation.

See my post above.  There may have been other factors involved in your friends refusal.  I have 7 visa exempt entries 2019 year to date. 

Bear in mind a couple of these were only for three days. I've never stayed 30 days. 

I also have a non tourist reason for visiting Thailand and put my wife's full address on the immi form. 

Whether that makes a difference I really don't know. 

Edited by emptypockets
Fixing Autospell nonsense words

We spend just under a month in Thailand each year, as well as one night stopovers to and from Europe from Australia two or three times a year (ie up to 8 arrivals per year).  Having been doing this for years, and never a problem.  Always Visa exempt, and Australian passports.  We are upright looking citizens in our 60s though!

• Like 1

I am a regular visitor during UK winter on 30 days and UK visa no overstays , for a number of years I am a tourist no hidden story last time at CM got interviewed for 2 hours and told I must from now get visa from UK.

My point being it is just a part of it know and people need to be aware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I am a regular visitor during UK winter on 30 days and UK visa no overstays , for a number of years I am a tourist no hidden story last time at CM got interviewed for 2 hours and told I must from now get visa from UK.

My point being it is just a part of it know and people need to be aware.

My story is that two years ago after coming on visa exempt for many years, normally 5/6 times/ yr for 14-19 days each time I was randomly told that if i wanted to come again I would need some kind of visa. 

A friend of mine similar situation only more frequent and for longer still comes and goes never been questioned. 

Go figure. As most things in Thailand it’s totally random. 

Royal Thai Embassy, London, UK

thaiembassy.org

30-Day Visa Exemption Scheme

Foreigner's who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6- month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossings.

It also refers to Proof of adequate finances for duration of stay and Proof of onward travel (confirmed) to leave Thailand within 30 days of arrival date.

8 minutes ago, Somerset Vinney said:

Foreigner's who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6- month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossings.

Very old incorrect info on the embassy website.

The police order for the 90 days in 6 months rule was rescinded in 2008. That is when the 15 days at land border crossing went into effect and it has also been rescinded.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, geisha said:

Briggsy, Hes living in Cambodia !

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, I know. That is what my post says. Read it again. You may have misunderstood.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, Briggsy said:

2. Obtaining a non-immigrant visa from the UK (perhaps on the grounds of retirement)

I certainly don't understand the relevance of obtaining a Non Imm O from the UK when he lives in Cambodia and how that would help with his entries into Thailand.

• Like 1

Just now, Tanoshi said:

I certainly don't understand the relevance of obtaining a Non Imm O from the UK when he lives in Cambodia and how that would help with his entries into Thailand.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the OP, a UK citizen, may go to the UK every now and then. 

The place he is most likely to be able to get a non-imm O based on retirement is his own country. That is why I suggested getting it in the UK. He won't get one in Phnom Penh. Are you getting my drift now?

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the OP, a UK citizen, may go to the UK every now and then. 

The place he is most likely to be able to get a non-imm O based on retirement is his own country. That is why I suggested getting it in the UK. He won't get one in Phnom Penh. Are you getting my drift now?

No, the Non O will grant him one 90 entry.

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Re-entry permit. 

Multiple entries for 90 days, hardly helps for the other 9 months.

If I was going back to the UK and in the OP's situation, I go for the Non 0-A Visa.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, Fuzzyken said:

I was questioned by passport control as to why I did not have a visa

How did this line of questioning go? What was the feedback you got? Pointless following the advice from others here about going to London for a Non O or getting a Thai elite visa when you could be worrying over nothing? As one poster said he's been in / out 15 times on visa exempt no issues.

1 minute ago, MJKT2014 said:

How did this line of questioning go? What was the feedback you got? Pointless following the advice from others here about going to London for a Non O or getting a Thai elite visa when you could be worrying over nothing? As one poster said he's been in / out 15 times on visa exempt no issues.

I take your point. But the OP stated he comes several times a year for less than 30 days (Is this 3 days or 3 weeks???) on visa exempt. Given the current environment, I don't think he will be having "no issues" for much longer. 

Therefore a solution might be a good idea. Prevention is better than a cure. Several good solutions have been put forward but as we don't know the OP's circumstances, we don't know which are appropriate.

• Like 1