Entering Thailand by air several times per year for short visits

One thing I forgot to mention on this subject - around 18 months ago I asked about my position regarding the likelihood of being denied entry. On that occasion the I.O. I talked to suggested I enter on a tourist visa, then do a couple of exempt entries followed by a tourist visa and so on.

I took this advice with a pinch of salt as it sounded wrong to me. Surely, in assessing whether you are a genuine tourist or not the criteria is how many times you enter and how long you stay for - rather than what type of entry you make? On the occasions when I thought I was going to have problems, all I've seen the I.O.'s doing is counting my entry stamps.

Has anyone else been told the same?

17 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

One thing I forgot to mention on this subject - around 18 months ago I asked about my position regarding the likelihood of being denied entry. On that occasion the I.O. I talked to suggested I enter on a tourist visa, then do a couple of exempt entries followed by a tourist visa and so on.

Yes, 18 months ago that was the case.

Today, because the xenophobia has sunk in, as described in the news articles about Suvarnabhumi being crowded, it looks like this:

============

Each immigration officer is in charge of carrying out seven steps for immigration clearance: checking each passenger’s face with the passport photo, checking visas, checking possible blacklisting, scanning fingerprints, taking a photo, stamping the entry approval, and interviewing the passenger.

He said each immigration officer took about 50 seconds to handle a passenger’s clearance.   During rush hours, the immigration counters at Suvarnabhumi Airport could clear about 2,000 passengers within an hour, but the immigration officers also had to be on alert for foreign criminals trying to pass themselves off as tourists, and many passengers were not allowed to enter the Kingdom, Choengron added.

CONCLUSION: Many foreign criminals come to our beloved Kingdom under a tourist visa to commit crimes and are being denied entry.

Edited by lkv