BANGKOK
TerryClarke

Tailor made suit in Bangkok

How much should I expect to pay for tailor made suite in Bangkok, let's say the middle quality (wool with cashmere fabric)? 

How long does it take to tailor it? 

Any recommendations? 🙂 

What should I be careful of?

40 minutes ago, TerryClarke said:

How long does it take to tailor it? 

Any recommendations? 🙂 

Tailor On Ten, Sukhumvit Soi 8.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 12:34 PM, Briggsy said:

Indians.

Indians who tout in tourist areas.

Indians who ask when you fly out.

Indians who say that is very fortunate we can just do that for you in time and you can pick it up on the afternoon you fly.

Mark my words. 

I've met lot of them in Chiang Mai but their reviews are good so I am confused a bit. Where is the truth? 😄

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 1:25 PM, CharlieH said:

Beware of "mock" shops, they usually have what looks like rolls of fabric on the shelves but it's all an illusion, they are just a sales point for a central sweat shop ! They are purely say what you want to here to get the money, they don't "Tailor" anything.

For example, this one looks very similar to what you describe and look at the reviews... 

Edited by TerryClarke
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, TerryClarke said:

For example, this one looks very similar to what you describe and look at the reviews... 

Clearly NOT the same then is it ! If it has that type/quantity of reviews.

The shops I spoke of are usually considerably smaller and usually dont have large window displays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TerryClarke said:

I've met lot of them in Chiang Mai but their reviews are good so I am confused a bit. Where is the truth? 😄

Ah yes, the reviews. I have to snigger, I am sorry. Even back in the early 90's, the first thing you were shown was the review book with Klaus from Munich saying, "Wunderbar" and Helga, Sweden, "So efficient and my dress fits me so well," and so on.

The same scams, the same methods, just stick it online. Don't change a winning formula.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:35 PM, Briggsy said:

Ah yes, the reviews. I have to snigger, I am sorry. Even back in the early 90's, the first thing you were shown was the review book with Klaus from Munich saying, "Wunderbar" and Helga, Sweden, "So efficient and my dress fits me so well," and so on.

The same scams, the same methods, just stick it online. Don't change a winning formula.

So you think that the reviews on Google and TripAdviser are bought? 

1 hour ago, TerryClarke said:

So you think that the reviews on Google and TripAdviser are bought? 

With reference to Bangkok tailors, you bet, 100%.

May I ask you why you want to get a suit made in Thailand?

Reputation of higher quality than in the West? No.

Source of raw materials? No. Wool!!!! 😄

Consumer protection, such as refunds for poor quality? Not a chance.

Cheaper labour? Yes, but not as much as you think and other countries are much cheaper still.

Because it is on the tourist trail? Maybe.

I use Tanika. For a suit minimum 2 weeks with probably 2 fittings. 

http://www.tanikatailor.com/

If you want a suit made in 2 or 3 days then don't bother going to Tanika. They would refuse - it is not the way they do business, as is the case with Tailor on Ten.

• Thanks 1

I have used Jackie’s on Suk Soi 9 a few times with good results. Mostly just go for shirts now though, since I hate wearing a suit. 

Rajawongse clothiers on Suk. Between the Landmark Hotel and Soi4. Been using them for years have shirts I have been wearing for 3 years still look new. They are not inexpensive but you will get what you pay for. These guys have been at the same location for around 20 years. The main cost is the quality of the fabric and they have their own cutting shop. they are closer to Landmark hotel.