Pattaya: New "baht bus" man's iron fist - fines of 100 baht as "new dimension" in travel mooted

webfact

Pattaya: New "baht bus" man's iron fist - fines of 100 baht as "new dimension" in travel mooted

9pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

The new head of the song thaew's or baht buses in Pattaya told a meeting on Saturday about his fourteen point master plan for a "new dimension in quality service". 

Sophon called it an "iron fist" approach as Tawat Pheuakbunnark attempts to bring order to Pattaya' public vehicles. 

Police - both the tourist variety and regulars - looked on as 100 operators at the drivers' HQ were told that fighting, drug dealing, drunken driving, ripping off tourists and poor driving were now things of the past. Or else!

66951126_2518338948187024_2221565378520154112_n.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

The "or else", as reported by Sophon, was 100-500 baht fines and licence suspensions. 

A large sign on the stage called it "A song thaew training project". 

Here is Tawat's cunning "Do and Don't" plan in the order as reported by Sophon:

1. Do dress nicely.

2. Do display charges, driver details and routes.

3. Do take passengers where they want to go.

4. Don't rip anyone off.

5. Don't exhibit bad manners.

6. Don't park illegally.

7. Don't attack officials.

8. Don't drink alcohol or do drugs.

9. Don't drive in a scary manner.

10. Don't attack passengers or steal their possessions.

11. Do use the proper stops.

12. Do obey the rules and timings of the rank.

13. Don't deal drugs or possess drugs.

and 

14. Don't fight and swear.

Tawat was quoted as saying that 100 - 500 baht fines would be levied on those that break the rules. 

In addition there would be seven day suspensions and even total bans from Pattaya. 

Thaivisa notes that Sophon did not report if the drivers were quaking in their boots following the meeting. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-15

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

Tawat was quoted as saying that 100 - 500 baht fines would be levied on those that break the rules. 

If he thinks the drivers would be worried about that, he's a bigger Tawat than everyone thought.

Just now, bluesofa said:

If he thinks the drivers would be worried about that, he's a bigger Tawat than everyone thought.

Notice the big smiles of the drivers.

I had a look to see if I could recognize the one that physically assaulted me. 

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Priceless absolutely priceless, 14 point plan which not 1 of the baht bus drivers will ever put in operation.:cheesy:

The Mafia remains too powerful and will pay the usual lip service to it.

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sophon called it an "iron fist" approach

Hamfisted .?

53 minutes ago, webfact said:

Here is Tawat's cunning "Do and Don't" plan in the order as reported by Sophon:

Not since the days of Baldrick has a plan been so cunning .. 

IMG_20190715_074615.jpg

5 minutes ago, champers said:

When all's said and done, the baht busses serve Pattaya very well. Prices never increase and if required to act as removal van, delivery van, tour bus then decent rates can be agreed.

Yeah more or less. 

But in my earlier year's here they would accept 5 baht for short rides and it was generally 5 baht for Thais overall. Not the case for a long time. So it's not true that the fares haven't gone up. Of course the 10 baht fare is usually a great deal, emphasis on usually. The list of orders suggests some of the times that it isn't. 

4. Don't rip anyone off.

Yep no problem ... the trouble is there ain't no passengers to do that to (tourism 20% > 30% down)

32 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Been living in Jomtien more than a decade. Only once was I cheated, when gave driver a 20 baht note and he drove off in a hurry so as not to return change.

Well, people can avoid being cheated fare-wise by always paying in exact change and trying to never actually speak to the drivers, as that can easily morph into a charter fare ride.

That said getting cheated can be relative.

Like if you're going from Jomtien to Pattaya and they turn at Pattaya Tai or kick you out at Pattaya Tai (neither particularly rare) and you meant to go much further. 

Lots of cases like that.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

1. Do dress nicely.

number one. image is number 1. all image and no substance.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

4. Don't rip anyone off.

6. Don't park illegally.

and 

the other points are anti tradition and culture 

I will never forget a driver physically hitting and pushing a foreigner to make him move up, where  everyone was already packed so tight you could hardly breathe ! His kids were looking on visibly upset,  it was a disgusting  scene !! The screaming cursing woman at the bus stop in front of the school , direction Jomtien, should also be sacked, she’s a shame to all thailand ! 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

1. Do dress nicely.

4. Don't rip anyone off.

6. Don't park illegally.

and 

???????????????? Does anyone think that's enough ???

Give me the job to sort this, i have hands on experience handling drivers of  public transport, correct iron fist is the way but more important, suspension,  and if caught driving again prison 2 years.

These people ate sucking the life blood out of Phuket, also every vehicle to display government send of the phone number to complain to, no visible sign 5000 bt, if you rule with an iron fist follow it through sir

54 minutes ago, geisha said:

I will never forget a driver physically hitting and pushing a foreigner to make him move up, where  everyone was already packed so tight you could hardly breathe ! His kids were looking on visibly upset,  it was a disgusting  scene !! The screaming cursing woman at the bus stop in front of the school , direction Jomtien, should also be sacked, she’s a shame to all thailand ! 

I have witnessed scenes like that numerous times. Another thing they do if they're not happy is to order you to WALK to Jomtien. 

Archived