Pattaya lets stray dogs remain on street after shots

Rimmer

N1-Jul-08-02-Sukhumvit-Soi-15-dogs.jpg

PATTAYA:--Health Department workers rounded up a group of stray dogs, but only sterilized and vaccinated them before returning the mutts to the East Pattaya streets.

Deputy Mayor Manote Nongyai and Surapong Wongsuttawad, head of the Veterinary Office, inspected a field next to G Garage on Sukhumvit Soi 15 near Pattaya Technological College July 8.

Garage owner Sophon Makampom had complained about the pack of soi dogs that lived in the field, saying they bred often and he was worried about them biting children.

Dog catchers rounded up the strays and brought them to a shelter where they are being sterilized, vaccinated and given health care. Then the city plans to return the wild dogs to the street because neighbors around the feed them daily.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-07-15—

13 minutes ago, Kim J said:

I wasn't aware that there was a canine vaccination to prevent them biting children?

Personally I think the headline is maybe referring to the wrong type of "shots".

The only shots should be 12 gauge 

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Then the city plans to return the wild dogs to the street because neighbors around the feed them daily.

They feed them sure, but somehow they have never seen the dog before when a child gets mauled.

I think in this case the sensible approach is that the mayor can order them released on the street, with the caveat that if one of them attacks a person the mayor is penally responsible.

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Then the city plans to return the wild dogs to the street because neighbors around the feed them daily.

put the wild dogs where those idiots feed the dogs people live or put them in shelters so this people can come feed them there 

dogs don't belong on streets or other people's property 

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Freely roaming around packs of stray dogs looks awfully.

And these people wonder why Western tourist numbers are down. Westerners have had it with their thainess. OK folks here is your 3 star hotel with stray dogs and taxi trash entrance. 

16 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Then the city plans to return the wild dogs to the street

Medieval!  Tourist numbers down 30%?  I know, let's set loose packs of wild dogs on Pattaya's sois and see if that improves the figures!

16 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Could it be they leave them to serve as a warning to other dogs to say, this will be YOU if you don't behave...

While they were sterilizing a few for the good PR far more were being born to the ones they did not bother catching. There is a reason they cannot bring themselves to deal with the dog infestation properly, but the country being what it is it cannot even be discussed.

this is the lack of responsibility that is "thainess", which is one of my dislikes about thailand. have a dog, decide can't or don't want it anymore and just turn it out or dump at the wat, no problem. Problem. catch a few dogs and give them shots, ok problem solved and not my problem any more.

meanwhile... tray dogs are everywhere. they sleep in the middle of the street, they roam in packs, occasionally an ornery one will try to get your leg whilst riding a motorcy, and I read they occasionally will dine on small children. that last point probably happens far more often than is reported.

I don't think tourists who stay in the tourist usual tourist spots would ever see a pack of 5-10 wandering at 1AM nor realize that you stood a decent chance of being dogfood if you had to walk through them.

Not surprising the responses, good example of farang mindset vs Buddhist/local. I applaud the actions, and while the dogs plight is indeed unfortunate, quite simply it is a positive action vs negative.  Kindness many locals show to homeless “pets” that have long since been discarded is heartening. 

Of course, anyone that wishes to do something about it vs talk, donate (to support spaying, vaccinations, etc), and adopt is best. I recently adopted a feral cat that is a great addition to the family. 

Hopefully the City Hall will pay at least for the rabies treatment of tourists  and perhaps some compensation for the troubles and lost holiday days. When you get bitten you don't know if this Soi Dog got vaccinated or not. Often there is only the option to start treatment immediately. I myself got bitten in Soi Buakhao in front of a 7-Eleven. But who cares. Sadly I am not as important as many Soi dogs. 

Brainless society , It's animal cruelty what they are doing  wild roaming street dogs should be put down they are full of mange flies tics worms parasites.Don't let them suffer more than need be it's no good prolonging their life after being fixed and let them go wild again. Get people to register their dogs/cats and fine them if the dog roams around the streets Make the roads safe for children, people to walk/ride on. It's already bad enough that we must put up with the Maniac brainless drivers 24/7 . end of rant.

53 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Brainless society , It's animal cruelty what they are doing  wild roaming street dogs should be put down they are full of mange flies tics worms parasites.Don't let them suffer more than need be it's no good prolonging their life after being fixed and let them go wild again. Get people to register their dogs/cats and fine them if the dog roams around the streets Make the roads safe for children, people to walk/ride on. It's already bad enough that we must put up with the Maniac brainless drivers 24/7 . end of rant.

Best to stay in your country where all is well.

You don't have to 'put up' with anything. Is someone forcing you to stay within a "brainless society"?

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

Best to stay in your country where all is well.

You don't have to 'put up' with anything. Is someone forcing you to stay within a "brainless society"?

Just shows that some people put up with any crap instead of voicing  a solution to a serious Rabies problem wait till some Mutts with Rabies put his teeth in you ,,, than you will know, maybe than it can change your mind ,,, maybe not ,,,, bad luck for you.  ????

20 hours ago, Beggar said:

I myself got bitten in Soi Buakhao in front of a 7-Eleven. But who cares. Sadly I am not as important as many Soi dogs. 

There it was, minding it's own business, sleeping on the step of the 7-11, enjoying the occasional waft of AC, when someone raised a foot over it!

So its OK now. The dogs have had their shots and can now freely bite or attack children without the kids getting  rabies.
Buddhism definitely challenges Islam in the idiocy stakes.

Islamic areas are free of feral stray dogs.

Archived