Policy debate not for censuring govt: Prayut

snoop1130

Policy debate not for censuring govt: Prayut

By The Nation

800_1d3540884671fcc.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha urged the opposition on Monday not to focus on attacking his new government when it delivers its policy statement to Parliament next week, pointing out it was not a censure debate.

The parliamentary opposition led by the Pheu Thai Party has promised to perform their duty “in a constructive manner” by scrutinising the government during the session.

A joint parliamentary meeting of the House of Representatives and the Senate is scheduled for July 25 for the new government led by General Prayut to deliver its policy statement. The process is required by the Constitution before the new administration can start working officially.

“Please understand that this session on July 25 is to present the policy statement and to make suggestions to complete something that is missing. It’s not for censuring the government. That’s another matter, for another session,” the PM said during a press conference at Government House.

“I would like to stress that this is not a forum for an early debate on the government’s performance.”

Pheu Thai secretary general Anudith Nakornthap said the seven-party opposition bloc was well prepared for the debate and would not be deterred from carrying out its duties.

“We will place importance on scrutinising the government on all issues,” he said. “The focus will be on the people’s problems, particularly the economic recession and the larger gap between the rich and the poor.”

Anudith promised that opposition MPs would work constructively and focus solely on the interests of the people and the country. “We will not do anything that does not benefit the public,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373005

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-15

My major concern is that much of the rhetoric coming from the opposition is "censure, censure, censure..." What we need is genuine debate to show the government and its polices up, not immature point scoring against individual ministers that (based on current numbers) can get us nowhere.

1 hour ago, bangkokfrog said:

My major concern is that much of the rhetoric coming from the opposition is "censure, censure, censure..." What we need is genuine debate to show the government and its polices up, not immature point scoring against individual ministers that (based on current numbers) can get us nowhere.

To be fair it's a bit hard to debate policy when the have not been released yet.

2 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Agreed,  I would like that in Australia as well. 

It is a little soon to start the censure thing. Allow the government to form, announce what policies they are going to follow out of the myriad of possibilities from the assorted parties that make up the government, then censure them for their actions or inactions. Remember the government has not been sworn in yet.

Once the government is actually formed and has done something, then start the censure thing, keeping in mind there can only be be one fully debated censure motion  a year. So make it count.

Archived