when will thai tax authority begin taxing those using monthly "pension"?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subject to the provisions of paragraph 2 of Article 21 (Government Service), pensions and other similar remuneration paid to a resident of a Contracting State in consideration of past employment shall be taxable only in that State.

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/u-s-thai-tax-treaty-pensions-and-social-security-payments-article-20/

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Subject to the provisions of paragraph 2 of Article 21 (Government Service), pensions and other similar remuneration paid to a resident of a Contracting State in consideration of past employment shall be taxable only in that State.

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/u-s-thai-tax-treaty-pensions-and-social-security-payments-article-20/

so, what is the definition of state in this ref.?

If Thailand starts taxing foreign pensions and requires expensive and useless medical insurance policies for extensions of stay then they will get their wish.  Most (if not all) non-o pensioners will leave for good.  

Said this as soon as people started depositing pensions directly each month.. The 800k savings route is safe but those reporting directly bringing pensions in are literally signing a tax liability. 

I mean, why would Thailand just ignore that free revenue ?? 

Just now, LivinLOS said:

Said this as soon as people started depositing pensions directly each month.. The 800k savings route is safe but those reporting directly bringing pensions in are literally signing a tax liability. 

Should be safe from "double taxation" if your country has a tax treaty with Thailand (as the USA does) but who knows whether Thailand will honor that treaty or not.

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

Immigration officials are poor sources of Revenue Department and Foreign Ministry information. Those concerned about their tax liabilities should investigate their home country/Thailand agreements on taxation. Most pensions are taxed by the home country.

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why not just come our homes and shoot pepper spray in our faces?

The way this is going it will have to same effect.

That said, I will believe that change will actually happens when it actually happens.

What with this and the 'shop a working farang' theme. Forget the pepper spray; just shoot us!

13 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Well if taxes have not been paid in the home state on the pension income being deposited in Thailand each month and the tax payer is resident in Thailand then the taxes theoretically should be paid in Thailand on that income subject to threshold and allowances etc...

4 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Usually the tax authority should be dealing with tax and is dependent upon several factors, residence, taxes already paid and double taxation treaties.

Why is an immigration official bringing up taxes and discussing personal taxes with you?

not a personal discussion, was in the fab103 transcript of their meeting with the imm. chief of jomtien.  didn't you listen to.  and by the way, if i did have this discussion i don't feel the need to tell anyone why.

This is getting more and more ridiculous.  We just had a thread with OP stating that the banks will prevent you from withdrawing your 400k in your account.  Now this nonsense about taxing your monthly pension income.  Why stop at taxing monthly pension income?  What is the difference if I accumulate 12 months of pensions and put it in my bank account as 800K?  To be taxed too?  Why people are so paranoid?  Don't believe anything until it is gazetted as law/order.  Even after that, there are so many interpretations.

Why stress over something that is not in existence?

21 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

If Thailand starts taxing foreign pensions and requires expensive and useless medical insurance policies for extensions of stay then they will get their wish.  Most (if not all) non-o pensioners will leave for good.  

You said it like it would be a bad thing. 

3 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Why stress over something that is not in existence?

I am putting this up right now, for Thaivisa sentence of the year. Voting starts now.

You heard it here first. Repeat those words of his in half the threads you see in this place and you will be fine. 

8 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

not a personal discussion, was in the fab103 transcript of their meeting with the imm. chief of jomtien.  didn't you listen to.  and by the way, if i did have this discussion i don't feel the need to tell anyone why.

I have no idea what fab103 is and what you are referring to.

Scare mongering

Thailand has tax treaties with most of the countries retirees are from which would preclude this

Immigration staff are not tax experts and have nothing to say about what income is and is nto taxed

13 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Well if taxes have not been paid in the home state on the pension income being deposited in Thailand each month and the tax payer is resident in Thailand then the taxes theoretically should be paid in Thailand on that income subject to threshold and allowances etc...

Don't tell 'em. How would they know?

35 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

This is getting more and more ridiculous.  We just had a thread with OP stating that the banks will prevent you from withdrawing your 400k in your account.  Now this nonsense about taxing your monthly pension income.  Why stop at taxing monthly pension income?  What is the difference if I accumulate 12 months of pensions and put it in my bank account as 800K?  To be taxed too?  Why people are so paranoid?  Don't believe anything until it is gazetted as law/order.  Even after that, there are so many interpretations.

I don't think you get it Kopitiam.

First they are trying to get us with the paperwork; the TM this and that. Then its the medical insurance. Then it's the visa regulations. Now it's tax the pensions and shop the farang. Finally when we are in hand-cuffs, and we ask sheepishly if we can have back our 800k, just Cheshire cat grins all round and lots of pointing in front of the cameras.

On 7/15/2019 at 6:40 PM, LivinLOS said:

I mean, why would Thailand just ignore that free revenue

The money is not earned in Thailand or originated in Thailand as any form of income.

The Immigration person is blowing smoke- they don't like the income method- too much work and using the 800K also  allows agents into the system.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Why not just come our homes and shoot pepper spray in our faces?

The way this is going it will have to same effect.

That said, I will believe that change will actually happens when it actually happens.

So why not tell them that this has been discussed many times on here and the answer has always been the same.  You only pay tax once and Thailand has treaties which guarantee this.

14 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The money is not earned in Thailand or originated in Thailand as any form of income.

The Immigration person is blowing smoke- they don't like the income method- too much work and using the *))K also  allows agents into the system.

Let me interject there Thaidream.

The recent topics on sending money to Thailand has been debated long and hard. If you use TransferWise (say) the chances are that your account will show a deposit from another Thai bank, when you transfer. It will not be long before we are asked to explain every itemized transaction; both in and out.

The Thai government have spies on TVFourm. Sleepers. Paid to watch and read; silently.

Get your plan B reads brethren.

Archived