when will thai tax authority begin taxing those using monthly "pension"?

Why not just come our homes and shoot pepper spray in our faces? 

Now you have done it!   Officials are checking with legal to see if they can proceed with your plan...

While I lay sleeping...Immigration officials are meeting in the middle of the night trying to come up with more deep-do to force on expats...

Why not just expel all expats...except their motherland folks...the Chinese...and be done with it...????

Thailand was once the premier destination for expats...greed, suspicion and desire to control...has ruined this country for retirees...????

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Thai government have spies on TVFourm. Sleepers. Paid to watch and read

It might not occur to you then that the Thai Government has not the slightest interest in monitoring the meanderings of elderly retirees of modest backgrounds and income and many in fact without a pot to piss in.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, jayboy said:

It might not occur to you then that the Thai Government has not the slightest interest in monitoring the meanderings of elderly retirees of modest backgrounds and income and many in fact without a pot to piss in.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes jayboy! It did occur to me that the Thai Government has not the slightest interest in monitoring the meanderings of elderly retirees of modest backgrounds and income and many in fact without a pot to piss in.

But, going by their recent activities, we all need a plan B. SRTLater.

Have you not got your finger on the pulse of intent?

Just now, owl sees all said:

Yes jayboy! It did occur to me that the Thai Government has not the slightest interest in monitoring the meanderings of elderly retirees of modest backgrounds and income and many in fact without a pot to piss in.

yes, is this quote accurate? as i remember:  to be forewarnded is to be forearmed. ?

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i heard they are going to do mass arrests and execute us all. 

anybody hear that one?

Yes i heard that also,they will start in Hua hin tonight!!!555

11 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i heard they are going to do mass arrests and execute us all. 

anybody hear that one?

I've not heard that. In that case, I think they would lock us up and interrogate us; not just kill us willy-nilly. Then after the AA, just deport us to the country of our choice. Unless we were skint; in which case let us rot in prison.

What about our human rights? Surely an International organization would step in to offer emotional support.

11 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I also heard that every single Farang male, married or not has to move to Pattaya and start a romance with a bar girl. 

They want to see photos, chats, gifts, bank transfers to bar girl(s).  

If I recall correctly, all you have to do is show them your trophy cabinet.

48 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I have. Condo staff have been asked to ignore the sandbags at my apartment door.

Next will be a sample of retirees brain tissue. It has been found to be more eco-friendly and just as transparent as clingfilm, and if taken from the frontal lobe, can generate some jolly friendly chaps from the curmudgeonly, yet slim, and completely sober lady benefactors.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I've not heard that. In that case, I think they would lock us up and interrogate us; not just kill us willy-nilly. Then after the AA, just deport us to the country of our choice. Unless we were skint; in which case let us rot in prison.

What about our human rights? Surely an International organization would step in to offer emotional support.

Stuff emotional support. We need money!

#Crowdfundme

3 hours ago, userabcd said:

Well if taxes have not been paid in the home state on the pension income being deposited in Thailand each month and the tax payer is resident in Thailand then the taxes theoretically should be paid in Thailand on that income subject to threshold and allowances etc...

That's going to blow a hole in the average ageing Lothario's monthly LDV allowance, no?

Double tax threaty only fits state pensions tho, not most private pensions and they could be taxed if moved into thailand directly - why not? That's what the law says...

The other big newspaper that shall not be named also reported that tm30 stuff will be made available to the revenue department to go after landlords, wouldn't surprise me.

Just comply with the tax laws here, structuring around them is easy enough...

8 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Double tax threaty only fits state pensions tho, not most private pensions and they could be taxed if moved into thailand directly - why not? That's what the law says...

The other big newspaper that shall not be named also reported that tm30 stuff will be made available to the revenue department to go after landlords, wouldn't surprise me.

Just comply with the tax laws here, structuring around them is easy enough...

yes, agree with you, was just considering how troublesome it could be to prove to authorities here why I owe no tax on my ss in the usa. and shouldn't here either. just have to see what comes down.

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I think there will be DTR double tax relief, i.e don't pay tax in both say UK and Thailand. The different rates might need to be looked at.

But the monthly income 65k from pension is a set up ready to just kick off the tax process

It has been mentioned in many threads that the DTA between UK and Thailand does not include pensions unless "Government" (for which read civil service not State Pension) and possibly forces pensions.

I will even find you the DTA link if you really want it..........:thumbsup:

Interesting?

I have a number of accounts here all with Bangkok Bank.

Yesterday I made a deposit into my son accounts I wanted to update one of my books, this one has my name and my brother who also lives here had this account and book for 10 years it has never been used for any income method monthly or yearly. Through the years I deposited money from different sources into this account.

While updating the book at one of their machine, I was given interest and right below I was assessed a tax which has never been done before. If this is the same tax in question it does exist!

20 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

If this is the same tax in question it does exist!

It is withholding tax and has also been discussed in a couple of threads - 

Recent one here - 

19 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Should be safe from "double taxation" if your country has a tax treaty with Thailand (as the USA does) but who knows whether Thailand will honor that treaty or not.

There is a double taxation agreement with the UK too. Most countries are now co-operating with each other on tax details and bank account information etc. Any that started dishonoring tax treaties would likely find themselves quickly in deep <deleted> with all the others. Consequences might include a great focus on overseas held bank accounts and money laundering of significant nationals of the country found to be dishonoring the treaty. I doubt Thailand would want to go down that route.

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Seems to me the amount of clickbait hysteria on the basis of unsubstantiated statements from dubious sources is trending up on ThaiVisa.

As is the eagerness of TV members to embrace any comment made by any ( presumably non-Thai) poster as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth rather than just pot stirring nonsense. It used to be only on April Fools Day when all the TV fish rushed to swallow any ridiculous " news" report as gospel. Now everyday is the 1st of April. And if you try to correct any obvious errors you'll be called a pedant or a semantic nit picker or far worse.

These days " alternative facts" are in vogue at the highest levels in a world driven by fear mongering trolls. But as noted circa 80 years ago ...

image.jpeg.fcbb71878b011d416187a6f765dd571e.jpeg

I said this was a risk as soon as they started insisting on monthly deposits into Thailand. The rule is (and has been for a long time) that overseas income is not taxable in Thailand unless it's brought into the country during the year in which it's made. So an annual deposit can always be regarded as digging into your pre-existing savings, and would not be taxable. It's probably harder to prove that your income isn't current in the case of monthly deposits, and impossible if the source is stated as a pension provider.

So when will this happen if it isn't just another red herring? My betting is in around three years time, or not long thereafter, when Thailand fully implements the OECD's CRS reporting of financial information. This is a major threat to people such as myself who worked overseas in the oil industry for many years. I have offshore pensions as a result that concern neither the UK nor Thai tax authorities, and my savings and investments are mostly safely tucked away in offshore tax havens too. If the TRD does become aggressive when CRS is implemented then I have Plan B already worked out, so I'm not too worried.

21 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Should be safe from "double taxation" if your country has a tax treaty with Thailand (as the USA does) but who knows whether Thailand will honor that treaty or not.

If your pension comes from the US you have to pay US taxes on it.  Only income earned outside of the US would be protected from double taxation up to the limit.

7 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Another panic post of conjecture and speculation?

It's sad that everyone who has been her for even a little bit has read discussions on this topic and many failed to post and say it's absurd.  Truth takes a back seat to Thai bashing again.  

21 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

yes but claiming relief for double taxation takes a lot of time and energy to organize or money to hire several accountants in 2 countries.

Archived