A dry wet season - does catastrophe loom?

Bangkok Barry

9 minutes ago, Denim said:

Plenty of rain in Petchabun. Had a few mega storms already. My re dug drainage channel now meanders through my new rock garden. A microscopic Colorado river running through an equally microscopic grand canyon. Very absorbing, especially if high or pissed.

Really,? I ain't seen much at all, guess I missed it.

Big province though so who knows.

7 minutes ago, Denim said:

Plenty of rain in Petchabun. Had a few mega storms already. My re dug drainage channel now meanders through my new rock garden. A microscopic Colorado river running through an equally microscopic grand canyon. Very absorbing, especially if high or pissed.

Well, that Petchabun rain hasn't moved westwards towards Phichit or if it came from the west, passed right over us. There will be major problems later in the year if or when the large northern dams are not full.The Nan river outside my house is at a cool season low. Sirikit Dam is not releasing much water, just enough to keep the Chao Phraya happy.

8 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Rice uses loads of water, they can grow some special produce instead and save water....grow another product which needs less water and problem is solved.

It isn't. Every Thai eats rice every day. If there is none or it is very expensive, what then? And it is, or maybe was until the strength of the Baht priced it out of the market, a major major Thai export.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It isn't. Every Thai eats rice every day. If there is none or it is very expensive, what then? And it is, or maybe was until the strength of the Baht priced it out of the market, a major major Thai export.

I thought rice was traded in US Dollars ?

14 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I thought rice was traded in US Dollars ?

As with many things here, that would be outside Thailand's borders. The chief reason the rice pledging scheme wasn't viable.

World markets determine the price(s) for the world. Not Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Really,? I ain't seen much at all, guess I missed it.

Big province though so who knows.

Yep, this is in Wichien Buri , lower Petchabun. A few days ago there was a real deluge in the middle of the night. It was so loud it awoke me from my pleasant Lao Khao stupor , no mean feat. Wifey also awoke and commented that the dogs would be muddy in the morning after their early ablutions in the adjoining rice fields.

They were ..... but that is their raison d'etre , to make work for me and generally destroy the garden.

Fortunately, the boulders in my new rock garden are dog proof .... Perfect.

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yep, this is in Wichien Buri , lower Petchabun. A few days ago there was a real deluge in the middle of the night. It was so loud it awoke me from my pleasant Lao Khao stupor , no mean feat. Wifey also awoke and commented that the dogs would be muddy in the morning after their early ablutions in the adjoining rice fields.

They were ..... but that is their raison d'etre , to make work for me and generally destroy the garden.

Fortunately, the boulders in my new rock garden are dog proof .... Perfect.

Wichien = Great chicken !! ????

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

maybe was until the strength of the Baht priced it out of the market, a major major Thai export.

Just wondering where you get this idea from? Even here some 10,000 miles from Thailand you can buy large sacks of Thai jasmine rice very cheap. Rice could double in price and it would still be cheap. Ditto pasta. No-one likes price increases but these staples are so cheap already that a major price increase won't change a consumer's behaviour. The percentage of the cost of a meal that rice makes up is negligible. It's not like prime beef or steak doubled in price which would, by comparison, markedly increase the cost of a meal.

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

Just wondering where you get this idea from? Even here some 10,000 miles from Thailand you can buy large sacks of Thai jasmine rice very cheap. Rice could double in price and it would still be cheap. Ditto pasta. No-one likes price increases but these staples are so cheap already that a major price increase won't change a consumer's behaviour. The percentage of the cost of a meal that rice makes up is negligible. It's not like prime beef or steak doubled in price which would, by comparison, markedly increase the cost of a meal.

You raise good points. My statement was based on something I read a few weeks ago that reported Thai rice was nearly double the price of rice from, I think, India and Vietnam. I don't know where those countries export to, but Thai rice might, might, be better quality and would still sell to certain countries at what to those 'better off' countries would still be a low price. Other, poorer, countries might not see it the same way and would go for the cheapest available. But I'm no authority on this, just the feeling I get.

15 hours ago, Youlike said:

Rice uses loads of water, they can grow some special produce instead and save water....grow another product which needs less water and problem is solved.

"Problem solved"? they moved away from rice in many areas, the "government" subsidised the planting of sugar cane with no thought given on harvesting, apart from burning, so rather than solve a problem its created even more problems.

There are wet years and dry years, it's just normal weather. Every year is different. If I recall 2015 was the driest of all years. The government predicted a dry June and July this year and they were right. They also predicted later in the season the rains will be heavy. It's amazing how accurate their long term forecasts tend to be. They also predicted 2019 could be an extremely hot year, maybe even the hottest on record.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If there is none or it is very expensive, what then? 

revolution'

civil war

farang burned at the stake condos confiscated

Seriously what's with all the what if threads? I'm about to post one asking if my auntie grew balls would she be my uncle?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Well up here it has not rained for over a week, and the rain we had back then was after another week of no rain. the dry land rice is looking very sad. It will all die if no rain soon.