Thai transsexual prisoners being denied hormones, says activist

snoop1130

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

one could argue that because the suicide rate among transgenders is so high in this case the hormone is not only supporting the transition but also safeguarding the psychologic component and reducing suicide. i think the psychiatrists will largely agree with this view

No, even in the West where hormone treatment is available suicides of transgender people is way higher than in the general population, there would be a lack of acceptance in society as a cause for this probably or a general mental health problem which resulted him or her being a transgender in the first place.

exactly, it's high enough already even while freely obtaining hormones thus why do something that could very well make it higher?? seems your argument supports the point i made

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'll tell you. Our next agenda item is to require straight men to marry straight men. It's only fair. Gay men have been marrying straight women for many centuries already.

Sounds more like you're after revenge than equal rights. 

11 hours ago, soalbundy said:

experiments have shown that free will doesn't exist, life apparently happens but nobody is in control. The apparent 'me' can accept or fight for a different illusion, it all still remains an illusion.

You have watched the Matrix movie too many times - 55. 

Nothing wrong with believing in the Libet experiments that challenge the idea of conscious will, more power (on none) to you.  It is simply not a philosophy I believe in or has been proven to most scientific minds.  "It’s interesting to ponder why so many intellectuals are so intent (with their own free will) on proving that they have no free will."  

6 hours ago, AverageBloke said:

So if someone in prison were to have chronic depression would you put this under the heading of "life threatening" or would you just say tough luck your problem? 

Interesting you bring this up on Asalha Puja day.  Am not a Buddhist, but have read on it. 

The first Nobel Truth is Dukkha or suffering , "the nature of life that innately includes the "unpleasant", "suffering," "pain," "sorrow", "distress", "grief" or "misery"  

Melancholia has been recognized since ancient greece - Aristotle times.  True it is deemed Major Depressive disorder now, but not much has changed in those who suffer from it. 

Medications and psychotherapy can help it is said, so personally can not gauge if it is "life threatening" 

8 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Interesting you bring this up on Asalha Puja day.  Am not a Buddhist, but have read on it. 

The first Nobel Truth is Dukkha or suffering , "the nature of life that innately includes the "unpleasant", "suffering," "pain," "sorrow", "distress", "grief" or "misery"  

Melancholia has been recognized since ancient greece - Aristotle times.  True it is deemed Major Depressive disorder now, but not much has changed in those who suffer from it. 

Medications and psychotherapy can help it is said, so personally can not gauge if it is "life threatening" 

Major Depressive Disorder often leads to self harm and completed suicide, at what point does one draw a line on taking a chance on someone self harming ?

Medication of course is sometimes part of therapeutic intervention along (we hope) with skilled counselling

Archived