Denied entry on Visa Excempt

I entered Thailand at the end of January 2019 with just a Visa Excempt and got 30 days which I later extended for 30 more. I thought I wasn't going to stay longer than that but things change. So I didn't use my return ticket. Instead I went for two consecutive border runs, first to Cambodia and later to Malaysia. I extended both of them with no problems. My plan after this was to get an Ed visa and study Thai.

Being the procrastinator that I am, I found out that I need to apply at least 1 month in advance so I went to a Visa Travel Agency and enquired about getting a Tourist Visa. I was advised that there was no need for that. I just needed to fly back in to Thailand. So I went by bus to Malaysia and flew from KL to Krabi.

However, the IO didn't like what he saw in my passport. He asked me repeatedly why I didn't have a Tourist Visa and I explained that I never planned on staying this long. I was taken to a senior officer and the same thing happened there. I never explained that my intention was to get an ED visa because at the time I thought that it would lessen my chances of getting in. (I kind of regret that now)

Anyway, it seems that they weren't that interested in what I had to say and had made their minds up. I was told that I had to fly back to KL and I should go to the Thai Embassy and apply for a Tourist Visa. So now I'm back in KL after having paid 4000 baht for a return ticket. My passport was taken away from me and I signed a document which I quickly skimmed through. Pretty sure that I didn't incriminate myself but not sure. I think it just said that I understand that I'm not allowed back in.

I was accompanied by a friendly security guard all the way to the aircraft. When we reached KL, I was guided by AirAsia staff to the Malaysian Immigration where I finally got my passport back. That's when I saw the stamp they'd put in it and it certainly doesn't look good. I looked up the numbers within the brackets and I'm suspected of not having enough funds and working illegally. I was never asked about money or employment (which pisses me off). 

So I'm wondering; Is there even a point of applying for a Tourist Visa now? I'm trying to get all the documents I need in order but I'm starting to get worried that it won't make a difference. And even if I were to get a Tourist Visa, it seems that I could easily be denied anyway. If anyone could help, I would deeply appreciate it. I've got all my stuff, my luggage, my computer and motorbike and not least my girlfriend in Thailand. Am I blacklisted now? Is there anything I can do about this or am I <deleted> screwed? 

Edited by blackcab
One word removed

Thanks for the advice. You gave me hope! (elviajero that is, not so much you DrJack54) That's actually what I've been working on today. My girlfriend is awesome but she isn't exactly an expert on writing formal letters so I've had to help using Google translate????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Too late now to edit. I was skipping from one thread to another and mixed up.  So yes apologize for that. 

Good luck op.

Which was the other thread?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Current thread about person flying in from KL to swampy and held in detention.

Well I got that one cleared up.

I see we have another case to investigate here.

• Haha 2

As someone else advised, if you get a tourist visa and enter at most land crossings (avoid Poipet and Padang Besar) you should be fine. It is pretty obvious you have found a reason to want to stay. Krabi immigration suspect it is partly because you have a job. In many cases, it is actually because of a girlfriend. At any rate, if you really want to stay, you need to do some proper planning, and working on tourist visas, or a Non Ed visa where you do not really study, would be unwise.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, elviajero said:
8 hours ago, lkv said:

Nationality?

Not all nationalities can get visas anywhere they like.

Which nationalities that qualify for VE can’t get a SETV in Malaysia?

7 hours ago, lkv said:

I prefer the OP to answer rather than speculate.

You can answer my question without knowing the OP’s nationality. We know from the OP that he qualifies for VE, so I’m interested to know what nationality on the VE list would stop him getting a SETV in Malaysia.

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You can answer my question without knowing the OP’s nationality. We know from the OP that he qualifies for VE, so I’m interested to know what nationality on the VE list would stop him getting a SETV in Malaysia.

South Africa.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the advice. I'm a Swedish national for those who wonder. The Swedish Embassy only issue emergency passports in KL I'm afraid. I'd have to go to Singapore to get a new passport. It would be easier and cheaper to go back to Sweden. I will definitely apply for a new passport next time I'm there. If and when I get an ED Visa, I will definitely take it seriously and go to class every day.

Edited by edogthong
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, edogthong said:

Thanks for all the advice. I'm a Swedish national for those who wonder. The Swedish Embassy only issue emergency passports in KL I'm afraid. I'd have to go to Singapore to get a new passport. It would be easier and cheaper to go back to Sweden. I will definitely apply for a new passport next time I'm there. If and when I get an ED Visa, I will definitely take it seriously and go to class every day.

Are you sure you cannot get a passport issued here. I am sure they are issued at the embassy in Bangkok.

See: https://www.swedenabroad.se/sv/utlandsmyndigheter/thailand-bangkok/

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Looking at the stamp OP posted, it's neither filled out nor signed. Is that normal? I thought at least they should sign it...

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. For a minute I was kind of hoping that it would make the stam illegal...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, edogthong said:

Thanks for the advice. You gave me hope! (elviajero that is, not so much you DrJack54) That's actually what I've been working on today. My girlfriend is awesome but she isn't exactly an expert on writing formal letters so I've had to help using Google translate????

Is it a good idea to mention that you have a Thai GF ?

Some IO may think that you may use her in future to get a long term visa and some of therm dont seem to keen on foreigners hooking up with local ladies . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edogthong said:
1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Looking at the stamp OP posted, it's neither filled out nor signed. Is that normal? I thought at least they should sign it...

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. For a minute I was kind of hoping that it would make the stam illegal...

There is no legal requirement to stamp anything in the passport. They must issue a written notice confirming the reason for denying entry.

• Thanks 1