Aggressive Soi dog

Badrabbit

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone came skulking around my house in the early hours (3am!) they would get acquainted with my large dogs, and other measures I have for night stalkers.

It may be the best time for some to be prowling the streets, but for many of us that makes them a potential burglar.

Lol so driving out to a 7/11 in the early hours would be considered Skulking and prowling, oh my god Paranoia at it's very best!

Many Thai's are out at that time on there way to set up there stalls at markets, are they skulkers Prowlers and potential burglars. LMAO

If anyone came skulking around my house in the early hours (3am!) they would get acquainted with my large dogs, and other measures I have for night stalkers. It may be the best time for some to be prowling the streets, but for many of us that makes them a potential burglar.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The flashlight proposed by MeePeeMai seems like your best option IMO.

I got bit by a dog a year and a half ago on a morning bicycle ride , didn’t see him, he came up behind me from underneath a pickup and nipped my backside all because I encroached his territory. It was a small soi and I don’t go down there anymore.
I bought a tactical extending baton from the market and had it hanging from the bike but it’s heavy and swings about so it’s now in the car and bought a strong plastic one .
On two occasions I’ve “ snapped “ it out and the dog has scampered off without contact.

I looked at the time on the internet and only saw some anti dog barking devices that emit a high pitched sound and didn’t get good reviews but this flashlight looks promising.

Good luck with your quest

Cheers mate, I'll find something maybe give the flashlight thingy a try.

The flashlight proposed by MeePeeMai seems like your best option IMO.

I got bit by a dog a year and a half ago on a morning bicycle ride , didn’t see him, he came up behind me from underneath a pickup and nipped my backside all because I encroached his territory. It was a small soi and I don’t go down there anymore.
I bought a tactical extending baton from the market and had it hanging from the bike but it’s heavy and swings about so it’s now in the car and bought a strong plastic one .
On two occasions I’ve “ snapped “ it out and the dog has scampered off without contact.

I looked at the time on the internet and only saw some anti dog barking devices that emit a high pitched sound and didn’t get good reviews but this flashlight looks promising.

Good luck with your quest

^ Has it even occurred to anyone that the aggression towards humans is because of the way it has been treated by humans before? 

Has anyone tried to be kind? Or talk to it in a calm way? 

I've only observed agregression in dogs towards strange humans who were carrying a stick/Parang etc..

Cool come and talk to this dog, I'll watch from a distance!

^ Has it even occurred to anyone that the aggression towards humans is because of the way it has been treated by humans before? 

I've only observed agregression in dogs towards strange humans who were carrying a stick/Parang etc..

Lol so driving out to a 7/11 in the early hours would be considered Skulking and prowling, oh my god Paranoia at it's very best!
Many Thai's are out at that time on there way to set up there stalls at markets, are they skulkers Prowlers and potential burglars. LMAO

What have you done so far? sounds like 99% talking on here. Have you been to the Phuket City Hall or whoever it is who are responsible for soi dogs?

Done nothing as Dog has been missing these last couple of days(avoided very early went at 5am which seems a better time to go than 3am) I'll get myself a non lethal sound emitting device for when and if it returns, no one is bothered about Soi dogs so why should I bother other than look after no1, GF told our Police friend who thought it very funny, that's how much people care!

What have you done so far? sounds like 99% talking on here. Have you been to the Phuket City Hall or whoever it is who are responsible for soi dogs?

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Try getting too close to a female do in heat when the alpha males are around.  You will see that a dog that is normally not very aggressive will become VERY AGGRESSIVE.  Sometimes it has nothing to do with how the dog has been treated by humans.  If you try to talk to an aggressive dog in a soft and kind tone, you will be seen as weak by the dog and more vulnerable to being attacked or bitten.  Watch some Dog Whisperer videos and learn about dog behavior and how to act around them.

I'm thinking a Stun gun(not real one) that makes the same noise as the real kind, think you can get those in the bigger markets, the noise scares me so should work on a dog(hopefully) worth a try think they are fairly cheap.

Don't waste your time or your money.  I tried the best of those in Hawaii and not one of them worked.

Just now, Badrabbit said:

I'm thinking a Stun gun(not real one) that makes the same noise as the real kind, think you can get those in the bigger markets, the noise scares me so should work on a dog(hopefully) worth a try think they are fairly cheap.

Why take a chance with a fake?  Get a real one so if a dog is going to actually attack or bite you then you can send it running off howling ... and then it will probably never do it again (as long as you have the flashlight in your hand).

Try getting too close to a female do in heat when the alpha males are around.  You will see that a dog that is normally not very aggressive will become VERY AGGRESSIVE.  Sometimes it has nothing to do with how the dog has been treated by humans.  If you try to talk to an aggressive dog in a soft and kind tone, you will be seen as weak by the dog and more vulnerable to being attacked or bitten.  Watch some Dog Whisperer videos and learn about dog behavior and how to act around them.

Interesting you say that, i was bitten by a dog which was previously always passive. He was with a female, no idea if it was in heat, second thing was it was being fed by a homeless type. If i expected it to bite i could have avoided it, no barking or sign it was going to bite, just came round the back and bit my ankle

They are illegal to own so will give that a miss.

Why take a chance with a fake?  Get a real one so if a dog is going to actually attack or bite you then you can send it running off howling ... and then it will probably never do it again (as long as you have the flashlight in your hand).

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting you say that, i was bitten by a dog which was previously always passive. He was with a female, no idea if it was in heat, second thing was it was being fed by a homeless type. If i expected it to bite i could have avoided it, no barking or sign it was going to bite, just came round the back and bit my ankle

Yea look at the dog's tail.  If the tail is up in the air that means he is asserting his dominance and is capable of getting mean or aggressive.  Best never to turn your back on them but don't run or back up.  It's usually best to stand your ground and move or walk slowly in a case like that.  I don't like rabies shots so I don't want to get bit by any dogs.

If the dog's tail is down or straight out that pretty much means that the dog is passive and the tail is between the legs or on it's back showing it's belly that means it is being submissive.

Beware of any dog that has it's tail straight up in the air and is near you.  There are two very mean and aggressive dogs (not tied or fenced) that live at a restaurant near our home.  Everytime we ride our bicycles past there we always try to stay as far from them as possible but they always chase us and try to bite our legs.  This is usually early morning and the restaurant is closed.  All bikers that know better steer clear of that place. Their tails are always up and that is the main reason I bought the flashlight (was for those two).

7 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Yea look at the dog's tail.  If the tail is up in the air that means he is asserting his dominance and is capable of getting mean or aggressive.  Best never to turn your back on them but don't run or back up.  It's usually best to stand your ground and move or walk slowly in a case like that.  I don't like rabies shots so I don't want to get bit by any dogs.

If the dog's tail is down or straight out that pretty much means that the dog is passive and the tail is between the legs or on it's back showing it's belly that means it is being submissive.

Beware of any dog that has it's tail straight up in the air and is near you.  There are two very mean and aggressive dogs (not tied or fenced) that live at a restaurant near our home.  Everytime we ride our bicycles past there we always try to stay as far from them as possible but they always chase us and try to bite our legs.  This is usually early morning and the restaurant is closed.  All bikers that know better steer clear of that place. Their tails are always up and that is the main reason I bought the flashlight (was for those two).

Tail wag left anxious - Tail wag right relaxed.  

6 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

They are illegal to own so will give that a miss.

My wife asked her cousin who is a police officer and he said no problem.  Carrying a machete is illegal here too but I see people walking around with them all the time and it seems that most Thai's have one in their vehicle.  I prefer the flashlight to a machete as it looks harmless and does not draw attention like a big knife would.

As long as you are not robbing a 7-11 or using them as an offensive weapon against somebody then you should not have a problem and if I was questioned by a police officer about it I would just say that it's for the rabid dogs in my moo ban. He might take it away from me (because he wants it) but i'll take that chance.

Good advice.

My dad was very keen on anything related to dog training, he watched all the videos and bought all the books but he always told me “ never forget that lovable puppy can turn against you in the blink of an eye “ .

Here’s a short video showing that even the best dog handlers have an off day.

My take on this:

If Cesar Milan can get bitten while attempting to train a dog why should we take the risk in trying to become “ friends “ or feeding it ??

We can read a dogs behaviour somewhat but better to be prepared ( stick or taser etc ) than bitten.

I’ve had the course of rabies shots and don’t intend to go through that again, or pay for them !

This is the dog, looks harmless enough you say, when it comes at you in the early hours it's scary, I'll alter my habit of going this way in the early hours so as not to come into contact and risk

injury.

Its 18.30 and its warming up, barking at everything that moves, too many people for it to get aggressive and attack that comes later! 20190718_183121.jpeg.863308f9ed5d69368f3e145078899198.jpeg&key=e13b941bd843c218e5e122f9594fbbcf7aff6b18e2f58b308cc0c9dba9a7d58c20190718_183112.jpeg.d976a15aa981cdf3b89e62e0d85a0671.jpeg&key=536fe7a6bbc60943aade9c7a8a2532322fc316d3f862c3d14268cffdae20d165

Wow that is exactly how this dog comes at me with its teeth showing(obviously does it to others) what do all the forum experts say? want to make friends? come and try the offer is there!

Never ever allow that dog to be near children, it will always be unpredictable!

Good advice.

My dad was very keen on anything related to dog training, he watched all the videos and bought all the books but he always told me “ never forget that lovable puppy can turn against you in the blink of an eye “ .

Here’s a short video showing that even the best dog handlers have an off day.

[/url]

My take on this:

If Cesar Milan can get bitten while attempting to train a dog why should we take the risk in trying to become “ friends “ or feeding it ??

We can read a dogs behaviour somewhat but better to be prepared ( stick or taser etc ) than bitten.

I’ve had the course of rabies shots and don’t intend to go through that again, or pay for them !

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

This is the dog, looks harmless enough you say, when it comes at you in the early hours it's scary, I'll alter my habit of going this way in the early hours so as not to come into contact and risk

injury.

Its 18.30 and its warming up, barking at everything that moves, too many people for it to get aggressive and attack that comes later! 20190718_183121.jpeg.863308f9ed5d69368f3e145078899198.jpeg&key=e13b941bd843c218e5e122f9594fbbcf7aff6b18e2f58b308cc0c9dba9a7d58c20190718_183112.jpeg.d976a15aa981cdf3b89e62e0d85a0671.jpeg&key=536fe7a6bbc60943aade9c7a8a2532322fc316d3f862c3d14268cffdae20d165

Tell me where it is. I will go to see him and show you how wrong you are to not be able to control a dog.

Never ever it happened that any stray dog was a threat to me. But for sure I have balls and I show them before they even move.

Let's try ?

In Luangphocham road, runs down the side of wat Chalong, if coming from the opposite end(Chaofa east) go past the mini big C the dog is normally outside the first shop just round the right hand bend, after midnight when its quiet seems to be its active aggressive time, it's a chaser so no idea how it would be if you walked up to it, never tried and never want too.

Tell me where it is. I will go to see him and show you how wrong you are to not be able to control a dog.  

Never ever it happened that any stray dog was a threat to me. But for sure I have balls and I show them before they even move.

Let's try ?

10 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

In Luangphocham road, runs down the side of wat Chalong, if coming from the opposite end(Chaofa east) go past the mini big C the dog is normally outside the first shop just round the right hand bend, after midnight when its quiet seems to be its active aggressive time, it's a chaser so no idea how it would be if you walked up to it, never tried and never want too.

Hey can we get that on video?  

14 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I wasn't suggesting one acts submissive just have a calm tone. I also look them in the eye and point at them.

Can you come and demonstrate!! take a video(that would help others who are experiencing a similar problem) I do not go past this dog in the early morning anymore, I have no interest in trying to make friends the dog is vicious and I certainly do not want to get into a fight with it.

I wasn't suggesting one acts submissive just have a calm tone. I also look them in the eye and point at them.

Archived