Aggressive Soi dog

Badrabbit

Wow you experts are great, feel free to come and try to reason with it!!

Stopped? On a motor bike?
I don’t think you have a problem with this barker maybe you are showing fear? Sawatdii Kha muttered in a low voice usually works remember you are in the dogs environment and any rabid dog in the Street here is revered, has more rights than a foreigner.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jabis said:

Won't help in this regard - educating people, as well as spaying the bitches, getting local community on board, that's what works

in dream land TIT

Most Thais could not care less about animals there are 8 dogs near my place. All aggressive, dirty, hungry and fed very little then more and more babies as the Thais smile on.

43 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I'm in Udon and I have a number for the local animal control department. Takes about 90 minutes but eventually a man in a beat-up red pickup with Sakhon Nakhon plates appears and the dog(s) do the opposite.

What's the number?

57 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Maybe even the dogs know Sakhon Nakhon is famous for eating dogs

Maybe reading is a skill set of Bangkok mutts but AFAIK Isaan dogs can't read rego plates.

41 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

Stopped? On a motor bike?
I don’t think you have a problem with this barker maybe you are showing fear? Sawatdii Kha muttered in a low voice usually works remember you are in the dogs environment and any rabid dog in the Street here is revered, has more rights than a foreigner.

But hey, the dogs in Date's 'hood apparently can understand spoken Thai so what do I know?

1 hour ago, jabis said:

Won't help in this regard - educating people, as well as spaying the bitches, getting local community on board, that's what works

Better castrating the dogs they are the most aggressive,except where pups and food are in the mix.

1 hour ago, jabis said:

Meanwhile try some cheap sausages while crossing paths with this one, instead of hunting with a stick - you might eventually get along ^^

But what about all other people that would be attacked if they don't bribe the dog with sausages? Put it down, now!

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Mate, no sticks no sausages... just call the animal control department of in your local area and complain that this dog is a threat and a danger to you and your kids and they will take care of this mongrel quick smart..

- to probably dump it a mile up the road!

17 minutes ago, adammike said:

Better castrating the dogs they are the most aggressive,except where pups and food are in the mix.

Well, spay them bitches and clip what you can, but if you're seriously tackling the overpopulation, it's the female population producing litters that you need to concentrate on ???? 

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

But what about all other people that would be attacked if they don't bribe the dog with sausages? Put it down, now!

Good question if they've been attacked with sticks and stones before ???? Sure I concede at some point where there is just no "rehabilitation" at hand, but most soi-dogs I've seen with proper care and attention have made good strides towards "domesticated animals" - doesn't actually take much effort at all to socialize them dogs, but that's all but lacking here

30 minutes ago, adammike said:

The dog won't be happy, would you be if someone cut your nuts off?

Castrate a soi dog and the likelihood is that it'll chew your nuts off next time it sees you. I would.

Just making a bad situation a whole lot worse.

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Don't want to kill it, just want it to alter it's behavior.

Vinegar's already diluted, usually by 80%. Even undliluted, didn't find it very effective on Thai dogs. Switched to Mr. Muscle window cleaner (high ammonia percentage). Very effective deterring 90% of dogs, but small handful never get the message. Problem is owners don't like you spraying shit on their dogs. Dog gets sick or dies, you're gonna get blamed, maybe somebody decides to retaliate by running you off the road. Best advice for bicycle riding is carry ammonia spray, but only use it as last resort. Stop pedaling as cycling movement excites dog's hunting instinct. Dog usually quickly loses interest. Don't recommend trying to steer a motorcycle and spray dog at the same time - too much risk of losing control of bike. 

My advice to OP: (1) track down owner; (2) get neighbors in area on your side, (3) talk to police, (4) walk bike past dog (5) use food to distract/befriend dog.

Mate, no sticks no sausages... just call the animal control department of in your local area and complain that this dog is a threat and a danger to you and your kids and they will take care of this mongrel quick smart..
Good luck with that. For example Pattaya City Hall haven't removed a dog that bit me 4 months ago

36 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

I do not want to hurt it or worse kill it, getting it removed is the best option for it and the many many motorbike riders that come into contact with this nuisance!!

If it should get my leg then the game changes!!!

When we moved to our current home there were 12 soi dogs. Daytime no problem, night or early morning big problem. We called Soi Dog Foundation and the problem was completely eliminated over the next few weeks.

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

My advice to OP: (1) track down owner; (2) get neighbors in area on your side, (3) talk to police, (4) walk bike past dog (5) use food to distract/befriend dog.

1. Soi dogs rarely have an owner.

2. Good luck with Thai neighbours.

3. Always a good idea, a very sociable lot when you get to know them. Need to be proficient in Thai though. Don't expect them to help you with the dog though. I find that they're usually more frightened of dogs than you are and not in their job description.

4. Yes, it makes it easier for them to sink their teeth into your leg.

5. Ever heard of "biting the hand that feeds you"?

90% of dogs like this are all mouth and no action. Barking dogs are just telling the pack leader to do the rest of the work. If you run or cycle away from a dog like this, it will think it's winning and chase you. Confront it with your arms out wide (to look larger and confuse it where an attack may come from). Stand your ground, and maybe walk slowly towards the dog, but not too far. It will soon realise that you're not scared of it, and back down. I always do this with soi dogs when jogging or cycling. Bending down to grab a stone to throw at it will also help... as they know that a human bending down normally results in pain.

If you often go past it, it's worth the effort a few times for future rewards.

I do not want to hurt it or worse kill it, getting it removed is the best option for it and the many many motorbike riders that come into contact with this nuisance!!

Consider getting the rabies shots. It's more expensive after a bite, 4k baht for me.

It's a shame that the bad dogs give the good dogs a bad name. The one you describe is just stupidly guarding it's territory

2 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Something I tried and it did work: feed a dog a valium (the ol' stuffed meatball again), it'll not just sedate the dog, it'll change it's personality from then on, mellow them out.  This is why people who train attack dogs make it a high priority to train them to eat only from the owners.

Will work well but dog will be even worse when coming down from the Vallium. It'll just want more and more. Is it really a good idea to get all the soi dogs, in your area, addicted to Vallium?

11 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Problem is owners don't like you spraying shit on their dogs.

I  would guess if a Thai saw you harming a soi dog he'd claim it was his and demand a cash settlement, farang no good!

Try different approaches. 1) feed it see if it's attitude changes, if not 2) bring the stick or taser. 3) ask the authorities to remove it, could take ages if at all

You pull some stunt like giving a strychnine-laced Alpo burger to a dog, you better hope no CCTV cameras catch you in the act, or some yai isn't peeping through the upstairs window shutters, or somebody in the noodle shop across the street isn't shooting a selfie and accidently picks you up on audio calling 'here poochie, poochie, poochie' around the time the dog keeled over. 'Cuz from what I've seen, when Thais happen to catch someone committing an act of animal cruelty, they really throw the book at them. You're right up there with the Lindberg baby kidnapper in the heinous crimes department. I can only imagine if a foreigner was caught doing it. They'd probably hold a five day funeral for the dog, declare a national day of mourning, might even be calls for you to be given the death sentence.

25 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Try downloading this app. (itrainer) It doesn’t work on every dog and you have to fine tune the whistle. It might work for you.

See the attachment.

53672A4D-BECF-4E3C-AE00-BA58C3CE1CE9.png

A mobile phone speaker won't go above 12kHz.

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

The dog won't be happy, would you be if someone cut your nuts off?

Castrate a soi dog and the likelihood is that it'll chew your nuts off next time it sees you. I would.

Just making a bad situation a whole lot worse.

Yes, I bet a lot of you would be happier if someone cut your nuts off, you just don’t know it yet!!!   A lot of people around you would be happier too.  Dogs are happier and healthier for the most part when they are neutered.  They can’t go to hookers like you can!!!

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that chocolate is fatal to dogs.  Stuff a piece inside a meatball, throw it at the mutt, and report back.

Something I tried and it did work: feed a dog a valium (the ol' stuffed meatball again), it'll not just sedate the dog, it'll change it's personality from then on, mellow them out.  This is why people who train attack dogs make it a high priority to train them to eat only from the owners.

Sadly I think you would need a lot of chocolate in the meatball.... 

Archived