Thai media report "Irishman" on 4,000 day overstay - GoFundMe started to help him

webfact

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect we all no the risks of not following whatever rules are in place as we visit a country we are not born into.    So now you get to pay the price....   some people plan for a future some live by the seat of their pants.

He knew what could happen..... and he has had years to get to a point where he could a proper visa.   

Gofundme...... please, give me a break.

live and learn

On 7/16/2019 at 8:43 AM, cerox said:

Someone knows how to game the system. Maybe he thought no visa, no 90day, no tm30, no extension. I can easily stay here for 11 years ????

Wonder why he did not get bored not to go somewhere else, esp. to his home country, in all that time. Good luck.

what about when one has to check into a hotel? They all want to see the visa. did he stay at home since 2008. Id be bored shitless

On 7/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, RJRS1301 said:

And in addition pay for his transport to Suvarnabhumi, around 800 bath.

That is an expensive taxi ride out to swampy.never paid that much

You obviously have not met the taxi driver with his own personal price list that he was stiffing people with. 

On TVF the other week.

10 hours ago, davidst01 said:

what about when one has to check into a hotel? They all want to see the visa. did he stay at home since 2008. Id be bored shitless

Really ? Hotels in Thailand ask to see a valid visa at check in ?

35 minutes ago, taxin said:

Really ? Hotels in Thailand ask to see a valid visa at check in ?

They often wander into the back room to "photocopy your passport". It would be easy enough to check for a valid visa at the same time.

His story does check out.

Yes he was very silly but he lost both his parents last year. He continued looking after his family by the looks of it. It's a very odd story maybe there is more to it but on the face of it I hope he gets a lenient ban of just a year and Thailand shows some compassion for the sake of his family. Fingers crossed for the guy.

All you guys who think your Teflon I pray you don't find yourself in an awkward situ one day when life throws a wild card your way.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:03 AM, ezzra said:

Why are so many berks out here abusing the spirit of the go fund me fund that suppose to help people in real need? why is it that every screw up and a moron thinks that the public is there to bail them out the very shit they, knowingly, put themselves in?...

“Berk”. Damn that’s funny. I’ve not heard that term in a long time. Hahaha

3 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

Yes he was very silly but he lost both his parents last year. He continued looking after his family by the looks of it. It's a very odd story maybe there is more to it but on the face of it I hope he gets a lenient ban of just a year and Thailand shows some compassion for the sake of his family. Fingers crossed for the guy.

All you guys who think your Teflon I pray you don't find yourself in an awkward situ one day when life throws a wild card your way.

Compassion and brother empathy are totally mis placed here, his parents snuffing it last year is not an excuse or a sympathy card for this guy, here illegally for ten years before that. The only people who get in his situation are irresponsible and thoughtless idiots, nothing and nobody is to blame but himself, even mentioning his dead parents as some sort of mitigation is pretty disgraceful

On 7/16/2019 at 7:45 AM, webfact said:

A GoFundMe account has been started for Mr Birch by a friend 

How bout starting a gofundme for an extensive stay at the Bangkok Hilton.

Live by the sword die by the sword... 

No pity from me and especially no money. 

5 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

Give me a break. If the story was really about a wild card getting the guy in trouble through no real fault of his own, I would be inclined to send my well-wishes. But the fact of the matter is that the guy is on an 11 year overstay, which he could've easily cleared a few years back when immigration told people to get to a border and get their overstayd sorted out, without risk of blacklisting. He chose not to. He's got a wife and kids, so he could've gotten a multiple entry Non-O visa if he could've been bothered.

Empathy and sympathy are virtues, but sometimes they're simply not warranted.

Stop telling me this man did nothing wrong. He broke the law, a law that all of us living here legally are forced to comply with. And don't tell me he's the victim of a strict law--he's the CAUSE of strict laws, which increase and become stricter every time someone like him does what he does. And don't tell me that what he does is his own choice, that it doesn't affect all expats in Thailand. Because of people like him, Thai immigration cracks down harder on everyone here. You feel sorry for people like Graham and Kev who don't buy health insurance and then fall ill and become youtube beggars to pay for their treatments? Because of irresponsible people like them, all expat retirees have to buy health insurance now. Thanks, <deleted>. If you can't afford to live here, please go home.

18 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

Stop telling me this man did nothing wrong. He broke the law, a law that all of us living here legally are forced to comply with. And don't tell me he's the victim of a strict law--he's the CAUSE of strict laws, which increase and become stricter every time someone like him does what he does. And don't tell me that what he does is his own choice, that it doesn't affect all expats in Thailand. Because of people like him, Thai immigration cracks down harder on everyone here. You feel sorry for people like Graham and Kev who don't buy health insurance and then fall ill and become youtube beggars to pay for their treatments? Because of irresponsible people like them, all expat retirees have to buy health insurance now. Thanks, <deleted>. If you can't afford to live here, please go home.

What a crock of ****

Well done for delusional post of the day

3 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

It was once possible to pay a 20,000 baht fine, upon departure, at the airport. Is that still the case?

Yes, you still have to pay the fine, which varies depending on how long your overstay is. However, you will also get blacklisted if you've overstayed long enough.

3 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

It was once possible to pay a 20,000 baht fine, upon departure, at the airport. Is that still the case?

Yes, it is. But that doesn't help you to get blacklisted. It doesn't change the fact that you've overstayed for so long. 

If you have a valid plane ticket and pay your fine, they'll let you on the plane. 

Sometimes I laugh at these things but it becomes less funny when there are children involved. They would have to be pretty big by now and this will be a bit stressful for them to live without their father for the next 10 years after he gets blacklisted or not at all if it is permanent. I am sure he cannot take his wife back without holding a job but he should be able to take their children with if they have British passports. Either way the family is going to get split. 

Ja I know about should have and could have blah blah blah.... still a bit sad.

3 hours ago, aqua4 said:

Sometimes I laugh at these things but it becomes less funny when there are children involved. They would have to be pretty big by now and this will be a bit stressful for them to live without their father for the next 10 years after he gets blacklisted or not at all if it is permanent. I am sure he cannot take his wife back without holding a job but he should be able to take their children with if they have British passports. Either way the family is going to get split. 

Ja I know about should have and could have blah blah blah.... still a bit sad.

He can't take his children back to his country of origin.

He'd need a well-paid job to do so, and if his wife doesn't want it, there's no way for him to do so.

I've been here longer than this "gentleman" and always obeyed the laws of this country.

It just shows what a small-minded guy he is, would he think about his family he'd have done something when the Thai government/Immigration offered all foreigners to pay for their overstay, without any problems.

He could have gone to Savannakhet/Laos and apply for a Non-O Me visa which he'd have gotten without a problem.

So why did he neither clear his overstay, nor do anything that would have kept him legal here?

I'm afraid that this guy didn't give a flying kangaroo fart about anything, he just couldn't be bothered with stuff where we all have to go through.

Unfortunately, he's the part of the people who's fault it is that laws are regularly changed in a very negative way affecting all of us.

If he didn't get the whole picture, how could he have been a good father to his kids?

I mean wouldn't you do all to be with them, instead of always being afraid that one day you'll get caught and deported?

He's old enough to understand that, but he's acting like he wouldn't know it?

Just look at his posing at the Immigration when they shot this photo. IMO, it says it all; it's just a douchebag who shouldn't have kids in the first place.

It's easy to understand his parents, who sadly passed away last year, were sending him money for many years. Why did he not clear his overstay and continued to fly under the radar?

Perhaps he needed the money to pay for alcohol or drugs? If that would be true, he doesn't deserve it to have kids. If an adult behaves like he did, he's fully aware of his wrongdoing and he must face the consequences now. 

A man with such little self-esteem is a born loser in my book, and he should stay in his country of origin and fool others.  

Finally, he really deserves the pig head, because that's what he is. 

Irishman.jpg

Just now, Isaanbiker said:

He'd need a well-paid job to do so, and if his wife doesn't want it, there's no way for him to do so.

I've been here longer than this "gentleman" and always obeyed the laws of this country.

It just shows what a small-minded guy he is, would he think about his family he'd have done something when the Thai government/Immigration offered all foreigners to pay for their overstay, without any problems.

He could have gone to Savannakhet/Laos and apply for a Non-O Me visa which he'd have gotten without a problem.

So why did he neither clear his overstay, nor do anything that would have kept him legal here?

I'm afraid that this guy didn't give a flying kangaroo fart about anything, he just couldn't be bothered with stuff where we all have to go through.

Unfortunately, he's the part of the people who's fault it is that laws are regularly changed in a very negative way affecting all of us.

If he didn't get the whole picture, how could he have been a good father to his kids?

I mean wouldn't you do all to be with them, instead of always being afraid that one day you'll get caught and deported?

Just look at his posing at the Immigration when they shot this photo. IMO, it says it all; it's just a douchebag who shouldn't have kids in the first place.

It's easy to understand his parents, who sadly passed away last year, were sending him money for many years. Why did he not clear his overstay and continued to fly under the radar?

Perhaps he needed the money to pay for alcohol or drugs? If that would be true, he doesn't deserve it to have kids. If an adult behaves like he did, he's fully aware of his wrongdoing and he must face the consequences now. 

A man with such little self-esteem is a born loser in my book, and he should stay in his country of origin and fool others.  

Irishman.jpg

I hear you and a lot of what you say is correct but spare a thought for what we do not know about this guy. All we know is what we read. Could have been a variety of reasons that prompted this overstay. His wife could have been I'll, his kids, you just do not know. Guy looks like he's carrying a lot of baggage so I think there is much more to this guys story.

thats a sad case. overstay, yeah, its illegal but for the rest. he was a family man overstaying. has kids. seems like an average nice guy. now his family is torn apart, kids that wont see their father anymore. tragedy. i wish him well with everything and his gofundme page, no doubt to buy a ticket.

4 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

I hear you and a lot of what you say is correct but spare a thought for what we do not know about this guy. All we know is what we read. Could have been a variety of reasons that prompted this overstay. His wife could have been I'll, his kids, you just do not know. Guy looks like he's carrying a lot of baggage so I think there is much more to this guys story.

You know it would be interesting if TV found one of these massive overstayers with a family and actually interviewed them. It would be interesting how they lived, why they did it and what they think forward looks like. Hear the human side of the mess and not just what immigration says. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, Myran said:

Give me a break. If the story was really about a wild card getting the guy in trouble through no real fault of his own, I would be inclined to send my well-wishes. But the fact of the matter is that the guy is on an 11 year overstay, which he could've easily cleared a few years back when immigration told people to get to a border and get their overstayd sorted out, without risk of blacklisting. He chose not to. He's got a wife and kids, so he could've gotten a multiple entry Non-O visa if he could've been bothered.

Empathy and sympathy are virtues, but sometimes they're simply not warranted.

Please tell me what were his options once he went onto overstay?

Bonds with family are hard to break away from & there are no positive outcomes if you give yourself up to the authorities.

You go straight to jail with no goodbyes or possessions.

Most civilised countries give you a court date which you can prepare for and get your affairs in order.

Straight to the hellish IDC here (see pic) where it can take a few weeks for the Embassy to even show up.

A lot of people don't even go to jail for murder here, so the consequences are severe for a small misdemeanour.

People thinking that immigration laws are based on these indiscretions are seriously deluded.

They have only changed in the last 5 years and that coincides with the coup.

Good guys in bad guys out!! Don't make me laugh!

There are still thousands of proper foreign criminals living here 'legitimately' using corruption as their vehicle to stay.

This bloke doesn't seem to be a criminal and looks like he was just keeping his head down looking after his family.

He doesn't need to have worked illegally to have live here.

He probably had income from overseas like a lot who live here on a semi; permanent basis

I'm sure all the naysayers full agree with a lot of the other medieval laws in this country too!!

AS82312a.jpg

9 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Irishman.jpg

Never broke a law??? Give me a break????

On 7/16/2019 at 9:38 AM, ChipButty said:

We have to admit when he decided to go under the radar all them years ago it was a lot easier and maybe he thought if he did get caught just pay the 20k on the way out not thinking that the rules would change along the way like they have, by that time he was in to deep then what would be his options?

Prior to March 2016 the rules were very slight unless someone was caught in-country. Visa checks were much less likely then, and the main risk would have been getting in trouble with the police on an unrelated matter and having to produce your passport. Before the rule change an amnesty was announced, and that's the time he should have taken care of business. But it is kind of absurd that the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour depends on something as arbitrary as an official change in policy. 

Just another Gofundme beggar who wants others to pay the price for his irresponsible behavior. Anyone can be described as a good person....if only that wee problem of occasional criminal behavior is ignored. Who's going to cry you a sob story next?  

Archived