Thai media report "Irishman" on 4,000 day overstay - GoFundMe started to help him

webfact

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I feel sorry for the kids, they will not be seeing papa for at least the next ten years, or will it be a for life blacklist?

Yes, and that fits well with:

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that he was not a demon and was a good father who was just trying to help his family.

My view of things is that he failed miserably.

One might believe that he have no money, no income and do not know what to do at all in Ireland, so that means he is a giant fool that didn´t have any thought about his children or wife. Just another one that wanted to stay on borrowed time.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Would it be a problem to meet in say Malaysia and fly from there?

If the kids have the correct doc's and the mother agrees to take them, Thai immigration are right on to kids leaving the country human trafficking and all that stuff 

Also depends if they were legally married because there lies another problem

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, you cannot get a UK Birth certificate, if you were born in Thailand 

If they were born to a British father they can get as I understand you need to get a British passport my friends kids have a British BC

Can't you just feel the compassion flowing from the pages of the Thai visa forum, most of you wouldn't go amiss in medieval Britain, France or Germany for that matter, burn him at the stake, jam a white hot poker up his jacksy, hang,draw & quarter the evil over-stayer.

Really, you lot are sometimes so banal it's unreal. He hasn't hurt you or me or any other stranger for that matter. he has let his wife and kids here down very badly, I'm actually quite in awe as how he got away with an 11 & 1/2 years overstay.

Someone started the Gofundme page for him, not him, it will be interesting to hear what he has to say for himself when we get the update that was mentioned in the OP, how he managed to provide for his family etc, after all he was nicked in a restaurant having a meal so he could afford to eat out !! 

I don't care whether he has been working without a permit or visa or anything, in the pic of him shown later than the OP he don't look as though he has been scrimping and scraping to get by, he looks well fed and healthy.

I really just wish some of you keyboard warriors would give your hollow posts a big rest. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

I guess those the British embassy issued to my kids are fakes then ????

They gave you a certificate to state that your children were born in the UK , when they were actually born in Thailand ?

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Thanks very much, dont they need to apply for passport?

They have UK passports.  I had their births registered at the embassy here, but it's not essential inorder to get UK passport.  But, UK father's name needs to be on thai birth certificates.  I'm not 100% on that bit though, as I got UK birth certificates issued.

For most of the last 11 years nobody cared about overstays so long as you paid the fine on the way out.

That's what he would have faced when he moved to Thailand.

They changed the law relatively recently. He should have acted then but he didn't, hardly the crime of the century.

I love his hat though I would have expected a green leprachaun.????

I don't agree with funding him. If he was/is too stupid why to grant him donations?? 

Respecting law is even taught in Ireland. If not face the consequences. ????

8 hours ago, reefsurfah said:

Lazy or stupid, or both?  No wonder Thai IO and authorities are cracking down.  Bad apples.  Needs to own up to this instead of starting a gofundme.

I suppose so, yes. But what harm was he doing? None that we know of. Perhaps if the authorities stopped treating expats who are supporting a Thai family as potential criminals and making them jump through pointless and time-wasting hoops, instead leaving them in peace, then we wouldn't get nonsense cases like this. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

No they entered their births on the registry at the embassy.

But we are talking about Birth certificates , rather than registering at an embassy .

Two different things , (and they no longer accept child  registrations at UK embassy's) 

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I suppose so, yes. But what harm was he doing? None that we know of. Perhaps if the authorities stopped treating expats who are supporting a Thai family as potential criminals and making them jump through pointless and time-wasting hoops, instead leaving them in peace, then we wouldn't get nonsense cases like this. 

No country allows people without the correct visa or application or appeals in process to stay, whether they have a family in that country or not.

At the very least they are generally detained in immigration detention centres until their appeal  processes are finalised.

17 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

If the kids have the correct doc's and the mother agrees to take them, Thai immigration are right on to kids leaving the country human trafficking and all that stuff 

Also depends if they were legally married because there lies another problem

True about legally married, maybe did it in the first year?

If so then, lot's more ifs. If he is registered as the father, if the births were registered at the embassy, if his wife can get a visa.

Probably more??

5 hours ago, Xonax said:

The only expense he will have, is the 20,000 Baht fine for overstay, before being deported.

No, its not. The 20.000 bath fine is now off the table. He will get a new fine set by a judge, probably 6.000 bath for not having a valid passport, combined with the overstay. He will get no additional overstay fine.

He must also get an emergency passport, pay for his own ticket, and in addition pay for his transport to Suvarnabhumi, around 800 bath.

Been there, done that.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why would his children have British passports?

The OP says he is Irish, yet it also states he is from Somerset, which cannot be correct.

Why could his children not have British passports ? It's possible their father held a British passport and quite possible there are irish/ british  people in Somerset also 

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

No country allows people without the correct visa or application or appeals in process to stay, whether they have a family in that country or not.

At the very least they are generally detained in immigration detention centres until their appeal  processes are finalised.

You miss the point. I'm not aware of any other country that requires long-term residents, or people like me that have been married to a Thai for nearly 30 years, to get out of the country every 90 days or report themselves to immigration and ask, yet again, for permission to stay a few weeks more to support their family. It's like being on life-long probation.

Many agree, as this site shows, but perhaps you find all the ever-changing, sometimes applied and sometimes not rules to your liking. If so, I'm happy for you, but I'm sure you are in a minority. Many countries are delighted to receive foreigners that in turn support the economy, even offering long-term rather than short-term visas with the minimum of fuss or hassles, but for some reason Thailand is paranoid about non-Thais.

So it isn't really that surprising that some find it all too much and cannot cope. You have to be pretty strong sometimes to go through it all, and some are not as strong as others.

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

True about legally married, maybe did it in the first year?

If so then, lot's more ifs. If he is registered as the father, if the births were registered at the embassy, if his wife can get a visa.

Probably more??

I dont think the embassy would be sympathetic to the cause

30 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Can't you just feel the compassion flowing from the pages of the Thai visa forum, most of you wouldn't go amiss in medieval Britain, France or Germany for that matter, burn him at the stake, jam a white hot poker up his jacksy, hang,draw & quarter the evil over-stayer.

Really, you lot are sometimes so banal it's unreal. He hasn't hurt you or me or any other stranger for that matter. he has let his wife and kids here down very badly, I'm actually quite in awe as how he got away with an 11 & 1/2 years overstay.

Someone started the Gofundme page for him, not him, it will be interesting to hear what he has to say for himself when we get the update that was mentioned in the OP, how he managed to provide for his family etc, after all he was nicked in a restaurant having a meal so he could afford to eat out !! 

I don't care whether he has been working without a permit or visa or anything, in the pic of him shown later than the OP he don't look as though he has been scrimping and scraping to get by, he looks well fed and healthy.

I really just wish some of you keyboard warriors would give your hollow posts a big rest. 

Cry me a river. Thousands of expat parents jump through the hoops in order to follow the law in the country they are guests in, and this guy does not get a free pass, no matter how good of a guy you or he considers him to be.

If he's as healthy and well off as you're getting the impression of, there's not reason he couldn't have stayed legally, especially considering the long period of amnesty that was offered by the authorities a while back.

And yes, people breaking the law does in fact make it harder for the rest of us, as people breaking the law is what causes the enforcement of laws to get stricter.

But good job patting yourself on the back, I hope you feel superior to the rest of us, who have the audacity to call out what we think is immoral.

Archived