Thai media report "Irishman" on 4,000 day overstay - GoFundMe started to help him

webfact

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I really just wish some of you keyboard warriors would give your hollow posts a big rest. 

I just wish people supporting law breakers, and those gaming the system, would give it a rest. :coffee1:

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why are so many berks out here abusing the spirit of the go fund me fund that suppose to help people in real need? why is it that every screw up and a moron thinks that the public is there to bail them out the very shit they, knowingly, put themselves in?...

if you don't want to donate money, then don't, you aren't being forced to do it.... 

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not aware of any other country that requires long-term residents, or people like me that have been married to a Thai for nearly 30 years, to get out of the country every 90 days or report themselves to immigration and ask, yet again, for permission to stay a few weeks more to support their family. It's like being on life-long probation.

Most countries will allow a person to become a citizen well before 30 years. Also Thailand allows that. Why are you not a citizen or at least a permanent resident if you life and family is here?

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Would it be a problem to meet in say Malaysia and fly from there?

The problem is probably not specific to any certain country. I am pretty sure it is regarding the finances. A person that has everything in order in home, does not do stupid things like this. I would guess he is blacklisted after this, he need GoFundMe to pay fine and airfare. How is he going to come back or produce any economy that let´s him bring his wife to Ireland? I am pretty sure that the childs mother is not going to let him bring the children there without her present.

49 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Can't you just feel the compassion flowing from the pages of the Thai visa forum

Compassion for a person that overstayed over 11 years? Compassion for a person that marry and makes two children that he deliberately puts in problem? Compassion for a man that blames the death of his mother and father one yoer ago on 11 years of overstay?

I could go on, but I do think you got the point already. there is not need for any call about medieval times or any other hypocricy. The only thing that was needed from this man was common sense, in which he failed to produce miserably.

8 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Most countries will allow a person to become a citizen well before 30 years. Also Thailand allows that. Why are you not a citizen or at least a permanent resident if you life and family is here?

A few reasons why it's not so easy.

3 years working on extensions without a break. Change jobs, you start again from 1st day of new job.

200,000 baht to apply, non-refundale, takes a long time, couple of years maybe to get approved, don't get approved lose 200,000 baht.

Only 100 per nationality per year.

Very short time window to apply, miss a bit of paperwork in that window, wait another year, pay another 200,000 baht. etc etc.

9 hours ago, BobBKK said:

"treated very well by the Thai authorities"  yet they put a pig's head on him?  The Irish will love that!

Maybe they thought Irish usually look like this after a few beer or half a bottle of scotch ????????????????

Sorry no offense, just a bad joke.

I wish this guy on whom a family depends, comes out of it well.

33 minutes ago, Myran said:

Thousands of expat parents jump through the hoops in order to follow the law

Yes, that's the problem. That they are made to for no real reason. Imagine how much easier life would be for everyone if they just issued a 10-year visa for those married to a Thai, with no nonsense like having to constantly report to immigration or leave the country for no reason at all each 90 days. Alice In Wonderland stuff, I know.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes, that's the problem. That they are made to for no real reason. Imagine how much easier life would be for everyone if they just issued a 10-year visa for those married to a Thai, with no nonsense like having to constantly report to immigration or leave the country for no reason at all each 90 days. Alice In Wonderland stuff, I know.

Preaching to the choir. But until that's the case, there are rules and laws to follow if you don't want to land yourself in trouble. If you don't want to follow those rules, fair game, but don't come complaining once it bites you in the... rear.

29 minutes ago, owenm said:

Is he Irish or from Somerset? I was under the assumption that Somerset is in England, UK ????????.. 

Loads of people of Irish decent living in England.  Born in England, but call themselves Irish & talk with an Irish accent.  Surprised this comes as a surprise to so many people.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

But we are talking about Birth certificates , rather than registering at an embassy .

Two different things , (and they no longer accept child  registrations at UK embassy's) 

It's a register of a British birth.  Go have an argument with your shadow.   

I don’t like the immigration rules but if you want to stay in Thailand then you have to jump through the hoops like everyone else. Ridiculous rules and they don’t understand this is one of the problems with their reduced tourism. 

10 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I wonder how he made money to support and "help his family" since 2008? 

He did not leave Thailand during that time according to his passport stamp.

Perhaps the wife worked !!

2 minutes ago, Almer said:

I wonder how he made money to support and "help his family" since 2008? 

He did not leave Thailand during that time according to his passport stamp.

Who knows? Perhaps they had a business venture, I am sure the IOs know by now

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not aware of any other country that requires long-term residents, or people like me that have been married to a Thai for nearly 30 years, to get out of the country every 90 days or report themselves to immigration and ask, yet again, for permission to stay a few weeks more to support their family. It's like being on life-long probation.

And yet you stay, and live up to all the rules and regulations that are expected from you, right?

That was the only thing this guy had to think about and do too.

Enjoy your "probation" ????????

53 minutes ago, overherebc said:

A few reasons why it's not so easy.

3 years working on extensions without a break. Change jobs, you start again from 1st day of new job.

200,000 baht to apply, non-refundale, takes a long time, couple of years maybe to get approved, don't get approved lose 200,000 baht.

Only 100 per nationality per year.

Very short time window to apply, miss a bit of paperwork in that window, wait another year, pay another 200,000 baht. etc etc.

Not true. It is not all that difficult. You can change jobs, but there should be no break in your work permit. The fee for citizenship is Baht 5,000. There is no window. You can apply at any time.

What you are referring to is permanent residence (PR), not citizenship.  Now if you are not married to a Thai, then you will first have to apply for PR and the fee for that is @ Baht 190,000. However, you pay a very small amount of that upon application, and only pay the remainder when granted PR (I forget the exact figure as I did not bother with PR, I applied directly for citizenship). 

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

He chose the wrong restaurant, probably a drugs raid and he was caught without a visa.

He told me he was in a restaurant in sight of his house. He knew the game was up and effectively gave himself up.

Rooster

Archived