Thai media report "Irishman" on 4,000 day overstay - GoFundMe started to help him

webfact

44 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd leave in a heartbeat if I didn't have family here, to where I wouldn't be on probation to anyone. As it is, I'm a prisoner in Thailand. When I came here, over 25 years ago, it was a good place to live, but repeated over-reaction to a few who break the rules has made it a very different country.

I hope there is something good anyway, like the ones you stay here for sounds like the ones you live for. I do understand you, though. I have around 23 years here too, and had plenty of time to see the changes. Maybe, I am just a different kind of breed, because I do not think about them so much. Also have wife and 2 children.

Wish you well, and there are still beautiful times here. You just have to look a little bit harder than for 25 years ago. ???? 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, madmen said:

Everyone has an excuse. if I didn't have ...cats , dogs, a lady boy , a wife , a GF ...  I would be gone

Yours is easy just take them to a better life in first world its a win win but I'm guessing your wife prefers Isaan to new york, london, sydney paris... ????

Having a family and children could hardly be translated to an excuse. If you came to a country long time ago, and it have been changing as much as Thailand have during 20 years. hell, yeah! Then it´s easy to say that you would be gone if you didn´t created the life you have here and planted such deep roots. You have probably not come to that stage yet, and are just talking out of your hat. I am definately mot complaining, but things have change and it´s not to the better.

Just taking a thai wife with children somewhere is a little bit harder than you like to make it, and it still seems like you live in a soft isolated fake reality that you built up around you. As you know the culture in Thailand is much more into family than in the western world. Here the children work and live to support their parents. Not like in the west, where silly boys go to mama and papa and ask them to start a company for them.

It´s definitely not that she would prefer Isaan better than New York, London, Sidney, Paris or even Stockholm as well as Barcelona. The things is just that they have a much harder decision when it comes to leaving the country, than we have in the western world.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

is from Taunton in Somerset 

Never knew that Taunton in Somerset...was part of Ireland?

"He said that things had gone off the rails when both his parents died this year."

And what about the 10 years before that?

27 minutes ago, Britannia said:

This site is infiltrated with I am greater than thee posters always has been in the 20 years I have been here. If a Thai lady gets in to trouble in the UK, a few phone calls to other Thai ladies will get her out and back home. A farang gets in to a problem and all his fellow Farang cannot wait to hang him. God bless you all, You need it.

You clearly missed one thing. There is a big difference in getting into problem, and deliberately putting yourself in the crosshair.

32 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Yes.

Just a personal thing with me.

It's very possible I will be heading back to UK within the next year. Buy a small place there and my wife will most likely start on 6/6 months as I will do UK/Thailand. It's been a kind of long term plan.

Still have to get it straight on the conditions for her to get a settlement visa, will start looking into that very soon.

Might even think about NW France, no firm decisions, that's why I never saw any benefit of PR or citizenship here.

For those who have managed to get citizenship I wonder how they would react to the UK gov' telling them they are no longer entitled to pension rights, public or private because they decided to be come a citizen of wherever?

Edit.

What if the embassy decided, you are now Thai so your kids cannot get a BC or UK passport?

You have to go back to the laws by 2008. Overstaying was only a decent fine to pay, leaving the country. Living with this many years, you have to decide if go and pay or just stay on and the debt rises.

Then suddenly the law changes (happens in Thailand) and the overstaying is a lot more serious then before. Actually the guy is paying the price for todays laws, committing the "crime" under the old system. 

Thats why we all have to stay tuned with the Thai law system.

PS. A Visa amnesty for overstayers, while introducing the new harsher law, would have been good for all parties. 

3 minutes ago, Call said:

You have to go back to the laws by 2008. Overstaying was only a decent fine to pay, leaving the country. Living with this many years, you have to decide if go and pay or just stay on and the debt rises.

Then suddenly the law changes (happens in Thailand) and the overstaying is a lot more serious then before. Actually the guy is paying the price for todays laws, committing the "crime" under the old system. 

Thats why we all have to stay tuned with the Thai law system.

Rubbish, there was no sudden change.

They had a big campaign where they announced the change months in advance and told everyone to go clear their overstay before that date (which, again, was months into the future), so that they could return without any risk of blacklisting.

28 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Even if he can get them a UK passport the UK will never allow him to bring his Thai wife with him unless he's earning a serious amount of money, thanks to the May bot back in 2012, forget human rights for families, you only get them if you're rich...

just like Thailand then

2 minutes ago, Ajarnbrian said:

For worthy causes to help fund, this must be of the lowest priority. So many people make the effort to get suitable visas and avoid overstaying but this guys decides he can break the rules and then expect help. Deport him!

Where did it say he expected help?

From what I read he accepted what he had done 

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

A few reasons why it's not so easy.

3 years working on extensions without a break. Change jobs, you start again from 1st day of new job.

200,000 baht to apply, non-refundale, takes a long time, couple of years maybe to get approved, don't get approved lose 200,000 baht.

Only 100 per nationality per year.

Very short time window to apply, miss a bit of paperwork in that window, wait another year, pay another 200,000 baht. etc etc.

To those who posted thanks I have to admit I wasn't totally correct as has been explained to me.

Sorry if I posted a bum steer.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

To those who posted thanks I have to admit I wasn't totally correct as has been explained to me.

Sorry if I posted a bum steer.

No prob's overherebc.

This poor chap's situation (or similar) could happen to anyone. I would like to help him but I'm skint for the mo'. How did they know when to go get him? Maybe this is 'shop the farang' in practice!

26 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It's very possible I will be heading back to UK within the next year. Buy a small place there and my wife will most likely start on 6/6 months as I will do UK/Thailand. It's been a kind of long term plan.

Still have to get it straight on the conditions for her to get a settlement visa, will start looking into that very soon.

Might even think about NW France, no firm decisions, that's why I never saw any benefit of PR or citizenship here.

For those who have managed to get citizenship I wonder how they would react to the UK gov' telling them they are no longer entitled to pension rights, public or private because they decided to be come a citizen of wherever?

Edit.

What if the embassy decided, you are now Thai so your kids cannot get a BC or UK passport?

No skin off my nose. I am not entitled to a pension from the UK anyway. My son got his UK passport about 28 years ago and has only been to the UK once. As to myself, I will live out my days here anyway. 

When countries start changing their citizenship laws so that dual citizenship is not allowed, they are not usually applied retroactively. Unlikely to happen with the UK during my lifetime. 

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

This poor chap's situation (or similar) could happen to anyone.

Ummm, no, it couldn't, unless that person do has decided the law of the land doesn't apply to him or her.

3 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

Maybe they thought Irish usually look like this after a few beer or half a bottle of scotch ????????????????

Sorry no offense, just a bad joke.

I wish this guy on whom a family depends, comes out of it well.

Have you ever thought about that he could have been a burden for the whole Thai family after his parents passed away.

It's pretty obvious that this was the time when he experienced huge problems. No more "mom and dad, please help me in Thailand."

It would be great to know why they all in a sudden checked on him. Was it a random check, or was it because family, or friends gave them the needed information?

16 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Ummm, no, it couldn't, unless that person do has decided the law of the land doesn't apply to him or her.

Not the same thing, but imagine if you were suddenly jerked out of somewhere and accused of something. And waggoned off to the detention centre.

"But I've done nothing wrong officer!"

"We have pics farang."

"What pics might they be officer?" You say confidently.

"A concerned Thai subject passed them to us."

"Washing your wife's pick up. Not for the first time." You laugh.

"Where is your work permit?"

"Take the farang away. Get the board ready lads; and inform the press. Oh, and that pic of a buffalo head in the basements,,,,.?

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Given you're his mate, or at least know him, what's his excuse for being such a <deleted> and overstaying so long?

I wrote the OP. I am the reporter and not his mate. 

I asked him repeatedly to explain why he had overstayed so long. He couldn't really tell me and hid behind "the truth will come out one day" sort of nonsense. He has clearly been up to a lot of mischief and got himself in some right mess but I don't think there is much mileage or even interest in the "Life Story of Sam Birch".

Rooster.

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

C) did he go to “go fund me” or did someone else?

Great question. I hope he didn't and I think I read someone else did, but either way what a sad commentary on taking from those who are really in need.

32 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

No prob's overherebc.

This poor chap's situation (or similar) could happen to anyone. I would like to help him but I'm skint for the mo'. How did they know when to go get him? Maybe this is 'shop the farang' in practice!

Well, he's got himself in the doo-doo and with the best will in the world it's down to him.

Anyone could speculate on why. 

He thought it would never be problem.

Now don't slate me for this one but here goes.

He knew it would happen, got ready for it and will end up in UK with no worries about who he leaves behind.

As someone said

These are my ideas and if you don't like them, I have others.

????

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Edit.

Dual citizenship (also known as dual nationality) is allowed in the UK. This means you can be a British citizen and also a citizen of other countries. ... Many countriesdo not accept dual citizenship. Check with the country's consulate or embassy in the UK to find out about that country's laws on dual nationality.

https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

Regarding pension, there is also many people lifting that from multiple countries.

Why try to tell things that are hardly not possible for a country to do, especially not retroactive.

12 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

Great question. I hope he didn't and I think I read someone else did, but either way what a sad commentary on taking from those who are really in need.

How is he taking from those in need?

13 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that things had gone off the rails when both his parents died this year. He promised more details today.

I read this to be an indication as to why 'things went off the rail' and as an indication as to why the 'go-fund-me' became a replacement source for the money he no longer got from mom and dad........    He may have been living off mom and dad all that time......... I, Personally, would like to hear his wife side of the story such as how good of a husband he was........

Archived