BANGKOK
webfact

"Fake" agent helping foreigners get driving licences arrested in Pattaya

"Fake" agent helping foreigners get driving licences arrested in Pattaya

3pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Thai immigration chief Lt Gen Sompong Chingduang and his teams reported Monday that a female Thai agent had been arrested for helping foreigners get Thai driving licences and register vehicles with false stamps and documentation. 

"Vicki" (name transliterated from Thai) or Wikanda Munghangern, 44, was arrested in a sting operation outside her office near the Bang Lamung Department of Land Transport. 

Naew Na said that she had been helping nationals from Russia, Ukraine, China, Vietnam, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Belgium, the UK, the Netherlands and other countries at between 1000 and 3,000 baht a time. 

She was arrested on Friday when immigration officers posing as customers for her services met her in the car park by her office. Searches of her car, office and private address turned up lots of fake immigration stamps, fake letters of residence and other documents. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-16
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For converting from a foreign DL or extending a Thai DL there is no theory test (questions) to be done.

Questions means: the applicant did the DL from scratch incl. theory and practical test.

My Thai dl was 2 months past expiry date and that's why I had to do theory test .

• Like 1

"She was charging 1000 to 3000"

There are others, ranging from massage shops to driving schools, offering two year driver licenses @ 10,000 to 25,000 baht. These people have direct connections into local Land Transport Offices. Thai style: Scotch Whisky plus loads of cash. They also have connections inside Immigration. 

• Haha 1

LOL... a guy I know in BKK got his DL (last year) via friends wife, a Policewoman. He didn't have to do much. It's more than just agents.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

My Thai dl was 2 months past expiry date and that's why I had to do theory test .

In which province was that ??