"Fake" agent helping foreigners get driving licences arrested in Pattaya

webfact

When I did my DL (car) 8 years ago I only had the old paper licence from the UK not the fancy Euro plastic one, that meant I had to do the computer test (passed easily) driving test out the back of Pattaya DLT (passed easily) and of course the colour chart, reaction test and peripheral vision, strangely I never had to watch the video, did that for the 1st time on my last renewal last August. an all day event but well worth the experience ????

Sorry, the point being is that no one from a slightly more developed country should have no need to use an agent, common sense and some personal pride will get you through ???? 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, barney42bb said:

Why Don't people just get an International Driving Permit (IDP) from ones own country....?

Unless of course the person has not passed The test in his own country.

Then that is a mickey take to go down the illegal route in Thailand.

I think IDP is only for a short duration of your stay as a tourist. If you are a longer term resident in Thailand, you got to get local Thai driving license by converting your foreign DL. 

1 minute ago, Ctkong said:

I think IDP is only fro a short duration of your stay as a tourist. If you are a longer term resident in Thailand, you got to get local Thai driving license by converting your foreign DL. 

The foreign DL remains valid - a new Thai DL is obtained.

I thought the IDP was for 12 months ???

11 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Good. If they can't make a DL by themselves, they shouldn't be out on the roads.

Can be difficult getting a DL (by yourself) if you don't speak Thai and don't have a Thai speaker with you. My Mrs. does all the talking for me, doubt if I could do it otherwise.  What's that got to do with your ability to drive anyway...as you say..... One shouldn't be out on the roads if they can't get it on their own?

12 hours ago, Changoverandout said:

I’ve never had to answer any questions. Just colour recognition, reaction, distance and traffic light colour recognition tests.

And watch a terrible 30 minute film.

I did have to answer some questions and my girlfriend as well. But the friendly staff at the driving school assured me it'd be no problem if I entered too many wrong answers, after all they were there to help me out.

But I just studied the book and did fine on the multiple choice test. Honestly it's not that hard.

My girlfriend however found it hard to find the time to study, but the friendly staff provided all the answers for her, so she has a driving license now as well.

13 hours ago, keith101 said:

The problem is the machine they use to do the test will only accept the one answer that has been programmed into it even when there are other correct answers which I found out when I came back after a couple of years away and had to renew my 5 yr dl . I failed the first attempt simply because it would not accept the correct answer I used even though the staff said it was correct but not for their computer .

I am guessing you are referring to the 50 question multiple guess question test. Poorly translated to English from Thai. I really don't know how anyone with English as a second language passes the test. Most farang failed when I took my test and most Thais as well. Needing to score 45/50 is no easy feat with the poorly written/translated questions. That said, it appeared Thais were able to redo the test on the spot, Farang had to come back the next day. I would strongly, strongly recommend anyone taking the test to review the test on YouTube. Extremely helpful. I was able to score a 50/50 and after completing the test the examiner looked at me a little befuddled saying you get 50/50. He then stood up and announced to the others taking the test, "this man get 50/50" I am quite sure that I would have failed by a question or two if I had not reviewed the test on YouTube. As for "agents", I stopped by a visa agent shop. For both licenses (car/bike) with the car license a swap over and the bike licence a complete test, they quoted 9,000 baht. For that it was just a hand holding exercise. Basically taxi service and hand holding/translation and getting you to the correct lines. I passed on that. It took multiple trips for each license, and I don't speak Thai but it really was not any trouble. Two residence certificates, two health checks, and fee payments. The total cost was about 1200 baht. 

This is a weird question but here goes.

I don't have a current U.S. driver's license but I might want a Thai driver's license. However I don't actually ever intend to drive here or own a car here. I assume I would need to pass their actual driving test here. Is there any way to avoid that part?

Why do I want that? Well, its good for I.D. here but more to have a way to rent a car in the U.S., etc. I think I'd have no problem driving there but I just don't want to deal with driving here and I mean NEVER. I mean even with a driving school car.

For those who took the test years ago the standards for the multiple choice changed about 3 years ago. It went from needing to score 40/50 to 45/50. This is a huge difference when taking into consideration the poor english wording, and the laws being a little different in some instances. You really need to speak English as a first language to understand some of the questions. Europeans who spoke very good English were failing while I when I took my test. Use Youtube is my strong recommendation. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is a weird question but here goes.

I don't have a current U.S. driver's license but I might want a Thai driver's license. However I don't actually ever intend to drive here or own a car here. I assume I would need to pass their actual driving test here. Is there any way to avoid that part?

Why do I want that? Well, its good for I.D. here but more to have a way to rent a car in the U.S., etc. I think I'd have no problem driving there but I just don't want to deal with driving here and I mean NEVER. I mean even with a driving school car.

The driving test for both cars and bikes is really, really, simple. It is the written that is the issue and of course you spend the day watching a 2 hour video and doing the colour vision test and depth perception test, (I didn't have to do the reaction test, I think the machine was broken) Official government ID is always good.

47 minutes ago, Ulic said:

The driving test for both cars and bikes is really, really, simple. It is the written that is the issue and of course you spend the day watching a 2 hour video and doing the colour vision test and depth perception test, (I didn't have to do the reaction test, I think the machine was broken) Official government ID is always good.

Maybe simple for you. What exactly is involved in the practical driving test? I don't drive a stick. Again, I don't ever want to drive on an actual Thai road. Well actually I did once on Samui but that was a long time ago. 

Make the process more simple to enable foreigners with driving licences from their homelands, obtaining a Thai licence with no hassles. Something like show up at the DL office, show your foreign licence, take photo and 30min later you get your Thai DL. Stop all the red tape, hassles, requirements to get letters from immigration, residence and all the other bu**sh*T ..... and the trafficking and fakes will stop overnight.

I'm glad I got my lifetime motorcycle license 40+ years ago.  My Thai co-workers (Ministry of Agriculture - Land Development Dept.) took me to some office.  I paid the equivalent of $5. US.  Don't recall any details.  No tests, no nothing.  Maybe they just copied my info off the pink ID card I was given by either Peace Corps or the Ministry.  Life was easy back then. 

43 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Make the process more simple to enable foreigners with driving licences from their homelands, obtaining a Thai licence with no hassles. Something like show up at the DL office, show your foreign licence, take photo and 30min later you get your Thai DL. Stop all the red tape, hassles, requirements to get letters from immigration, residence and all the other bu**sh*T ..... and the trafficking and fakes will stop overnight.

I agree.  Maybe show pictures of one's Thai style driving competency, since things are different here.

image.png.158a878a0be025eb30d6076e83d18ee3.png  image.png.d3474b5f7fbf16e9337c7fae6006ac6b.png  image.png.867811fe1e92a3a8a324a3bad2971e96.png  image.png.1ba7caa03879d6d2f6f1a9f76f526c5a.png

16 hours ago, Changoverandout said:

I’ve never had to answer any questions. Just colour recognition, reaction, distance and traffic light colour recognition tests.

And watch a terrible 30 minute film.

Me either and I didnt have to watch any film

11 hours ago, barney42bb said:

Why Don't people just get an International Driving Permit (IDP) from ones own country....?

Unless of course the person has not passed The test in his own country.

Then that is a mickey take to go down the illegal route in Thailand.

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Because Thai Law says that after three months (or is it 6) you MUST have a Thai licence. And as we all know, Thai's conform to the Law in all cases !    LOL

I think getting an IDP is a very good idea, as a starter (perhaps that's what barney forgot to specify). Converting from a foreign DL plus IDP to a Thai DL is a breeze.

I am guessing you are referring to the 50 question multiple guess question test. Poorly translated to English from Thai. I really don't know how anyone with English as a second language passes the test. Most farang failed when I took my test and most Thais as well. Needing to score 45/50 is no easy feat with the poorly written/translated questions. That said, it appeared Thais were able to redo the test on the spot, Farang had to come back the next day. I would strongly, strongly recommend anyone taking the test to review the test on YouTube. Extremely helpful. I was able to score a 50/50 and after completing the test the examiner looked at me a little befuddled saying you get 50/50. He then stood up and announced to the others taking the test, "this man get 50/50" I am quite sure that I would have failed by a question or two if I had not reviewed the test on YouTube. As for "agents", I stopped by a visa agent shop. For both licenses (car/bike) with the car license a swap over and the bike licence a complete test, they quoted 9,000 baht. For that it was just a hand holding exercise. Basically taxi service and hand holding/translation and getting you to the correct lines. I passed on that. It took multiple trips for each license, and I don't speak Thai but it really was not any trouble. Two residence certificates, two health checks, and fee payments. The total cost was about 1200 baht. 

The Thais might have been on a second pass.
You can sit the exam 2 times per day.(ChiangMai)
The only way to pass the “English” version is to memorize the question book. Complete gobbledygook nonsense translations and contradictory answers. Took me 3 sittings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

The same for me , a few days ago in Sawang Daen Din and I was entitled to 6 years because I came the day after the end of my previous license valid for 5 years.
I had read it on different forums, I see that it is correct.

Which is the day after your birthday I believe. I too got a 6 year licence, but a few days later it had me worried as an enthusiastic policeman was unhappy with that. 

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

It's only valid for three months.

Depends on the country. My last ones were for a year. Plenty of time to sort out my Thai ones!! In fact my final one, £10 from the post office, the guy had stamped every box and so in theory I could drive an artic truck!! 555

27 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

It's only valid for three months.

They are usually issued and valid for 1 year and have to be shown together with a full driving licence to a law enforcement official. The laws of the country in which you drive may have time limits on how long one is allowed to drive on an IDP/foreign driving license before one has to obtain a driving licence of that country.

20 hours ago, mok199 said:

I am impressed how quickly the police put together these colorful and detailed charts on just about anyone who commits a crime.....fine recon work...

It's the same photo/same chart from the previous story about the Indian with a fake passport.  I recognised the portly belly on one of the officers.

20 hours ago, simtemple said:

"She was charging 1000 to 3000"

There are others, ranging from massage shops to driving schools, offering two year driver licenses @ 10,000 to 25,000 baht. These people have direct connections into local Land Transport Offices. Thai style: Scotch Whisky plus loads of cash. They also have connections inside Immigration. 

Seems to me she got busted for undercutting the opposition...

Archived