"Fake" agent helping foreigners get driving licences arrested in Pattaya

webfact

22 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

When I did my DL (car) 8 years ago I only had the old paper licence from the UK not the fancy Euro plastic one, that meant I had to do the computer test (passed easily) driving test out the back of Pattaya DLT (passed easily) and of course the colour chart, reaction test and peripheral vision, strangely I never had to watch the video, did that for the 1st time on my last renewal last August. an all day event but well worth the experience ????

Sorry, the point being is that no one from a slightly more developed country should have no need to use an agent, common sense and some personal pride will get you through ???? 

I did my first DL at Pattaya DLT also and still had the pink UK paper license (this was 24 years ago). They accepted it without a problem, and did not have to do any computer test.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/16/2019 at 3:55 PM, barney42bb said:

Why Don't people just get an International Driving Permit (IDP) from ones own country....?

Unless of course the person has not passed The test in his own country.

Then that is a mickey take to go down the illegal route in Thailand.

If you are here on an O-A visa or an extension of stay, then you must convert to a Thai license. As a tourist, you are permitted up to 3 months driving on a foreign license and IDP. After that any insurance you have will not be valid.

6 minutes ago, Seismic said:

I did my first DL at Pattaya DLT also and still had the pink UK paper license (this was 24 years ago). They accepted it without a problem, and did not have to do any computer test.

Times have changed, you did yours 16 years before me, did they have a computer room for doing the highway code thingy ?? Gawd in 2019 some departments are only just getting computerised, they introduce apps that don't work and still require mountains of real paper rather than rely on previous information provided.

When my licence expired I should have been able to inform them that I live at the same address, here is my new passport number, please give me a replacement licence!! But no, I have to jump through all the usual stupid hoops and cut a tree down in the process. 

22 hours ago, Vacuum said:

It's only valid for three months.

It is actually valid for one year, perhaps you mean someone can only drive on one in Thailand up to 3 months? Unless the policeman also asks for your passport, or you have had the same vehicle for that long, not sure how that would be a problem. 

On 7/16/2019 at 3:39 AM, webfact said:

"Vicki" (name transliterated from Thai) or Wikanda Munghangern, 44, was arrested in a sting operation outside her office near the Bang Lamung Department of Land Transport. 

Naew Na said that she had been helping nationals from Russia, Ukraine, China, Vietnam, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Belgium, the UK, the Netherlands and other countries at between 1000 and 3,000 baht a time. 

This is a well known agent, expats living here been using her for years and paid a "premium fee" for it. I never understood why someone would use an agent to get a drivers license, I always do the paper work myself and line up in the queue at the DL office. 

12 hours ago, balo said:

I never understood why someone would use an agent to get a drivers license, I always do the paper work myself and line up in the queue at the DL office. 

You are joking, it is a complete pain in the bottom process that takes all day simply to renew, also requiring a visit to immigration which in effect makes it a 2 day process. 

the problem is not experienced drivers from non-Thai countries who buy a licence ,its the wannabee's who NEVER drove a car or motorcycle, under aged and black listed drunks what scares me.......we meet them on the roads you know and the daily horror show on all Thai networks  about accidents tells you why i am scared!! not to mention the fake assumption that they stay legally in Thailand by showing a drivers licence as proof!

Archived