Democrats raise millions to fight Trump - and one another

webfact

Democrats raise millions to fight Trump - and one another

2019-07-15T231300Z_1_LYNXNPEF6E1PD_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BOOKER.JPG

Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and U.S. Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) speaks before campaigning door-to-door in Manchester, New Hampshire, U.S., July 13, 2019. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and U.S. Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) speaks before campaigning door-to-door in Manchester, New Hampshire, U.S., July 13, 2019. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

(Reuters) - U.S. Senator Cory Booker reported on Monday he raised $4.5 million in the three months ended June 30, the latest Democratic hopeful to detail his cash haul in the party's crowded presidential field.

Booker's haul, nearly a quarter of it raised in the four days after his strong appearance in the party's first debate last month, lagged those of other Democratic contenders, including front-runner Joe Biden and South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who each raised more than $20 million.

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders raised $18 million in the second quarter.

More than two dozen Democrats are vying for their party's nomination to challenge Republican President Donald Trump in the November 2020 election.

U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren brought in $19 million and spent $11 million, according to the report her campaign filed on Monday to the Federal Election Commission.

Senator Amy Klobuchar raked in just under $4 million. Senator Kamala Harris, who has traded places with Warren as voters' third and fourth choices in recent polling, said last week her campaign had raised $12 million.

By comparison, Trump and the Republican National Committee said they raised $108 million forTrump's re-election campaign.

Trump made the unprecedented move to file for re-election the day he took office on Jan. 20, 2017, allowing him to spend the past two years building his re-election operation.

Candidates are required under federal law to disclose their donors and campaign expenses. The latest reports cover the second quarter of the year, which ended on June 30.

(Reporting by Ginger Gibson in Washington and Sharon Bernstein in Sacramento, California; Editing by Cynthia Osterman and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-16

37 minutes ago, daoyai said:

amazing that anyone would give money to this clown show, glad though as this funds their ability to show how shallow their platform is.

I make smallish monthly contributions to three different Democrat candidates. I would be comfortable with any of them becoming president. I do have my preferences among them but my chief criteria, more than any specific policy position (which probably will never happen anyway) is my perception of their ability to help heal the divide amongst the American people.

1 hour ago, daoyai said:

amazing that anyone would give money to this clown show, glad though as this funds their ability to show how shallow their platform is

It's fun waiting for the Democrats to implode. 

The Dems are not ‘fighting each other’ they are competing against each other for the Democratic candidacy.

The process will include a distillation if policies to put to the electorate at the election.

Whether Trump will be running on the Republican ticket is yet to be seen.

"The Squad" and other rabid progressives are ripping the Democratic Party apart to the amusement of conservatives, Republicans, and no doubt Trump himself.  Personally I wish that independents and moderates from both sides of the aisles would get a clue and form a third party as the right is too far right and the left is too far left and neither party looks out for the interests of the average citizen.

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Dems are not ‘fighting each other’ they are competing against each other for the Democratic candidacy.

The process will include a distillation if policies to put to the electorate at the election.

Well he will be short of an impeachment conviction miracle or a Big Mac attack on his internals.

59 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

After all the "distillation" and debate of policies put to the electorate and party members, will the DNC simply cheat to install their preferred candidate like last time?

"Democrats raise millions to fight Trump - and one another"

It is the nature of primaries to fight (compete) against other members of same party. Duh. You hopefully learn this in grade school.

Do wish to remind the crew that the so called Steele dossier was begun under Republican Ted Cruz looking for dirt on Trump during primaries. After Ted fled, Demos picked up the option.

1 hour ago, connda said:

"The Squad" and other rabid progressives are ripping the Democratic Party apart to the amusement of conservatives, Republicans, and no doubt Trump himself.  Personally I wish that independents and moderates from both sides of the aisles would get a clue and form a third party as the right is too far right and the left is too far left and neither party looks out for the interests of the average citizen.

I agree the U.S. right in the age of "trump" is too far right. The republicans are basically a VERY far right wing white nationalist party, almost 100 percent. It's shocking and tragic that such EXTREMISTS now control the white house,  senate, supreme court and nearing massive dominance in the judiciary. In other words, they are almost in TOTAL POWER in the U.S. Far right wing white nationalist extremists. Let that tragedy sink in. 

The democrats though if you are being honest are a majority CENTRIST or left CENTRIST at best. This congressional "squad" indeed are further left than that but hardly off the charts left. It is FOUR people. Four people. The "trump" supporting republicans -- almost all of them now. 

How exactly are centrists (which actually reflect a solid majority of actual American people) supposed to work productively with far right wing white nationalist extremists? I don't have a clue. I think the USA is now majorly screwed. 

3 hours ago, connda said:

Interests of the average US citizen, that being the working middle class? Then I can agree. Raise the minimum wage, institute a national healthcare policy like the developed nations, reduce the costs of pursuing higher education (my thought here is to recognize that the old HS level of public education should be extended an additional two years covering both those pursuing a Bachelor's Degree or a Technical College Degree - level support), protect Social Security and Medicare for the retired working middle class. Yes, I know, these things are supported by progressives ... thing is they all are in the interest of the average American citizens.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I agree the U.S. right in the age of "trump" is too far right. The republicans are basically a VERY far right wing white nationalist party, almost 100 percent. It's shocking and tragic that such EXTREMISTS now control the white house,  senate, supreme court and nearing massive dominance in the judiciary. In other words, they are almost in TOTAL POWER in the U.S. Far right wing white nationalist extremists. Let that tragedy sink in. 

The democrats though if you are being honest are a majority CENTRIST or left CENTRIST at best. This congressional "squad" indeed are further left than that but hardly off the charts left. It is FOUR people. Four people. The "trump" supporting republicans -- almost all of them now. 

How exactly are centrists (which actually reflect a solid majority of actual American people) supposed to work productively with far right wing white nationalist extremists? I don't have a clue. I think the USA is now majorly screwed. 

Don't fret. It's only bread and circuses for the masses. 

Remember back in 2016 when nobody and the main stream media gave Donald Trump a prayer of winning the Presidency?  Remember when everybody thought Hillary had a lock on the Presidency?  Yep, me too.  Make no mistakes, barring election fraud of non-citizens and dead people voting Democrat, Donald Trump will be President again. 

Remember back in 2016 when nobody and the main stream media gave Donald Trump a prayer of winning the Presidency?  Remember when everybody thought Hillary had a lock on the Presidency?  Yep, me too.  Make no mistakes, barring election fraud of non-citizens and dead people voting Democrat, Donald Trump will be President again. 
I don't follow your logic.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I make smallish monthly contributions to three different Democrat candidates.

I think the money would be better spent on beer and hookers, at least you would get a result at the end of the day.

10 hours ago, connda said:

No small amount of irony that Obama warned of forming a circular firing squad and the brat pack chose the nickname "the squad." 

I would like to think that it's gotten past the logic of the one with the most $$$ wins.  I don't think DT spent any ad money on his campaign until a few months before the general election.

A sad truth is that the biggest advantage the GOP has is their adversary is the Dems, I won't go into details.

Though I've always found the GOP distasteful, I'm really surprised at how low they let themselves go, I mean allowing their president to defer to Russia and N Korea, insult the military and intelligence agencies?  This is really through the looking glass stuff for those of us who remember what they were in the previous century.  I know the Soviet Union is no more, but it's like the Cold War is still on, and the US is capitulating.  It used to be the liberals who were told "go back to Russia!"

It is important to know who is taking corporate money and from which corporations. Until the money is out of politics, the name of the game is the same - protsitution politics.

My easy solution - Public funds of a set amount. Then we can see how the candidates behave following a budget. This would lend insight into their fiscal aptitude.

Archived