Thailand's online drugs boom! Parcel companies need to do more

webfact

Thailand's online drugs boom! Parcel companies need to do more

7pm.jpg

Thai caption: Parcel delivery services must step up their game on inspections

A former drugs suppression policeman and other police told Daily News that there has been a great rise in narcotics being advertised in online groups then delivered in the mail. 

Pol Col Samran Nuanma told the media that parcel delivery firms should be doing more to inspect and question what they are delivering to customers. 

There have been several cases recently of people getting into trouble for receiving parcels that contain drugs. 

The post office has issued extensive guidance for people to avoid falling victim. 

Pol Col Niwat Phunguthaisri said that the landscape of drug dealing had changed since the rise of modern technology since 2007 with smart phone and app usage. 

Whereas before stings with dealers would be conducted on the streets, drug authorities now face an entirely different battle between dealer and customer. 

Neither is likely to know each other and enforcement has had to change. 

Daily News said in their headline that online drug dealing was now booming in Thailand. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-16

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Daily News said in their headline that online drug dealing was now booming in Thailand. 

With the minimum wage at an unrealistic low people are sometimes driven to the dark side !

Lazy government attempting to get others to fo their job.

It's the job of law enforcement to enforce the law, anything else and you end up with a  Stasi like scenario and a population full of informants.

Not a problem restricted to Thailand this .. Illegal narc's are widely available on the darkweb with payment possible by electronic currency .. The product is despatched in sealed odour proof bags with private courier firms delivering to the door .. 

46 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Lazy government attempting to get others to fo their job.

It's the job of law enforcement to enforce the law, anything else and you end up with a  Stasi like scenario and a population full of informants.

Don't you think that the carrier should know what they're carrying?

Where I live, the goods are always inspected before the package is sealed at the Post Office. Even documents are given a cursory glance before the package is shut. If you think wider than drugs, it prevents a whole gamut of malicious packages, parcel bombs, anthrax filled envelopes etc.

16 hours ago, Traubert said:

Where I live, the goods are always inspected before the package is sealed at the Post Office. Even documents are given a cursory glance before the package is shut. If you think wider than drugs, it prevents a whole gamut of malicious packages, parcel bombs, anthrax filled envelopes etc.

Hmmm same in the Philippines, I couldn't believe it when I was told to unwrap my parcel for inspection. 

19 hours ago, Traubert said:

Ever heard of Secrecy of correspondence????

It's a fundamental legal right and enshrined in most western constitutions. In the US it's prolly protected by the fourth amendment.

I don't think my lawyers want anyone else to read their letters, i don't think businesses want to have their letters read either, and i don't think people want to have their letters read. I think my bank might have an issue with this too.

You must live in an absolute nightmarish place, i would not open my personal letters to anyone.

To find anthrax and co, i heard dogs can find drugs and explosives nowadays... i don't think a postal inspector can tho, they are easy to hide.

So no, i don't think a random third party like a carrier should know what they carry, it's none of their business at all.

It just makes it easier to steal valuable packages and private information, there should be a severe punishment for carriers that open domestic packages.

Somchai doesn't need to know that someone ordered a new laptop or iphone from Lazada.

11 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Ever heard of Secrecy of correspondence????

It's a fundamental legal right and enshrined in most western constitutions. In the US it's prolly protected by the fourth amendment.

I don't think my lawyers want anyone else to read their letters, i don't think businesses want to have their letters read either, and i don't think people want to have their letters read. I think my bank might have an issue with this too.

You must live in an absolute nightmarish place, i would not open my personal letters to anyone.

To find anthrax and co, i heard dogs can find drugs and explosives nowadays... i don't think a postal inspector can tho, they are easy to hide.

So no, i don't think a random third party like a carrier should know what they carry, it's none of their business at all.

It just makes it easier to steal valuable packages and private information, there should be a severe punishment for carriers that open domestic packages.

Somchai doesn't need to know that someone ordered a new laptop or iphone from Lazada.

Then deliver or collect it personally. Your choice.

I think you need to think about the inspection of goods before the package is sealed thing again. If there's a concern in my country, they'll bring those options in.

By the way, we aren't talking about the US. Lots of anthrax was delivered in the US. They're shit at it.

Archived