BANGKOK 18 August 2019 20:51
Geordieabroad

Staying in Thailand 6 months per year

I have been staying in Thailand for a few years with an extension based on retirement. I am considering buying a property back in the U.K. and spending 50% of the year in U.K. and 50% in Thailand. What would be the best way (with regard to visas) for my 6 months in Thailand each year? I'm assuming that the extension i already have would run out as i wouldn't be doing 90 day reports and maybe wouldn't be in Thailand on the renewal date

Posted (edited)

The 90 day report isn't an issue as no need to do them when back in UK. 

Are you on 12 month extensions? Based on ?

Not possible to organize your time in los around your date to apply for subsequent extensions?

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I met a Kiwi who stays in Thailand 6 months on a retirement visa Non O retirement and renews it yearly. He go to Australia for 6 months to work and make money. This is OK with immigration.

• Like 1

You only have to do a report if you stay longer than 90 days in the country. the 90 days start counting again when you return. Has nothing to do with your extension. As long as you are back on time to renew, you are ok.

• Like 1

Keep all the qualifying money in Thailand, when ready to return get a nonImm ‘O’ visa with bank book copies, return and extend after two months. Then return to UK with a re-entry permit. That is what I had to do when my passport expired while I was in UK for my seven month summer stay. 

Posted (edited)

Many people spend winters in Thailand on a retirement extension. If you have it all set up, and use the 800k in the bank, and can afford to leave it there, I say carry on as before. Or same if you use an agent. Income, 65,000 pcm, every month, would not be suitable unless you plan to be spending it all.

90 day reporting not required when you are out of the country.

Edited by jacko45k

I am using ME-non-O marriage for that purpose. My wife has permanent residency in Germany and live in our house and work there. 6 months of the year I am going to Thailand to take care of our properties, we invested for our retirement and to work in the region as consultant . Works well for more than20 years. Never filed any report

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Many people spend winters in Thailand on a retirement extension. If you have it all set up, and use the 800k in the bank, and can afford to leave it there, I say carry on as before. Or same if you use an agent. Income, 65,000 pcm, every month, would not be suitable unless you plan to be spending it all.

90 day reporting not required when you are out of the country.

I use the 800k in the bank method and don't have a problem leaving it there. Are you saying i should time my stay so that i am in Thailand when my extension is due for renewal (mid September) ?

Then not worry about missing 90 day reports during the 6 months i am in the UK?

If that would work and i don't get any hassle from immigration then that would be perfect.

22 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

Then not worry about missing 90 day reports during the 6 months i am in the UK?

No need to do or worry about doing 90 day reports of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country since you not be in the country.

24 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

If that would work and i don't get any hassle from immigration then that would be perfect.

Yes it would certainly work.

Like many said, keep your retirement extension.

Just make sure that the renewal date is during the 6 months that you are in Thailand.

Otherwise, use the O-A that you renew in your home country.

I do pretty much the same....however I have more issues on the UK front....effectively being out of the country more than 90 days could be an issue and also if you are leaving a house empty for 6 months -this could invalidate your house insurance

Renting the property out for 6 months is frowned upon by estate agents etc - plus you potentially have to find a place for all your stuff.....

I ended up going to the UK last year for 3 months and getting holiday lets....and left my tenant in my house

This year we are going to give him notice and stay for 6 months...I have found this the best way forward for me.

On the visa front I got a retirement visa - which I just extend once a year. 

• Like 1

I have done this for 8 years with out a problem. I do keep the 800k in a Thai bank. Immigration always very pleasant to deal with.

• Haha 1