BANGKOK
WaveHunter

[KETO] Just How Important are Carbohydrates for Athletes...Really?

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, robblok said:

You are what they call a skinny fat person. My BMI is much higher then yours but with visible abs. Yes its probably your diet that makes it hard for you.

You might consider lifting some weights too not doing only cardio. 

I was fat but never a cannon ball belly (looks a lot like an insulin problem then cutting carbs is the way to go). When i was fat i was still active and lifting weights.. but my diet sucked. You cannot out train a bad diet. 

@robblok makes a good point.  Often if you’re not really obese but have a prominent “belly”, that’s indicative of a “fatty liver” condition caused by excessive carbs.  Same thing happens from excessive alcohol (beer belly).  Being “skinny fat” is pretty common.  Controlling high-sugar carbs (and excessive alcohol) will fix it fast.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 10:02 AM, WaveHunter said:

Look, I don’t know why you and certain other individuals seem to have a bug up their ass.  Nobody is forcing you to click on these topics.

hahaha   great that you don't take his crap.   He (and a few others)  only want THEIR topics and agendas

constantly repeated .  And of course his arguments and posts are always the same.   

What a laugh when negative people call others negative .   Its his trademark

On 7/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, WaveHunter said:

Why didn't my doctor advocate that...instead of prescription drugs?  Why did he not treat the underlying cause (poor nutrition) instead of treating only the symptoms

I am a little late to this topic.   Better late than never (well, some may not think so   haha)

I have at times advocated learning about one's body and finding ways to improve health, rather than

just taking pills or following "doctors orders".    Some here seem to "like" that approach, but I am sure many others do not.  There are always the usual "go to a doctor who KNOWS what to do"  retorts.

I have tried different approaches and foods/ supplements and think I am doing OK.  I too had to overcome some heath difficulties.    I think topics like this (keto) or similar ones draw some interest but the determining factor in my opinion is still each individuals determination to STICK TO a certain protocol for an extended time in order to see what the results are on his/her health.  

I won't win any fans by saying that I think most folks just don't think its worth it and don't have the willpower.  I think ones health is the most important factor in how one feels in general . Those that disagree can all go to hell !   haha  uh, just kidding 🙂    Don't forget that humor is also good for the soul .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

I am a little late to this topic.   Better late than never (well, some may not think so   haha)

I have at times advocated learning about one's body and finding ways to improve health, rather than

just taking pills or following "doctors orders".    Some here seem to "like" that approach, but I am sure many others do not.  There are always the usual "go to a doctor who KNOWS what to do"  retorts.

I have tried different approaches and foods/ supplements and think I am doing OK.  I too had to overcome some heath difficulties.    I think topics like this (keto) or similar ones draw some interest but the determining factor in my opinion is still each individuals determination to STICK TO a certain protocol for an extended time in order to see what the results are on his/her health.  

I won't win any fans by saying that I think most folks just don't think its worth it and don't have the willpower.  I think ones health is the most important factor in how one feels in general . Those that disagree can all go to hell !   haha  uh, just kidding 🙂    Don't forget that humor is also good for the soul .

Problem is always sticking to it, for me Keto is just not easy to stick with and when I did it it did not perform better then with carbs. Everyone is different but the one thing i know for sure consistency rules.

Also some people just wont make the sacrifices needed to get in shape. Its just a matter of choice what you want.. in shape healthy or eating and drinking whatever you  want. 

I have made it harder on myself now totally no sugary drinks anymore but i see the results from it. I was lean before.. now I am going to the next level. Also added cardio.. it all helps.. it all depends what your willing to do to change. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

I was lean before.. now I am going to the next level

I think the next level after lean is said to be MEAN.......   Those trolls better watch out 

BTW:  off topic but didn't we talk about Netflix a while back ?   Just finished 7 seasons of Homeland.

Not bad..... 

9 hours ago, rumak said:

I think the next level after lean is said to be MEAN.......   Those trolls better watch out 

BTW:  off topic but didn't we talk about Netflix a while back ?   Just finished 7 seasons of Homeland.

Not bad..... 

Could be that we talked about netflix.. i like it works good for me. I still have a program to download automatically other series i watch.

The next level after lean is shredded or super lean. I am always a bit mean or at least can be in my posting style. 

But I am actually quite happy that I am getting past barriers I had before (fat wise) I could always go down to a certain level (lean) but never much further then that. Now I am passing it probably because of cardio and really absolutely no sweet drinks. 

Also I had a diet break (something that might help others too) If you diet for too long its good to take a month of or so and start over again. My meaning of diet is caloric deficit. I always eat healthy but just ate a bit less. 

Ok I have eaten bad otherwise I did not gain the weight last year but that is more exception then the rule. Came because of sleep problems. 

But I am more and more convinced that people can get where they want if they want it bad enough and are willing to do enough / give up enough. No matter what they choose keto / vegetarianism / just carbs unprocessed and high protein + fat what I do. Just a matter of finding what works for you and stick with it. 

For me making small changes helps, i did not start cardio full blast and I am still not at full potential. I build it up slow otherwise i go crazy. Same with my diet.. took me a long time to 100% eliminate the sweet drinks. I still had the occasional one on a day now they are gone. 

Some people are really strong and can switch from bad to 100% good at once. I can mage a big change but going straight to perfection is impossible i need to go slow there to keep it mentally doable. I am still planning to add more cardio (HIIT rowing) but only after I conquered my sleeping problems totally. Because recovery is an issue the older you get. I am still not old 45 but still notice that i need to recover after heavy lifting sessions and too much exercise volume would break me down.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

older you get. I am still not old 45

ah yes,  i thought i remembered that you were still a young man.  My mind is still 30 but my athletic body went through a few major setbacks after 55.   I thought I ate healthy and had no need for supplements but was not fending off the aches and pains and energy loss of ageing.  I was getting frustrated. I did not eat much meat or fats before but have now been eating a keto style diet (again, not a 100%.... but definitely a big change).   

For me it has had a noticeable affect on my energy level with an increased positive outlook as an added result.  I take some what I believe are important supplements ...important because what I read and have taken to heart is that most of us are severely deficient in magnesium, vit D3... and a few other things.

Again, each person must research and form their own protocol, so I won't go into my personal details .

Thanks to you , wavehunter and the few others that share your experiences and ideas about health and fitness.  I am not a weight lifter but gardening and biking does keep me fairly fit for a guy in his late 60's.

I think you will find that as one ages there are always adjustments and new challenges to maintaining ones health.   But the need for willpower never changes.

11 minutes ago, rumak said:

ah yes,  i thought i remembered that you were still a young man.  My mind is still 30 but my athletic body went through a few major setbacks after 55.   I thought I ate healthy and had no need for supplements but was not fending off the aches and pains and energy loss of ageing.  I was getting frustrated. I did not eat much meat or fats before but have now been eating a keto style diet (again, not a 100%.... but definitely a big change).   

For me it has had a noticeable affect on my energy level with an increased positive outlook as an added result.  I take some what I believe are important supplements ...important because what I read and have taken to heart is that most of us are severely deficient in magnesium, vit D3... and a few other things.

Again, each person must research and form their own protocol, so I won't go into my personal details .

Thanks to you , wavehunter and the few others that share your experiences and ideas about health and fitness.  I am not a weight lifter but gardening and biking does keep me fairly fit for a guy in his late 60's.

I think you will find that as one ages there are always adjustments and new challenges to maintaining ones health.   But the need for willpower never changes.

I think you can keep certain things up quite a while i have seen real old weight lifters. However I notice that I can't recover as fast as I used to do. 

I take vit D magnesium and a few others. (more then a few) one thing i advise people not people on keto because they dont take many carbs is berberine (helps a lot to keep insulin in check).

I really never thought much about cardio hated it, i still don't love it but i think its together with lifting is key to stay healthy. Cardio does more for the heart then lifting. Lifting does more for preserving muscle and bone. Together they are golden.

I think everyone should find what suits them I am not a one thing suits everyone kind of guy. 

I think I am in pretty good shape the reason i push on is because I need a goal, and I can't get much stronger (not that i need it but i just like progress). So now my progress is getting leaner. Just maintenance is a bit boring for me I like to push myself. Even my dad loves to push himself on his bike. My mom always complains about that, that he wears himself down but its just what he (and I) like we need to feel our workout.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 10:33 AM, WaveHunter said:

@robblok makes a good point.  Often if you’re not really obese but have a prominent “belly”, that’s indicative of a “fatty liver” condition caused by excessive carbs.  Same thing happens from excessive alcohol (beer belly).  Being “skinny fat” is pretty common.  Controlling high-sugar carbs (and excessive alcohol) will fix it fast.

I have been on a Keto diet for the best part of 2 week and as an absolute novice It has been an interesting experience. Apart from a very light dizziness and a slight headache on day 4-5 it has been pretty smooth. Weight loss was about 4 kg in 14 days, but I still have a hint of a belly when standing up. I guess situps is the only way to tighten up a soft stomach?

Two other observations worth mention:

1. My resting pulse, as measured by fitbit watch, went from 45 to 58 during the Keto phase. Not sure why.

2. I do a fixed 40 minuted all out cardio on a fitness bike and when on Keto I could only do 540 cal vs. normally 660-700 cal during the 40 min. Make sense the body is struggling to feed the muscles with fuel when there are no carbs available. 

Good fun and thanks for all the tips on this thread.

175198.jpg

175199.jpg

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I have been on a Keto diet for the best part of 2 week and as an absolute novice It has been an interesting experience. Apart from a very light dizziness and a slight headache on day 4-5 it has been pretty smooth. Weight loss was about 4 kg in 14 days, but I still have a hint of a belly when standing up. I guess situps is the only way to tighten up a soft stomach?

1. My resting pulse, as measured by fitbit watch, went from 45 to 58 during the Keto phase. Not sure why.

2. I do a fixed 40 minuted all out cardio on a fitness bike and when on Keto I could only do 540 cal vs. normally 660-700 cal during the 40 min. Make sense the body is struggling to feed the muscles with fuel when there are no carbs available. 

Just remember part of the weight you lost is water, no carbs means your holding a lot less water.

Maybe later you will be able to get higher with your cardio or not.. not everyone likes KETO and it does not work for everyone. If your cardio is really high intensity then KETO is not the best option.

Situps wont help you just have to lose more fat and maybe the skin needs some time to get back to normal. Situps will make your abs stronger and if lucky bigger (so they look good) but that wont happen fast. 

Often you need to go much lower in body-weight then you think before your truly lean its frustrating for everyone. Everyone always thinks they need to lose less weight then they really do.

Happy that keto works for you. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

175198.jpg

175199.jpg

Nice!  Glad you’re having a positive experience, and you’re only 2 weeks into it so you have much more positive experiences to come.  You are slowly but surely becoming “keto-adapted”.  That takes time.  The whole idea behind keto-style nutrition is that redefines the metabolic pathways of energy production so that the body becomes more and more able to use fats (both dietary and those stored in the body) as an efficient fuel source.

That adaptation can take months to fully happen, so things like your resting metabolic rate, VO2 max when exercising, symptoms associated with lower carbs, etc, will gradually change in a positive direction.

My advice would be to just keep reading up on “keto adaptation” and make yourself well-informed about all of this.  It’s all still very much on the cutting edge, and there’s not yet a consensus on how it all really works, say staying informed is pretty important (and actually pretty fascinating, providing you get your information from legitimate sources.

Remember, it’s not just a “diet”, it’s a life-long health lifestyle.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a thumbs-up since the majority of people who try keto rarely have the right goal in mind (looking at it only as a temporary weight loss diet), or do it the right way, and rarely get beyond a week or two before giving up.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, robblok said:

Just remember part of the weight you lost is water, no carbs means your holding a lot less water.

Maybe later you will be able to get higher with your cardio or not.. not everyone likes KETO and it does not work for everyone. If your cardio is really high intensity then KETO is not the best option.

Situps wont help you just have to lose more fat and maybe the skin needs some time to get back to normal. Situps will make your abs stronger and if lucky bigger (so they look good) but that wont happen fast. 

Often you need to go much lower in body-weight then you think before your truly lean its frustrating for everyone. Everyone always thinks they need to lose less weight then they really do.

Happy that keto works for you. 

I don’t think weight loss from water is that much in his case because he’s only reducing carbs, not eliminating them.  You can be in maximum ketosis while still ingesting carbs so skeletal muscles are not severely being deprived of glycogen, only the liver is.  And, as his body becomes more keto-adapted over time, glycogen to the muscles will only improve.

Edited by WaveHunter

41 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I don’t think weight loss from water is that much in his case because he’s only reducing carbs, not eliminating them.  You can be in maximum ketosis while still ingesting carbs so skeletal muscles are not severely being deprived of glycogen, only the liver is.  And, as his body becomes more keto-adapted over time, glycogen to the muscles will only improve.

He said he was on a keto diet.. to me that means no carbs ore little.. with his cardio combined in 2 weeks he would have gotten rid of all his glycogen. I see this happening with myself if i train a lot and take less carbs.. i can then predict my weights will be lower. Just my opinion of course.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

175198.jpg

175199.jpg

Firstly HUGE congrats for the results and for changing your lifestyle!

RE - your fitbit, please remember to use this as a barometer of performance NOT an absolute. Therefore as long as your cals/workout keep increasing then thats great, however the number they give you will NOT be accurate. I would also check your pulse from a different source, I would really question (give that you just stated to do cardio) if you have a resting BP so low. I was a cardio nut and never got mine into the 40's or even mid 50's bpm

That said WELL DONE AGAIN 

• Like 1