Recent Experience On A Thai Visa

eljuwa

Hello Fellow Members

I have written on this topic before. Here is my experience in June 2019

I have lived in Thailand since 2010. The US Embassy/Consulate stopped issuing their notarized income verification in January 2019. I do not have the 800,000 baht deposit. I have monthly income of over 80,000 baht. Since I did not TRANSFER funds (65,000 baht) from my US Bank to a Thai Bank, Thai Immigration did not renew my Retirement Visa. I left Thailand on 13 June 2019. I went to the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles on 19 June with all detailed required documentation (as needed by Royal Thai Consulate office). I was approved in 10 minutes for a Non Immigrant OA Long Stay Visa for one year on 19 June 2019. (received the passport stamp on 20 June). Eligible for renewal at the end of June 2020 for another year. I double checked my last statement with the Visa Office in Los Angeles who confirmed the one year renewal. Whether the Thai Immigration will honor that..I will find out in June 2020.

That is all that I have to share with you as my personal experience.

1 hour ago, eljuwa said:

I was approved in 10 minutes for a Non Immigrant OA Long Stay Visa for one year on 19 June 2019. (received the passport stamp on 20 June). Eligible for renewal at the end of June 2020 for another year

Visas are never eligible for renewal, just re-issues. If you wanted a new O-A visa come June 2020,  you'd need to return to the US to apply for a new O-A visa.

Now, where the confusion comes, is you can get a second year's entry into Thailand if you re-enter Thailand before June 19 (or 20?), 2020, when your visa expires. Then, you get a 'one year stamp' which, functions effectively like a new O-A visa -- but it ain't.

Replying..

DonDoRondo

Yes. You are correct. I still got my visa

elektrified

I missed out on getting that US Consulate letter in December 2018

Jim Gant

Clarification on your 2nd para

If I leave Thailand before my current Non-Immigrant Visa expires (20 June 2020), would I get that elusive one year extension stamp at the Thai airport ?? for another year.

The Visa Officer in Los Angeles told me that Thai Immigration will give me the one year extension. Some others are telling me that I have to leave Thailand before 20 June 2020 and then re-enter.

I do not know what to believe.

Do you think that I could get an answer at Chiang Mai Immigration

Thanks

Lots of confused parts on this.. especially to be sure it is a O-A not an O based on retirement as people often make the mistake of assuming a 'retirement visa' is an O-A when it isnt (did you provide criminal record background checks etc). 

If its an O-A you will be given a 1 year permission of stay on entry. If you leave and re-enter the country at any time before the 1 year expiration of the visa, you will gain another 1 year permission of stay. If in the second year, after the visa has expired, you leave the country, you should obtain a re-entry permit (single or multiple) to keep the permission of stay valid, otherwise it expires when you leave. 

At any point, when approaching the end of a permission of stay, you can apply for a annual extension (to the permission of stay, not the visa) if you meet the requirements (800k, 65k a month from outside Thailand, etc). This could be at the end of the first entry after a year, or any subsequent entries. 

Not forgetting you will need to do 90 day reports for any time you stay incountry longer than 90 days, your TM30 address reporting, and every other monitoring of the dangerous farang that they now dream up. 

If it isnt an O-A, merely a non imm O, you will get 90 days permission of stay, at any time up to 1 year (therefore good for 15 months careful use). Extensions can therefore be asked for approaching the end of any of the 90 day permissions of stay. 

Clear as mud ?? 

Hello LivinLOS

You have provided the best explanation to me on this topic. You are extremely clear. Crystal clear !!!

However I need to ask you..

My Non Immigrant O-A Long Stay (I provided all necessary documentation including criminal record, doctor certificate and proof of income) issued by the Royal Thai Consulate, Los Angeles has approved a one year permission for me to stay until 20 June 2020.

If I want to do the one year extension for permission to stay; I leave the country before 20 June and on my return to Thailand before 20 June, do I apply for the one year extension to stay at the Thai Airport ?? Or, do I have to go to the Thai Immigration Office. Of course, I will provide all proof of income or any other documentation that is required.

Please help me with your valuable advice.

Much appreciated

James

Kudos for a super important and timely share for me, Eljuwa.

Would you believe it, I'm booked to go back to S. Cal. and visit the L.A. Thai Embassy to apply for the marriage visa thing in 2 weeks.  And ironically I just yesterday transferred many baht to my wife's bank account so she can manage our house build in Korat while I'm gone.  Which could make me marginal in the "what's left in account in my name" category - although, just like you, I have a reasonably healthy retirement income every month and other reasons that cash flow is not a problem.  Reality and nitpicking are usually not twins.

(Settle down, boys, no need for any "You Did WHATs" on the money transfer thing.  My wife and I have been an item for over 3 years, married in U.S. and then lived there a year and a half , I've been international most of my life, etc., etc., and knock on wood, all that begins eventually ends on this planet.....but I'm not naive or in need of advice in that regard).  

Side note, which is probably old news to most readers.....I did maybe my 10th or 12th border run a couple weeks ago, to Cambodia for the third time.  Once was to spend several days gaping at Angkor Wat (and get the month renewed), and then one that was literally a hundred yard stroll across the border, then across the street, and an hour later back in Thailand with a fresh tourist stamp.  But this recent go was a near bust. 

Apparently they are (now?  sometimes? some officials?) demanding a minimum of an overnight stay "away".  Also, a booked airline ticket out of Thailand within 30 days you can show.  And even then, with those things satisfied, when I got to the front of the interminable line to cross back into Thailand I was pulled aside by the first agent and referred to a second who cross examined me and turned me over to a third, who turned me over to the head honcho.  He sat me down at his desk, and it didn't bode well that as I sat across from him I couldn't help but see he had an official document there under the desk's glass cover dated May of 2016 outlining the new (!) policy.  Kindly already positioned for easy reading by the farangs in the the hot seat.  We both had our little spiel for each other and then he made a glum face or two, fidgeted a little, and started all over again on the rules, reiterated everything, and then looked at me silently.  We repeated this little dance (really!) two more times with minor variations.  I didn't dare suppose he was waiting for a bribe, to offer one could have complicated matters dramatically.  And I had in hand all the things that they said I needed in the first place, that's what I spent the entire previous night pulling together.  (And try to get a plane ticket printed from your cell phone at 6:00 AM in Poi Pet.)  At least one of the Thai officials had been kind enough to prepare me for that unknown requirement or it would have been another cycle through the grinder.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, but it was not the smooth transaction one would hope for.  So, I could have played the game ongoing but have some business in California anyway, so stopping by the L.A. Embassy is a good idea - the whole deal is supposed to happen over about 3 days, drop off application and meet with clerk/official, come back in 2 or 3 days, and voila!, an annual visa instead of a monthly, and easier to renew, or so the available info shows.

Don't know if this whole border drama debacle is a "new deal" or just a typical bureaucratic pain in the butt sporadic flareup.  But for those on the "monthly plan" - be prepared!

Will post again to relate how things went.

2 hours ago, eljuwa said:

If I want to do the one year extension for permission to stay; I leave the country before 20 June and on my return to Thailand before 20 June, do I apply for the one year extension to stay at the Thai Airport ?? Or, do I have to go to the Thai Immigration

No you simply go through immigration at the airport (or border crossing) when you return and the Immigration Officer will stamp your passport with a new stamp for 1 year which has a "admitted until" date stamp on it (see pic below).

I would highly suggest you hand your passport to the IO with the page open to your original O-A visa and then double check the stamp and date in it before you walk away (after fingerprinting on the bio scanner).  Make sure you got the O-A stamp good for 1 more year.

After June 20 you will need to get a single or multi re-entry permit if travelling outside Thailand in order to keep your O-A status here (as LivinLOS said).

Non-O-A Stamp.JPG

On 7/16/2019 at 4:20 PM, eljuwa said:

Replying..

DonDoRondo

Yes. You are correct. I still got my visa

elektrified

I missed out on getting that US Consulate letter in December 2018

Jim Gant

Clarification on your 2nd para

If I leave Thailand before my current Non-Immigrant Visa expires (20 June 2020), would I get that elusive one year extension stamp at the Thai airport ?? for another year.

The Visa Officer in Los Angeles told me that Thai Immigration will give me the one year extension. Some others are telling me that I have to leave Thailand before 20 June 2020 and then re-enter.

I do not know what to believe.

Do you think that I could get an answer at Chiang Mai Immigration

Thanks

Eljuwa,

For Non O-A did you get a medical certificate in LA?

Criminal background check. How did you apply ?

Please provide as much detail as possible.

It would be easier for me to get a Medical check in Thailand but I understand this is not acceptable to the Royal Thai Counsul, Los Angeles,

There are some wonderful Forum Members who have made some excellent comments..

LivinLOS: You started the ball rolling for me. Thanks

T Lee: You will have no problems in dealing with the Royal Consulate in Los Angeles. They are all very nice officers. Please make sure that you have all the documentation, some have to be notarized, the correct fee in a Money Order etc etc. Please follow the web site for all of these requirements. Best wishes to you and your wife in your wedding

Mee Pee Mai: What I wanted to hear from LivinLOS and the Forum in what needs to be done on return to get another one year on my Non Immigrant O A is exactly what I wanted to know. I will share this information with another American who is in the same boat as me.. You even showed your Passport stamp. Thanks a million. You are simply amazing..!!!!

Date Masamune: Please follow the guidelines/requirements on the web site. Certain documents need to be notarized. This includes: Medical certificate from a doctor in USA. Preferably, California for you. I got a medical report from a doctor in Azusa, CA. Police report from the same city that you have your USA address. I got the Police report from the City of Azusa. You will get this over the counter. Money order in the correct amount. I paid $ 200.

For reference, here is an abstract from the web site..Please do your own inquiry into this..

Non-Immigrant O-A Retirement/Long-Stay Visa

• For the purpose of retirement (Type “O-A”)
Qualifications of an applicant
      1. A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above. (on the date of submitting the application)
      2. Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act. B.E. 2522 .
      3. Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/ her application is submitted.
      4. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
      5. Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)
(Leprosy, Tuberculosis [T.B], Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism, 3nd step of syphilis)

Required documents (*** One original set and 3 sets of copies. Requested documentation 5–7 must be notarized.***)
      1. Four visa application forms |Download|
      2. Four passport-type photos (Passport-type photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).
      3. Four copies of the applicant's passport (the picture page) - include the actual passport when submitting the application.  Passport must be valid for at least 18 more months.
      4. Four copies of Personal Data Form. |Download| 
      *5. Four copies of: 
               - applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)
               - or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht
               - or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht a year.
      (When submitting the bank statement, a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance is to be presented)
      *6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence.  The verification must not be more than three months old. Please note we will not accept the receipt for Request for Live Scan Service unless it includes the actual report/results.
      *7. Four copies of the completed medical certificate form |Download| issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor.  The certificate must be not be older than 3 months.
       8. Copy of applicant's airline tickets showing flight to Thailand.
       9.  The visa fee for Non-Immigrant O-A Long-Stay (Retirement) visa is $200 - payable by cashiers check or money order only made payable to "Royal Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles"

If the applicant's spouse will be accompanying him or her, a copy of the applicant's valid marriage certificate must be presented as supporting documentation.  If the applicant's spouse is not qualified for the retirement visa (e.g. not age 50+), the spouse will be considered for the Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O” or Temporary Residents.

Extending the Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay) Visa

The consulate cannot extend/renew the Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay Visa) - you will have to re-apply for this type of visa (resubmit all of the required documentation) or you can apply for the extension through Thai Immigration in Thailand. 

From: “Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters, No. 606/2549, Re: Rules and Conditions in the Consideration of Alien Applications for Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand”

Consideration for Extending Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay) Visa

7.21 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than one year at a time.  Qualifications for consideration of extending a Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay) Visa include:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM); and
(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over; and
(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months; or
(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application
(6) For an alien who entered Thailand before October 21, 1998, and continuously allowed to stay in the Kingdom as a retiree, the following shall apply:

(a) He/she must be 60 years of age or over and has regular income. His/her bank account deposit shall not be less than Baht 200,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown; or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 20,000.

(b) If he/she is under 60 years of age but not less than 55, the alien shall have regular income with a bank account deposit of not less than Baht 500,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown, or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 50,000.

Documentation to be submitted includes:

1. Application form
2. Copy of the applicant's passport
3. Proof of income, e.g., retirement pension, interest earnings or dividends, etc.; and/or
4. Certificate of local bank account deposit together with copies of bank account records
5. Only in the case set out in clause (6), the same documentation as stated in clauses 1-4 above shall be required.

1.  Visa does not specify permitted stay - that is the stamp you receive on entry from immigration that allows stay.

2.  O-A multi entry should receive a one year permitted to stay from any entry during validity of the visa.

3.  To obtain the 'extra year' you must exit/return while the visa is still valid.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:20 PM, eljuwa said:

If I leave Thailand before my current Non-Immigrant Visa expires (20 June 2020)

Make sure you return before the date on the actual visa stamp - not a permitted to stay stamp - to obtain a new one year stay.

38 minutes ago, eljuwa said:

There are some wonderful Forum Members who have made some excellent comments..

LivinLOS: You started the ball rolling for me. Thanks

T Lee: You will have no problems in dealing with the Royal Consulate in Los Angeles. They are all very nice officers. Please make sure that you have all the documentation, some have to be notarized, the correct fee in a Money Order etc etc. Please follow the web site for all of these requirements. Best wishes to you and your wife in your wedding

Mee Pee Mai: What I wanted to hear from LivinLOS and the Forum in what needs to be done on return to get another one year on my Non Immigrant O A is exactly what I wanted to know. I will share this information with another American who is in the same boat as me.. You even showed your Passport stamp. Thanks a million. You are simply amazing..!!!!

Date Masamune: Please follow the guidelines/requirements on the web site. Certain documents need to be notarized. This includes: Medical certificate from a doctor in USA. Preferably, California for you. I got a medical report from a doctor in Azusa, CA. Police report from the same city that you have your USA address. I got the Police report from the City of Azusa. You will get this over the counter. Money order in the correct amount. I paid $ 200.

For reference, here is an abstract from the web site..Please do your own inquiry into this..

Non-Immigrant O-A Retirement/Long-Stay Visa

• For the purpose of retirement (Type “O-A”)
Qualifications of an applicant
      1. A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above. (on the date of submitting the application)
      2. Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act. B.E. 2522 .
      3. Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/ her application is submitted.
      4. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
      5. Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)
(Leprosy, Tuberculosis [T.B], Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism, 3nd step of syphilis)

Required documents (*** One original set and 3 sets of copies. Requested documentation 5–7 must be notarized.***)
      1. Four visa application forms |Download|
      2. Four passport-type photos (Passport-type photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).
      3. Four copies of the applicant's passport (the picture page) - include the actual passport when submitting the application.  Passport must be valid for at least 18 more months.
      4. Four copies of Personal Data Form. |Download| 
      *5. Four copies of: 
               - applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)
               - or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht
               - or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht a year.
      (When submitting the bank statement, a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance is to be presented)
      *6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence.  The verification must not be more than three months old. Please note we will not accept the receipt for Request for Live Scan Service unless it includes the actual report/results.
      *7. Four copies of the completed medical certificate form |Download| issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor.  The certificate must be not be older than 3 months.
       8. Copy of applicant's airline tickets showing flight to Thailand.
       9.  The visa fee for Non-Immigrant O-A Long-Stay (Retirement) visa is $200 - payable by cashiers check or money order only made payable to "Royal Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles"

If the applicant's spouse will be accompanying him or her, a copy of the applicant's valid marriage certificate must be presented as supporting documentation.  If the applicant's spouse is not qualified for the retirement visa (e.g. not age 50+), the spouse will be considered for the Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O” or Temporary Residents.

Extending the Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay) Visa

The consulate cannot extend/renew the Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay Visa) - you will have to re-apply for this type of visa (resubmit all of the required documentation) or you can apply for the extension through Thai Immigration in Thailand. 

From: “Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters, No. 606/2549, Re: Rules and Conditions in the Consideration of Alien Applications for Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand”

Consideration for Extending Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay) Visa

7.21 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than one year at a time.  Qualifications for consideration of extending a Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement/Long-Stay) Visa include:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM); and
(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over; and
(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months; or
(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application
(6) For an alien who entered Thailand before October 21, 1998, and continuously allowed to stay in the Kingdom as a retiree, the following shall apply:

(a) He/she must be 60 years of age or over and has regular income. His/her bank account deposit shall not be less than Baht 200,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown; or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 20,000.

(b) If he/she is under 60 years of age but not less than 55, the alien shall have regular income with a bank account deposit of not less than Baht 500,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown, or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 50,000.

Documentation to be submitted includes:

1. Application form
2. Copy of the applicant's passport
3. Proof of income, e.g., retirement pension, interest earnings or dividends, etc.; and/or
4. Certificate of local bank account deposit together with copies of bank account records
5. Only in the case set out in clause (6), the same documentation as stated in clauses 1-4 above shall be required.

Do each of the 4 copies of *5-7  have to be individually notarized?

Or, is it three copies of the notarized document?

8 hours ago, eljuwa said:

If I want to do the one year extension for permission to stay; I leave the country before 20 June and on my return to Thailand before 20 June, do I apply for the one year extension to stay at the Thai Airport ?? Or, do I have to go to the Thai Immigration Office. Of course, I will provide all proof of income or any other documentation that is required.

Any time you enter the kingdom you generate a permission of stay, if you enter with a valid in date O-A visa that gets you a 1 year permission of stay. Even if you arrive 1 day before the 'visa' expires, you still generate a 1 year permission of stay, which obviously is then beyond the end date of the visa. Visas allow you to enter Thailand, permissions of stay allow you to be in Thailand. 

If you wish to extend that permission of stay, you have to wait until near the end of its duration, some offices specify 30 days but most and I think Chiang Mai, says 45 days prior to the end. You would go to the local incountry immigration closest to where you are deemed resident to do this. 

If you wish to leave the kingdom, for a short period, after the visa has expired, but while you still hold a valid permission of stay, you get a re-entry permit (single or multiple) which is valid to the end of that permission of stay. Similarly once you extend a permission of stay, if you ever wish to leave and return, you need to get a re-entry permit to keep the permission of stay valid. 

Visas (generally) come from embassy's and consuls outside the kingdom. 

Permissions of stay, extensions of permissions of stay, and re-entry permits all come from immigration within (or at the borders of) the kingdom. 
Understanding the 2 systems are effectively seperate helps to understand the processing. 

12 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Do each of the 4 copies of *5-7  have to be individually notarized?

Or, is it three copies of the notarized document?

Yes

Yes

Yes to what?

Three copies of the one notorized document or one original, notorized, and three copies notorized also?

When you give advice on TVF forum it helps to be as specific as possible.

I am interested in why you posted I I should get a med certificate from California? I would likely do so but I don’t have a California address. It would make sense to get a medical certificate closer than Azusa, which is out of the way, maybe near LAX airport where I would stay in a hotel, or perhaps a clinic recommended by and near to the Royal Thai Counsulate. I see there is an urgent care clinic near LAX maybe they are familiar with visa medicals.

The hotels in the area appear to be extremely expensive and I would like to avoid getting a rental car if possible and take public transportation UBERs instead.

On 7/17/2019 at 5:23 PM, lopburi3 said:

1.  Visa does not specify permitted stay - that is the stamp you receive on entry from immigration that allows stay.

2.  O-A multi entry should receive a one year permitted to stay from any entry during validity of the visa.

3.  To obtain the 'extra year' you must exit/return while the visa is still valid.

Make sure you return before the date on the actual visa stamp - not a permitted to stay stamp - to obtain a new one year stay.

Lopburi 3

Thanks. Your input is quite valuable

48 minutes ago, mikey88 said:

Why don’t you just get your 80,000 baht deposited monthly into a Thai bank as per the rules.

That’s  what they want..

Actually it has never been 80k per month and even the 65k per month is not being accepted by some offices.  And making transfers in today's world is proving very complex as most arrive with no foreign indication of source at local account which may cause issues with income letter or immigration acceptance.  

Archived