WP3 requirement for Non-Imm B (or Non-Imm O)

I am changing jobs in Thailand and have come across a requirement for a new Non-Imm B I have not experienced before, for a WP3 letter from Ministry of Labour (a pre-auth for a work permit)

To apply for Type B visa for my new job I have been told by company lawyers (Deloitte nonetheless) that

a) I have to be outside of the country when a WP3 is applied for by the company.  This process will take about 5-6 days

b) They will courier the WP3 letter to me, which I must use when applying for the Type B

c) The MFA also recommends you apply for the type B in the country of your residence (my case the UK and a very expensive trip) but I have never had to do that before.

I have never experienced this WP3 requirement before. Questions:

1) Is this because new WP will be from Ministry of Labour, and not the One Stop Service (my previous employers had One Stop privileges) ?

2) The Vientiane Thai embassy says "A copy work permit or WP3 document issued by Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare if the applicant has previously worked in Thailand."  I think in the case of a work permit instead of a WP3, this is for when you are renewing a Type B for the same company?  Can anyone clarify?

3) As I have family (wife/child) here I am wondering to skip all of this and get a non-O.  And apply for a Work Permit from within the country on this.   Is this only possible in One Stop?  Any reason why my new company couldn't do this via Ministry of Labour?   The company lawyers are recommending the Type B but I fail to see why

Many thanks

The ministry of labour also recommends you

Edited by drbrit
Additional info

With a non imm O visa or extension the company can apply for your WP, no need to leave Thailand. Did it for years in Thailand.

The reason companies want you to get a B is because when you get your extension they think it gives them control over you, extension ends at the same time as the job.

With a visa or extension based on being married ( O ) you keep them and no-one can cancel them.

Don't care what your company lawyers say, an O is fine for a WP. Ask your local labour office, lawyers and Imm know nothing about it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

With a non imm O visa or extension the company can apply for your WP, no need to leave Thailand. Did it for years in Thailand.

The reason companies want you to get a B is because when you get your extension they think it gives them control over you, extension ends at the same time as the job.

With a visa or extension based on being married ( O ) you keep them and no-one can cancel them.

Don't care what your company lawyers say, an O is fine for a WP. Ask your local labour office, lawyers and Imm know nothing about it.

Thanks.   Well I wouldn't say it is because of having control - these are companies I have known and worked with for years.  In my experience Its more a case that usually the lawyers or HR are so used to doing it with a Type B, but I know for a fact (as you pointed out) many people get a WP based on an O.   I was just wondering if there are any special conditions attached to that, for example only with BOI/One-stop privilege companies, or can it be via Labour Dept application as normal.

4 minutes ago, drbrit said:

Thanks.   Well I wouldn't say it is because of having control - these are companies I have known and worked with for years.  In my experience Its more a case that usually the lawyers or HR are so used to doing it with a Type B, but I know for a fact (as you pointed out) many people get a WP based on an O.   I was just wondering if there are any special conditions attached to that, for example only with BOI/One-stop privilege companies, or can it be via Labour Dept application as normal.

Doesn't have to be BOI. 

Any company can do it.

Lawyers don't like it as well because the company may ask why 1800 baht for a WP has cost 30,000+ ????

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1