Crime - Increasing? Phuket discussion

Old Croc

Our street in Chalong only has 9 houses, all occupied by westerners or mixed families.

In recent weeks 3 have had break-ins or attempted break-ins. One European guy lost some valuable computer equipment and other valuables. In the other attempts they either found nothing or were scared off by dogs.  The Police have demonstrated little interest in getting involved in investigations.

In nine years here I only know of 1 previous robbery attempt in the street.

There are several building projects ongoing in the vicinity, including the large Tiger Kingdom site, and these have resulted in migrant workers camps springing up nearby.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in these crimes, in their part of Phuket, in recent times?

Do posters consider the downturn in the tourist numbers have had an impact, or is it just the influx of itinerant workers locally taking advantage of soft targets? (lots of bushland between the houses makes detection harder)

Crime stories from other Provinces would have little relevance and would be best placed on local forums. 

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

Live very close to the back entrance of Wat Chalong, same now as it was 4 yrs ago unless you include #%$@^ and there loud exhausts!!

Yes, those bikes have become a real noise pollution problem here as well.

There are some Yabba dealers operating from a property not far away who could have something to do with the problem.

For reasons that could be worked out, police seemingly have little interest in looking at that venture.

I've heard some character has been stealing from massage shops in the Rawai area. Six in all. Apparently he gets a rub, asks to use the toilet and steals from the workers bags.

22 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Apparently he gets a rub, asks to use the toilet and steals from the workers bags.

Don't think that will end well. 

You can xpect any prolonged downturn in tourism to result in an increased crime rate. It's only a matter of time now given how bad the current low season is looking.

Start a community beat show them how its done - nothing wrong with securing your area and they will look total morons when it gets in the news that residents have to police their own street! 

Get it done - teach them how its done - they have never been abroad and have little concept of civilisation as you know it - so you lead like a shepherd and show them by actions

You may not realise it but if you were to spot test a local on 'common sense' like world geography, basic physics, chemistry or mathematics you would be astounded at how poor their comprehension is

I have not found one that could locate England on the world map - I have met many that took over 2 minutes to find their beloved home country - and tried to start a conversation to avoid answering. Try it out - explore the local know how - you will be surprised at what level its at (elementary school comprehension at best)

1 hour ago, MartiniMan said:

Start a community beat show them how its done - nothing wrong with securing your area and they will look total morons when it gets in the news that residents have to police their own street!

Are you sure they'll be the only ones looking like total............oh, never mind.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:27 PM, RedCardinal said:

Don't think that will end well. 

You can xpect any prolonged downturn in tourism to result in an increased crime rate. It's only a matter of time now given how bad the current low season is looking.

Not a happy ending 

I stayed a long time on Phuket, Kata, when it was quiet !!! When I left, about 10 years ago, there were already a lot of break ins in Chalong and Rawai. Also, no one drove late at night because of gangs pushing you off your bike to rob you, and there were a few rapes around N’ai Harn, Prom Thep. So I wouldn’t say it was something new. I was offered a lovely house down Fisherman’s Way, but refused as I was worried of the break ins. 

23 hours ago, MartiniMan said:

Get it done - teach them how its done - they have never been abroad and have little concept of civilisation as you know it - so you lead like a shepherd and show them by actions

You may not realise it but if you were to spot test a local on 'common sense' like world geography, basic physics, chemistry or mathematics you would be astounded at how poor their comprehension is

I have not found one that could locate England on the world map - I have met many that took over 2 minutes to find their beloved home country - and tried to start a conversation to avoid answering. Try it out - explore the local know how - you will be surprised at what level its at (elementary school comprehension at best)

My idea of "common sense" doesn't include things learned in school. Am I wrong? Simply because someone did not have the opportunities you did doesn't mean they lack common sense. From your treatise I guess you don't include correct spelling (often learned in school) in your definition of common sense.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:10 PM, MartiniMan said:

What you say is quite true. It's the education system in Thailand that is the problem. There's a vested interest in restricting education for the masses.

As far as emotional intelligence goes, Thais would probably be at the top of the tree.

My GF is guilty as charged. However, she is also street-smart at a level I could never hope to attain. It's a mistake to think Thais are intrinsically dumb.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:10 AM, MartiniMan said:

If you ever watched "street walking" with Jay Leno you'd realize it's similar in your beloved nation.

15 hours ago, geisha said:

I stayed a long time on Phuket, Kata, when it was quiet !!! When I left, about 10 years ago, there were already a lot of break ins in Chalong and Rawai. Also, no one drove late at night because of gangs pushing you off your bike to rob you, and there were a few rapes around N’ai Harn, Prom Thep. So I wouldn’t say it was something new. I was offered a lovely house down Fisherman’s Way, but refused as I was worried of the break ins. 

I remember those times, particularly with the attacks on bike riders. Very dangerous, potentially deadly. Not so prevalent now, happily.

I guess what I'm asking is, in light of the rash of break-ins in my street recently, has anyone else noticed an increase in crime since the down turn in tourism that has been highlighted in several threads of late?

We have lived in Rawai for 3+ years.  The only issue we have seen is that drug selling by the Sea Gypsy village is now done out in the open on the side of the road.  

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I remember those times, particularly with the attacks on bike riders. Very dangerous, potentially deadly. Not so prevalent now, happily.

I guess what I'm asking is, in light of the rash of break-ins in my street recently, has anyone else noticed an increase in crime since the down turn in tourism that has been highlighted in several threads of late?

I haven't, nor have I had anyone I know mention increased crime.  Doesn't mean it isn't happening, just not in the areas I'm normally in.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Not yet.....

13 hours ago, steelepulse said:

I haven't, nor have I had anyone I know mention increased crime.  Doesn't mean it isn't happening, just not in the areas I'm normally in.

Same for me.

Thankyou for your contributions.

It seems the increase in crime in my locality is most likely related to the prevalence of workers camps nearby, or perhaps the drug dealers down the street.  Not because of any tourist downturn. 

On 7/18/2019 at 5:41 PM, geisha said:

I was offered a lovely house down Fisherman’s Way, but refused as I was worried of the break ins.

Probably one of the safest housing estates around (assuming your talking about the gates estate and not the open public estate just to the left). It might have changed, but all the guards there were armed. The owners have a lot of history here in Phuket and Chalong. If you know about that history you'll also understand part of the reason why they had (have?) armed security on the estate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apparently the thief who has been breaking in to houses in my area has been caught.

A Thai, not a migrant worker - my bad, possibly identified from pictures of him taken at several premises. Some victims have posted pics of him around the village.

Lives in the infamous Soi Ta-ied.  Stolen property was found at his premises.

Archived