Jump to content
BANGKOK 18 August 2019 20:06
Old Croc

Crime - Increasing? Phuket discussion

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Our street in Chalong only has 9 houses, all occupied by westerners or mixed families.

In recent weeks 3 have had break-ins or attempted break-ins. One European guy lost some valuable computer equipment and other valuables. In the other attempts they either found nothing or were scared off by dogs.  The Police have demonstrated little interest in getting involved in investigations.

In nine years here I only know of 1 previous robbery attempt in the street.

There are several building projects ongoing in the vicinity, including the large Tiger Kingdom site, and these have resulted in migrant workers camps springing up nearby.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in these crimes, in their part of Phuket, in recent times?

Do posters consider the downturn in the tourist numbers have had an impact, or is it just the influx of itinerant workers locally taking advantage of soft targets? (lots of bushland between the houses makes detection harder)

 

Crime stories from other Provinces would have little relevance and would be best placed on local forums. 

 

Edited by Old Croc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Desperate people trying to survive...you have abundance...they want to take their share...

 

Entitled...they would likely say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope no change. Business as usual in Patong and Maikhao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

Live very close to the back entrance of Wat Chalong, same now as it was 4 yrs ago unless you include #%$@^ and there loud exhausts!!

Yes, those bikes have become a real noise pollution problem here as well.

 

There are some Yabba dealers operating from a property not far away who could have something to do with the problem.

For reasons that could be worked out, police seemingly have little interest in looking at that venture.

I've heard some character has been stealing from massage shops in the Rawai area. Six in all. Apparently he gets a rub, asks to use the toilet and steals from the workers bags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Apparently he gets a rub, asks to use the toilet and steals from the workers bags.

Don't think that will end well. 

 

You can xpect any prolonged downturn in tourism to result in an increased crime rate. It's only a matter of time now given how bad the current low season is looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Start a community beat show them how its done - nothing wrong with securing your area and they will look total morons when it gets in the news that residents have to police their own street! 

Get it done - teach them how its done - they have never been abroad and have little concept of civilisation as you know it - so you lead like a shepherd and show them by actions

You may not realise it but if you were to spot test a local on 'common sense' like world geography, basic physics, chemistry or mathematics you would be astounded at how poor their comprehension is

I have not found one that could locate England on the world map - I have met many that took over 2 minutes to find their beloved home country - and tried to start a conversation to avoid answering. Try it out - explore the local know how - you will be surprised at what level its at (elementary school comprehension at best)

Edited by MartiniMan
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The moral of this story is - get some dogs!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SteveK said:

The moral of this story is - get some dogs!

.............that won't take food from strangers.

 

Completed that for yer.....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 2:27 PM, RedCardinal said:

Don't think that will end well. 

 

You can xpect any prolonged downturn in tourism to result in an increased crime rate. It's only a matter of time now given how bad the current low season is looking.

Not a happy ending 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stayed a long time on Phuket, Kata, when it was quiet !!! When I left, about 10 years ago, there were already a lot of break ins in Chalong and Rawai. Also, no one drove late at night because of gangs pushing you off your bike to rob you, and there were a few rapes around N’ai Harn, Prom Thep. So I wouldn’t say it was something new. I was offered a lovely house down Fisherman’s Way, but refused as I was worried of the break ins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MartiniMan said:

Start a community beat show them how its done - nothing wrong with securing your area and they will look total morons when it gets in the news that residents have to police their own street! 

Get it done - teach them how its done - they have never been abroad and have little concept of civilisation as you know it - so you lead like a shepherd and show them by actions

You may not realise it but if you were to spot test a local on 'common sense' like world geography, basic physics, chemistry or mathematics you would be astounded at how poor their comprehension is

I have not found one that could locate England on the world map - I have met many that took over 2 minutes to find their beloved home country - and tried to start a conversation to avoid answering. Try it out - explore the local know how - you will be surprised at what level its at (elementary school comprehension at best)

My idea of "common sense" doesn't include things learned in school. Am I wrong? Simply because someone did not have the opportunities you did doesn't mean they lack common sense. From your treatise I guess you don't include correct spelling (often learned in school) in your definition of common sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2019 at 6:10 PM, MartiniMan said:



You may not realise it but if you were to spot test a local on 'common sense' like world geography, basic physics, chemistry or mathematics you would be astounded at how poor their comprehension is

I have not found one that could locate England on the world map - I have met many that took over 2 minutes to find their beloved home country - and tried to start a conversation to avoid answering. Try it out - explore the local know how - you will be surprised at what level its at (elementary school comprehension at best)

What you say is quite true. It's the education system in Thailand that is the problem. There's a vested interest in restricting education for the masses.

As far as emotional intelligence goes, Thais would probably be at the top of the tree.

My GF is guilty as charged. However, she is also street-smart at a level I could never hope to attain. It's a mistake to think Thais are intrinsically dumb.

Edited by Lacessit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...