Renew visa, now or later

Hello Forum.  I have non immigrant O visa based on marriage.  When this visa expires I will be out of the country for about 2 months.  Do I renew my visa now or come back into Thailand with visa exempt then get another non immigrant O visa.  Or does it matter?  Thanks for useful advice.  I do not want to get a visa extension until next year due to tax considerations.

What do you have now?

Do you have a multiple entry non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate or a extension of stay based upon marriage?

You could enter on a visa exempt entry and then make a trip to a embassy or consulate to apply for a non-o visa.

My visa expires this November 6, 2019.  I am leaving Thailand for 2 months the end of September.  I have a non immigrant O visa multi-entry based on marriage from Savannakhet.  I will re-apply for this visa in Savannakhet again.  I will be traveling in and out of BKK airport on an international flight.  So my feeling is to renew the visa before my trip to avoid some of the reported hassles coming into BKK visa exempt (I am American) but I also could just reapply when I return to Thailand.  I will be traveling with my Thai wife.  I am not sure it makes any difference but I depend on the forum for the good advice I always receive.  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

My visa expires this November 6, 2019.  I am leaving Thailand for 2 months the end of September.  I have a non immigrant O visa multi-entry based on marriage from Savannakhet.  I will re-apply for this visa in Savannakhet again.  I will be traveling in and out of BKK airport on an international flight.  So my feeling is to renew the visa before my trip to avoid some of the reported hassles coming into BKK visa exempt (I am American) but I also could just reapply when I return to Thailand.  I will be traveling with my Thai wife.  I am not sure it makes any difference but I depend on the forum for the good advice I always receive.  Thanks.

I'd take UJ's advice in this situation.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You could enter on a visa exempt entry and then make a trip to a embassy or consulate to apply for a non-o visa.

You could leave and re-enter the country to get a new 90 day entry shortly before your trip and then get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of your 90 day entry valid instead of a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1