Sugar free drinks in Thailand

Compared with the numerous diet and sugar free drinks available in expat countries I have found it very difficult to find anything like the choice here in Thailand.  The only soft drinks for example I have been able to find so far with a diet or sugar free option has been Pepsi Max and occassionally a Diet Coke bottle or tin will appear.  Can anyone suggest which supermarkets carry a more extensive selection from their experience please?

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

All of them sell WATER !

Pepsi Max & Diet Coke and all similar drinks contain aspartum which is possibly worse for you than sugar.

Sugar = weight gain. fatties have a lot of possible health issues

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Sugar = weight gain. fatties have a lot of possible health issues

Depends on how much you consume vs how much you burn off. One full strength Coke plus 5 glasses water will give you the taste and the hydration you need.

Beer is a great alternative !

The sugar free sprite stocks in the 7/11 here seem a bit erratic (was thinking to try a wholesaler to get some), lots of Pepsi Max & Coke zero, as well as coke light etc.Est cola do a sugar free but it tastes a little different...

I've taken to drinking Aquafina soda water in cans from the Jiffy garage shop,(poor mans Perrier) , and put 500 mg effervecent vitamin C in the water sometimes.

Lot of low Sugar Almond milk options available, from most major supermarkets, a bit more expensive than coke though.

Friend drinks Coke Cola but has this changed ? used to buy 'Sugar Free', now appears for past month or so to say 'Less Sugar'  ....  Never drink the stuff myself

Always make my own sugar free/sweetner free drinks for past 6 years.

You need to know what you are buying with sugar free. It only meens actual sugar has not been added.

They have to use sweetener of some sort and some of that stuff they use is worse than actual sugar. Read the label contents and look them up on google. 

You need to buy a goid blender machine and Mae your own drinks from natural fruits. Or fing some natural fruit drinks in cartons etc. that state no sweeteners added.

i have been sugar free for 30+ years, do not drink Coca, or other black shit. And no machine drinks. I am 78 and my sugar readings are around 6 all the time. 

16 minutes ago, ignis said:

Friend drinks Coke Cola but has this changed ? used to buy 'Sugar Free', now appears for past month or so to say 'Less Sugar'  ....  Never drink the stuff myself

Always make my own sugar free/sweetner free drinks for past 6 years.

They have changed name from Coke Zero to Coke No Sugar - still no sugar.

Coke Soft Drink No Sugar 1.25L Single

Photo of all I can find with NO or Less Sugar...........  use to have as above with black cap, now Tesco Lotus only have as photo with Red cap and Original with Blue cap..........  Friend coming this weekend and normally buy the Black cap 'No Sugar'................  Tried Big C also the same  !!!  ?? 

image.thumb.png.9570fb44454d7bec7450b0d05c01d824.png

Found these at the Tops. Tiny squeeze bottles for 80 baht a piece but you really only need the smallest squeeze to add to half a liter of water. I love the taste (there is also strawberry/melon or something but that doesnt attract me). 

20190717_094037.jpg

Having worked in the Lab. in the soft drinks industry, the issue is complex. While those drinks that contain full sugar can aid weight increase at least one can simply cut down on intake. With so called artificial sweeteners, they might aid weight loss but they have a much more complex effect on the body. Saccharin has probably less affect on the human body than the others because, in the main, it doesn't break down into other components and leaves the body pretty well in tact. But used only by itself it has the disadvantage of leaving a bitter after-taste and that's why other sweeteners are added. Aspartame is one of those added to curb the bitter after taste of Saccharin but it is still a subject of research and debate. Its affect on the body is complicated because it does break down into other compounds. People with certain types of urinal problems can be adversely affected by aspartame. Another product of aspartame is Methanol, which is of course, toxic. However, aspartame by itself is not the real problem but other foods we eat (vegetables, fruits) also contain small amounts of methanol so, theoretically, by ingesting aspartame in regular quantities increases methanol build up. In the main, artificial sweeteners have little or no nutrient value. The CO2 in the carbonated varieties can also cause problems basically by the CO2 expansion in the stomach.

11 minutes ago, ignis said:

Photo of all I can find with NO or Less Sugar...........  use to have as above with black cap, now Tesco Lotus only have as photo with Red cap and Original with Blue cap..........  Friend coming this weekend and normally buy the Black cap 'No Sugar'................  Tried Big C also the same  !!!  ?? 

image.thumb.png.9570fb44454d7bec7450b0d05c01d824.png

Have not ordered from Tesco since June 23 but still listed online and Tops still lists Coke Zero online so not sure what you would get.  Have been drinking Sprite as don't need the cola and prefer something once in awhile other than water.  

Rather than buying sugar free soda, which always has artificial sweeteners, which may or may not be carcinogenic, but are most certainly unhealthy to consume, Oishi has one green tea, which is 100% green tea, with no sweeteners, or additives. It is quite good. Available in alot of supermarkets. 

Archived