Sugar free drinks in Thailand

Another problem is the unavailability of sugar free yoghurt and drinking yoghurt.  A friend who works in the sugar industry told me that Thai yoghurt producers were amongst their biggest customers.  Basically all yoghurt products with the exception of a few local specialty products and some imported brands have at least a couple of spoonfuls of sugar in them. 

Perrier has lemon and lime flavored soda water.

It is expensive but no sugar or calories.

Generally, Soda water has no sugar.  Tonic water has sugar.

It will not kill you to squeeze a lemon, lime or orange in soda water and add 1/4 to 1/2 pack of equal to it.

Much better then diabetes full sugar sodas.

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Another problem is the unavailability of sugar free yoghurt and drinking yoghurt.  A friend who works in the sugar industry told me that Thai yoghurt producers were amongst their biggest customers.  Basically all yoghurt products with the exception of a few local specialty products and some imported brands have at least a couple of spoonfuls of sugar in them. 

There is no such thing as totally sugar free natural yogurt.

The lactose in it creates sugar.

But, natural unsweetened yogurt has many good things in it which outweigh the low sugar content.

47 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

All the big grocery store carry coke light even Makro. Just move a can from the fridge to the freezer for 10 minutes. Nice ice cold.

What was reported missing is Coke Zero aka Coke No Sugar.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:22 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My wife seems to have a pretty easy time in BKK finding cans of Coke Light, which I gather is no sugar and no calories. (Don't ask me what's in it. She drinks it, not me!)  Coke Light is the kind with the red can and silver top ring.

Carbonated Water, Colourant (Caramel), Acidulant (Phosphoric Acid), Non-nutritive Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame-K, Sucralose), Flavouring, Preservative (Sodium Benzoate), Trisodium Citrate and Caffeine. Coca-Cola Light contains 2kj per 330ml serving due to 100% reduction in sugars compared to regular Coca-Cola.

Coca-Cola Light

The body treats artificial sweeteners the same as sugar so just as bad for you. Drink water instead.

13 hours ago, Arkady said:

Sugar free yoghurt are EVERYWHERE NOW, even at deep Esarn Makros...

17 hours ago, shaurene said:

You need to know what you are buying with sugar free. It only meens actual sugar has not been added.

They have to use sweetener of some sort and some of that stuff they use is worse than actual sugar. Read the label contents and look them up on google. 

You need to buy a goid blender machine and Mae your own drinks from natural fruits. Or fing some natural fruit drinks in cartons etc. that state no sweeteners added.

i have been sugar free for 30+ years, do not drink Coca, or other black shit. And no machine drinks. I am 78 and my sugar readings are around 6 all the time. 

not after a meal at night I guess my sugar readings are similar to yours

but after a meal at night time (2hours after ) I go up to about 8

16 hours ago, userabcd said:

Soda water, even bottled water and a dash of freshly squeezed lemon is quite refreshing, yes contains a little sugar.

Those chemically concocted sodas seem to be not too good for ones health.

There is currently no evidence that carbonated or sparkling water is bad for you. It is not really that harmful for dental health and seems to have no effect on bone health. Interestingly, a carbonated drink may even enhance digestion by improving swallowing ability and reducing constipation.

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Rather than buying sugar free soda, which always has artificial sweeteners, which may or may not be carcinogenic, but are most certainly unhealthy to consume, Oishi has one green tea, which is 100% green tea, with no sweeteners, or additives. It is quite good. Available in alot of supermarkets. 

I understand what you are saying but what if I hate tea

Pitcher of water, squeeze in half a lemon... and cut up some ginger to add ... great refreshing drink without the chemicals. Always keep on hand in the fridge.

From what I have read, the sugar free's are worse than the sugar for the body.

Sugar Free and unsweetened green tea. Numerous brands sold in most stores and all 7-11 & Family Mart. Not only good, but good for you. Also there is 1 or 2 brands of unsweetened Oolong tea. 

There is a new thing called "vitamin water". 7-11s carry it.

Shark "energy" drink in no sugar version in 7-11s.

2-3 types of sugar free bottled tea in supermarkets.

Tops has a no sugar sparkling range with 4 flavours. Only small bottles though. The Tops also has a brand called Concept Water, and it's more like an electrolyte drink with no calories.

These are the ones I have found apart from the products of big American brands.

23 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

The body treats artificial sweeteners the same as sugar so just as bad for you. Drink water instead.

But the main difference is that a bottle of normal coke has several spoons full of sugar in them, while coke zero has only several drops of artificial sweetener in it.

Plus it has no calories... so not sure how the body can store it as fat.

Your statement is quite useless unless you define "the body treats" and "bad" further.

Sugar is a source of carbohydrates, and will give your body energy. If you eat rice your body will also convert it to sugars and use it as a source of energy. 

Thanks for all the suggestions keep them coming.  I know no or low sugar Cola is available but was looking for alternatives like Sprite (which has been mentioned) am looking primarily for diet soft drinks which can be used as mixers too.  Tea would not really go with rum or whiskey I think.   ????

56 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Thanks for all the suggestions keep them coming.  I know no or low sugar Cola is available but was looking for alternatives like Sprite (which has been mentioned) am looking primarily for diet soft drinks which can be used as mixers too.  Tea would not really go with rum or whiskey I think.   ????

Try this. Some Tops (but not all) carry it.

There are 4 flavours (lemon, cola, peach and strawberry) and it is sparkling.

I like its flavour and I'm pretty sure it would go with booze. It claims no sugar and low calories on its bottle.

Edit: according to some information on the internet, Family Mart also sells it.

https://www.tops.co.th/en/hbd-peach-flavoured-sparkling-drink-330ml-pack-6

https://www.tops.co.th/en/hbd-cola-lime-flavoured-sparkling-drink-330ml

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:
On 7/17/2019 at 3:55 PM, Jaggg88 said:

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

But the main difference is that a bottle of normal coke has several spoons full of sugar in them, while coke zero has only several drops of artificial sweetener in it.

Plus it has no calories... so not sure how the body can store it as fat.

Your statement is quite useless unless you define "the body treats" and "bad" further.

Sugar is a source of carbohydrates, and will give your body energy. If you eat rice your body will also convert it to sugars and use it as a source of energy. 

Please check my comment #24. The body certainly does not treat artificial sweeteners the same as sugar. It depends on their chemistry. Sugar is a disaccharide, Fructose+Glucose and most people know (as Bob12345 points out) is a source of energy. The common artificial sweetener Aspartame is not a saccharide, it is a phenylalaninate; I don't know the full list of breakdown products within the body but here's a few; Aspartic acid and Phenylalanine (both are amino acids), Methanol and Formic acid (both are toxic). Aspartame gets metabolized very quickly but breakdown, that is, it breaks down quickly, while the products are retained longer with increasing age.. As with most intake it is mainly about the amounts consumed.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:43 AM, shaurene said:

You need to know what you are buying with sugar free. It only meens actual sugar has not been added.

They have to use sweetener of some sort and some of that stuff they use is worse than actual sugar. Read the label contents and look them up on google. 

You need to buy a goid blender machine and Mae your own drinks from natural fruits. Or fing some natural fruit drinks in cartons etc. that state no sweeteners added.

i have been sugar free for 30+ years, do not drink Coca, or other black shit. And no machine drinks. I am 78 and my sugar readings are around 6 all the time. 

Sweeteners are perfectly harmless.

It has been the most heavily tested food additive in history & all major health organisation worldwide providing positive proof that it is harmless. 

Fresh fruit juices are full of sugar. 

Archived