Stronger baht not keeping tourists away

snoop1130

Stronger baht not keeping tourists away

By THE NATION

800_d06f6f345539e6f.jpeg

Weerasak Kowsurat, outgoing Tourism and Sports Minister

Despite the appreciation of the baht, Thailand has attracted as many as 21.08 million tourists in the first half of this year, marking a 0.81 per cent growth year on year, outgoing Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat said.

He added that the number of arrivals was on a steady rise for the first four months, but dropped by 1.03 per cent in May before picking up again in June and July. 

During the same period last year, Thailand had about 20.9 million travellers. 

“The Thai tourism industry has a foundation that is solid enough to cater to many uncontrolled risks, such as a strong baht, which has made things more expensive. However, we have also learned that the average income earned from foreign tourists is still higher than the number of overall travellers entering the country,” Weerasak said.

He said this does not include the revenue generated from the government’s “Thais Travel Thailand” campaign launched to promote tourism in secondary provinces. 

“We should expand the structure of the Thailand tourism market, covering more markets and destinations, as well as those who benefit from the sector,” Weerasak added. 

He went on to say that the number of arrivals from Asean countries matched those from China, while the number of arrivals from South Asia, mainly India and Nepal, also rose significantly. Arrivals from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan also showed good growth, he said. 

“We should launch new campaigns to attract travellers from different provinces of China as well as from Eastern Europe and Central Asia,” Weerasak said. 

He also said that promotions should be offered for niche travellers, such as family groups as well as people who love sports and adventure, and those who are health conscious.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30373053

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-16

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, madmitch said:

I suppose this press release was only to be expected after the negative ones appearing recently!

I know which I believe!

those guys in Pattaya and Phuket that made those reports are dead.  

Hua Hin has been fairly busy on the weekends but it normally is. When I was younger, I only traveled to warm countries in the winter time. When I did visit those countries out of season they were dead. Why would anyone leave a country that has a cold climate in the heat of the summertime for a vacation in a tropical country? I must be missing something here or perhaps it's a comment on all the folks who can't afford wintertime holidays and aren't coming this year for their cheap holiday?

26 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

He also said that promotions should be offered for niche travellers, such as family groups as well as people who love sports and adventure, and those who are health conscious

Leave aside the warzone road casualty figures , the chronic air pollution , the nastiness entering the sea everyday , the golf club wielding taxi drivers , amongst others then yea it might pass as a place that might be considered 'ealthy .. Just don't go out .. 

Talk to the average Australian punter. Most are now going to Bali or Vietnam for holiday. Most my friends are raving about Vietnam. Reason is the baht is way too strong and the costs have risen in Thailand and true levels of service lack. Sure, when I flew back recently all I saw was Chinese at the airport but what I definitely saw was a lack of farangs. I am even having most my Thai friends in business telling me the same thing in Chiang Mai - not as many farangs this year and the smokey season has really scared a lot away and they are dreading another repeat of the same (smokey) conditions next year. 

"However, we have also learned that the average income earned from foreign tourists is still higher than the number of overall travellers entering the country,” Weerasak said.

I must have read this 10 times.

I could be having a dyslexic day...but I don't understand what he trying to say.

1 minute ago, DLock said:

"However, we have also learned that the average income earned from foreign tourists is still higher than the number of overall travellers entering the country,” Weerasak said.

I could be having a dyslexic day...but I don't understand what he trying to say.

What he is trying to say is that as there were 20.9 million visitors the the income earned from those visitors is more than 20.9 million baht!That's how you know if you made a profit!

Interesting. So basically numbers are marginally up but troops on the ground are reporting bookings etc are down.

So in other words, numbers are not down but spend per head could be down in a big way.

Sounds like an absolute disaster. 

May be with the official government now in place they can discuss it together and realise there is a problem.

9 minutes ago, Mikisteel said:

So in other words, numbers are not down but spend per head could be down in a big way.

I am 12,000 baht a month down on what I use to earn from the baht being strong. That is 12,000 baht a month less I spend now as I I do not bring in anymore to cover this short fall. I know plenty of Australians doing the same as me as in cutting spending. So in a essence, my local area in Mum and Dad's shops have lost that 12,000 from just me. Add a few more people to this all in per head count and yes, I do think Thailand is missing out. For the elite or the high earners here that get paid in baht it means nothing and there are a lot of them, but for the average Joe tourist, I think they are spending dollars elsewhere. Like I said before, I had my yearly holiday back in Australia and I actually saved money by going home. Buying luxury goods in Thailand is madness and to do that, you really need to be going somewhere else.

35 minutes ago, DLock said:

Hmmm, could be that it's time to hit the suckers harder than usual to make up for the losses ????

So if it's NOT the strong THB that is keeping tourists away,what is it,

the news of scams and rip offs,the dangerous roads.

Thailand stopped feeding the goose that laid all those golden eggs,

only took from it,, giving little back,they have brought it on themselves.

regards worgeordie

4 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I am 12,000 baht a month down on what I use to earn from the baht being strong. That is 12,000 baht a month less I spend now as I I do not bring in anymore to cover this short fall.

Yep, I am pretty much in the same boat as you, so instead of budgeting on 60,000 baht plus insurances and school fees for the kids, it's now 40,000 baht plus insurances and school fees for the kids and it's doable.

Fortunately for me, I do some consultancy work from time to time when a client or a referral is in touch and can afford to splurge, this month's been a cracker, but still trying to stick to the new budget, except for the loose women as they are my bonus....lol ???? 

11 minutes ago, DLock said:

That's what it feels like.

"When I left, everything was perfect...and just 1 month later..."

I was referring to the minister exiting, i.e. That sums it up for me.......see yah later chump !

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

Hua Hin has been fairly busy on the weekends but it normally is. When I was younger, I only traveled to warm countries in the winter time. When I did visit those countries out of season they were dead. Why would anyone leave a country that has a cold climate in the heat of the summertime for a vacation in a tropical country? I must be missing something here or perhaps it's a comment on all the folks who can't afford wintertime holidays and aren't coming this year for their cheap holiday?

Hua Hin is busy on the weekends from all the Thais that come from Bangkok for a beach weekend. Thais accounted for 1/2 of all visitors to Hua Hin. One of the reasons the Thai authorities love the Chinese so much is that they come all year round. There is no high season or low season for the Chinese tourist.

I am astounded over what's happening with the Pound Sterling (historically one of the strongest currencies in the world) and the Australian Dollar. If I were a Brit or Aussie I would certainly find someplace else to holiday.

7 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Hua Hin is busy on the weekends from all the Thais that come from Bangkok for a beach weekend. Thais accounted for 1/2 of all visitors to Hua Hin. One of the reasons the Thai authorities love the Chinese so much is that they come all year round. There is no high season or low season for the Chinese tourist.

I am astounded over what's happening with the Pound Sterling (historically one of the strongest currencies in the world) and the Australian Dollar. If I were a Brit or Aussie I would certainly find someplace else to holiday.

The Canadian dollar is a disaster as well, 35.8 baht to dollar in 2005 when I got here, 23.3 now. My budget allows for 70,000 baht per month which used to cost me $2,000, now $3,000. If things get much worse I may quit drinking.

36 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

So if it's NOT the strong THB that is keeping tourists away,what is it,

the news of scams and rip offs,the dangerous roads.

Thailand stopped feeding the goose that laid all those golden eggs,

only took from it,, giving little back,they have brought it on themselves.

regards worgeordie

They aren't staying away, marra.

20m of 'em already this year. More than ever. Goose is still cramming hard.

Archived